New bottom Paint-gctid465255

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bottom Paint-gctid465255

What is the best way to get boat off trailer far enough to sand and paint without going to marina and having it lifted out of water.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Boat is a 1996, 2859

Thanks for any help

Roller trailer? I have put a V-block on the back of the trailer wth a short chain. Lower the front of the trailer to the ground, block the back of the boat, run the winch cable through the V-block & back to the bow eye. Jack the front of the trailer back up & hitch it to the tow vehicle in neutral & winch it off while adding more blocking as you go. You've got to ask yourself,what is it going to cost if it doesn't work as planed? Broken lower unit? The boat I did it with was going to be junked but, it worked fine.
    Ernie
    1986 3270
    Volvo 305s

MMSI 338130047
    Lake Michigan

Comment

Thanks for the info and advice. Point well taken $12500 new outdrive = $650 to lift boat out. I guess thats a no brainer:banghead

Comment

skeeter3 wrote:
        Thanks for the info and advice. Point well taken $12500 new outdrive = $650 to lift boat out. I guess thats a no brainer:banghead
        $650 for the lift sounds high to me. I think $400 is the going rate around here. (in & Out) You might want to ask for a quote to do the bottom paint. The quoted me $1200 which included them doing all of the lifting.
        Ernie
        1986 3270
        Volvo 305s

MMSI 338130047
        Lake Michigan

Comment

I'm lucky, for $100 our marina (private/for-profit) will lift the boat and allow me to do the work. I'd shop around!

It's more if they provide blocks/stands and block it, of course.

Comment

On my 2858 I blocked the back and lifted the front enough to paint back so far and then vice versa. I think I have pics in my albums...

Comment

I have a 2855 on a bunk trailer. I do the entire boat except what's under the bunks then let it cure for 24 hours. Then I chain the axles to the trailer frame. then I use two boat jacks to lift the back end off the bunks and paint under 1/2 the boat, let cure 24 hours and then drop and repeat for the front. I chain the axles so when the jacks lift the boat the trailer does not rise with it.

Comment

For a 2859....... rent four crib stands, and you'll not have to worry about a time frame.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X