Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New question, awaiting SCARY responses. Would you cut a door into your boat?-gctid464998

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New question, awaiting SCARY responses. Would you cut a door into your boat?-gctid464998

So I was curious about having some cosmetic work done to my boat. The aft area walls are liky 3 feet high with no access door. I was wondering the following?

- Would you have surgury done to the aft and have a door cut into it if there isnt one there already?

- How would this affect the structure and integrity of the boat?

- Who would b the best to have this done? Marina? Fiberglass worker? Boat Manufacturer (none near me)?

Thanks and be gentile!

Transom doors are very popular aftermarket conversions. Ask your local boat yard to recommend a fiberglass person to use. I know a guy up here in the Laconner area, and he charges about $2800. You literally can not tell that it isn't factory. He also reinforces the area so it's strong.

Comment

It can be done. My local West Marine guy, Sal, is a diver and he has photos of several boats he has cut new transom doors into. He does them all himself and they look great.

As long as you are above the water line and the swim step, it should have little effect on your hull integrity... Anyone that does fiberglass work can do this project.

Did you check out the completed projects on BOC? You are not the first to do this...
      Doug ;}
      MMSI: 338068776
      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Did he need to dive to provide pictures of his transom doors?

Comment

unixdood wrote:
          Thanks and be gentile!
          Neil - Can I assume you're OK if one of us answers this?

Comment

unixdood wrote:
            Thanks and be gentile!
            As long as this thread doesn't start checking for circumcision.
            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

rkcarguy wrote:
              Did he need to dive to provide pictures of his transom doors?
              hahahaha. You beat me to the question.

Doug
              Started boating 1955
              Number of boats owned 32
              Bayliners
              3870 presently owned
              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Time to buy a new boat with an aft door. Tell the wife that you will take the money spent on the door and use it for a down payment on the new one. Win-Win:go-

Comment

Working...
                X