What In The World Is This????-gctid465171

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What In The World Is This????-gctid465171

I saw it on a sailboat web site referring to dinghy's outboards. Claims to save 30% fuel and all sorts of other fantastic things. Looks like a bent Doel Fin made of stainless. Is it pure poopie like I think it is??????

driz wrote:
    Claims to save 30% fuel and all sorts of other fantastic things. Looks like a bent Doel Fin made of stainless. Is it pure poopie like I think it is??????
    I believe that this product can be found on aisle 5, right next to "Piston Rings in a Can", "Fix-a-flat", "rolling digital tape measures", and "self waxing boat wash".

I'm sure that there is some benefit, but to claim 30% fuel savings..... hmmmm! :90.gif
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I like the "Piston Rings in a can"

Comment

driz wrote:

I saw it on a sailboat web site referring to dinghy's outboards. Claims to save 30% fuel and all sorts of other fantastic things. Looks like a bent Doel Fin made of stainless. Is it pure poopie like I think it is??????
        It's trying to create a ducted propeller. Great for transmitting torque at low-speeds, right where a sailboat kicker would have to be. A propeller at those speeds slips a ton, and pushes water not only in the direction of thrust but radially. The duct helps direct that straight backwards.

No good for most of our boats because it increases drag and causes cavitation.

Comment

I like the piston rings in a can too. Just don't be:wacko:wacko:wacko:wacko:wackodissin my fix a flat. :hand10 I buy good old SLIME at Wallyworld by the half gallon jug. You know that mint green stuff with the pump handle on top. No more leaky tires since, especially those aluminum rims that just love to leak around the rim when they get old. I haven't pulled a tire to fix a flat in years now. OK, now about those canned rings? Do you marinate or fry?

I think the last time I saw something like that it was on an old nuclear sub in a picture. It didn't make any sense to me either and is $85. Now if you heated it and hammered it flat, well........

Comment

This is the whole ad minus the contact info. You folks tell me what this does, "Lift and separate"???? Looking at the pic right I can see it must really give it some loft right to the point where parasitic drag overwhelms your gains.

Power Thruster IV for Dinghies and Inflatables

Designed specifically for planing dinghies and inflatables, the PowerThruster IV leverages the technology used on tug boats to maximize propulsion, and incorporates lifting foils to help get your boat to a plane. The forward end of the foil is 1/4" higher than the aft end, offering a great amount of lift without sacrificing speed. Like the PowerThruster for sailboat outboards, the PowerThruster IV will increase your acceleration by as much as 22% while saving at least 30% on fuel! Plus, you will experience easier powering against strong currents and more control when backing up.

In a recent test sponsored by the product designer, PowerThruster

performance was compared to that of the leading bolt-on performance

accessory, Doel-fin.Outboard: 20hp Honda

Prop size: 9.5 inches

Boat: Caribe C-12 inflatable

Conditions: 6-12 kt winds, moderate chop

We are so confident in this product it comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

It is simple to install and comes with clear installation instructions. Holes are pre-drilled and allow for any necessary adjustments after installation.

Made of stainless steel and manufactured by Garhauer Marine, you can be assured of top quality and long life. That assurance is supported with a 10 year warranty.

There is a Power Thruster specifically for sailboat outboards too.

Products are subject to redesign without notice. The item you receive may not exactly match the item shown in the photo.

Comment

If any of you fished, you'd recognize it as a way not to cut your line in the kicker when fishing..
              Doug ;}
              MMSI: 338068776
              "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

So no one here is using "Piston Rings in a Can"???? Hmmmm!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                  I believe that this product can be found on aisle 5, right next to "Piston Rings in a Can", "Fix-a-flat", "rolling digital tape measures", and "self waxing boat wash".

I'm sure that there is some benefit, but to claim 30% fuel savings..... hmmmm! :90.gif
                  Rick: you forgot "trickle charger battery maintainers" ........
                  Captharv 2001 2452
                  "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

captharv wrote:

2850Bounty wrote:
                    I believe that this product can be found on aisle 5, right next to "Piston Rings in a Can", "Fix-a-flat", "rolling digital tape measures", "self waxing boat wash" [COLOR]"#FF0000" wrote:
                    and "trickle charger battery maintainers". [/COLOR]
                    Rick: you forgot "trickle charger battery maintainers" ........
                    There Harv..... I fixed it!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                      So no one here is using "Piston Rings in a Can"???? Hmmmm!

HaHa

Comment

Working...
                      X