Starter corrosion question-gctid465420

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter corrosion question-gctid465420

I went out the other day to take my cover off and let the inside of my boat ('87 1950 cuddy with a 3.0) air out a little bit. what I saw was very aggravating. I apparently made the classic mistake of leaving my drain plug in the boat so my engine compartment and half my carpet were both under water. :banghead I drained all the water out, let it dry for a day or two, and returned today to change my old plugs, engine oil/filter, lowere unit gear lube, etc. One of the wires on my starter was literally totally corroded in two. I realized this after none of my gauges would work and the engine would not fire. after jiggling the two wire ends to get them to touch, all my gauges would work but the engine wouldn't crank...it just wants to click once when I try to start it. I have the boat battery hooked up to my truck battery so I know it's not low on juice. Could the starter no have enough power to start the engine bc there is barely any of the wire actually connected? again, it will run my blower, bilge, fish finder, stereo , etc. but it will not fire the engine. I know I need a new wire since it's cut into two pieces but could that be effecting the engine starting? It would be like jumping your car with a jumper cable that is cut in half and barely touching the other part.

Once a starter motor has been submerged, it becomes highly unlikely that it will work again. And if it does work a day or two after, it most likely will not a week or two from now.

Replace it, and replace it with a HTGR/PMGR unit, and don't look back.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Replace the starter as Rick says and also replace the wire. You might make contact to get the gauges working but not good enough to engage the starter.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Was this a salt water issue?
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
          They don't even do that well after being submerged in fresh water.
          2007 Discovery 246
          300mpi BIII
          Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
            Pat, I wondered that also. Possibly a bit of both.

Perhaps salt water re; the cable end issue, but even plain ole rain water will crust over the commutator on the motor's armature.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
              Pat, I wondered that also. Possibly a bit of both.

Perhaps salt water re; the cable end issue, but even plain ole rain water will crust over the commutator on the motor's armature.

I have rinsed/soaked salt water electrical items in fresh water and they survived, I do not recommend it for a starter though, I would give the cables chance, keeping an eye on the cable to terminal for corrosion if soaked in fresh water. Starters and alternators are cheap, check D&B electrical, they are not worth rebuilding in most cases.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

No need to replace just take it in and have it rebuilt. Cost about $80 for a starter rebuild for us in Seattle

Comment

hikepat wrote:
                  No need to replace just take it in and have it rebuilt. Cost about $80 for a starter rebuild for us in Seattle
                  Yes, however, his 1987 OEM starter motor will be a non-gear reduction motor..... probably similar to this Delco.

None of the Marine Engine suppliers are using Non-Reduction motors these days. Most everyone is using the higher armature speed HTGR/PMGR motors.

These armatures spin approx 3 X's faster than the older style, and with the gear reduction, these give the engine faster cranking RPM.

For that same $80, or close to it, he can buy one of these.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

You will have to make a bracket to the block if you buy a new style starter.

I do recommend what Rick said dbelectrical.com will have it the least expensive on the net.
                    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Also, pay close attention to the altenator. It may need replacment as well. I had a raw water coolant line break and had much the same experience. In 2 weeks they both required replacment/rebuild.

Chay

Comment

Thanks everybody. Yes, it was just fresh water (rain water) but it was probably submerged for quite some time. I looked on ebay and brand new starters are $60-$80. I'll start from there and see what I come up with. I just hope I get everything wired the right way...

Comment

Working...
                        X