Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2850 Contessa Fly bridge, Fuel Tank Refit-gctid464133

So the fun begins

A week ago I found fuel in the bulge (about 15 gallon), had a friend presser test the tank... and there is a leak... so started pulling ever thing out last night and will try to get the carpet and floor out today....

My water tank has not been useable since we got the boat years ago and now sounds like a good time to try and clean it or put a new one in....

Any one that has done this..... How did you do the carpet, looks to have a staple about ever 1/16" along one side, a friend said to get a gasket scraper but have not went to look at one

Also thinking of just putting a roll in bed liner on the mean floor and maybe a wood laminate under the table area... what do you think...?

I will be trying to keep my photo bucket updated as I work on it and post here as I am going along.

Old Step i will be rebiulding... broke in the middle of last season.. this was a quick fix

LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET

http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/ne.../Tank%20Re-fit

below are just a few more

well the tank is out and is going to the welder (A friend i work with) tomorrow

Here is the tank hold... needs to be cleaned, today...

This is the Tank as we were filling it to mark the holes

and this is the major leak... there are two other small leaks

today i will be cleaning it and pulling the water tank to try and clean it

1. After welding, you think I should seal the tank with bed liner or a flexsteel spray to help stop the pitting

2. Clean the bilge to get all the fuel out.. What should I use.. I was think warm water and dish soap....

3. I am think of putting a thin piece of plywood with Berliner on it for the new floor what do you thin

LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET (few more bilge pics)

http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/ne.../Tank%20Re-fit

Comment

I can't help you much but, I just pulled my carpet up to access the water tank, and decide to create a large hatch there for access and even storage.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/769488=36392-IMG_0507.jpg[/img]

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/769492=36393-IMG_0553.jpg[/img]

Comment

Been there and done that, I almost thought they were the pictures we took. We had the new tank sprayed with bedliner.

Comment

HAHA.. It was your pictures I studded to get an idea of how this thing was laid out.... too funny

so did you put the foam/aluminum back up or did you find a better product... that stuff was a pain to get off and I think it will be just as bad to get back on.... is it code to have it... any input would be nice.

Thank again all, my project was put on hold i was asked to come back up to the north slope to work for three more weeks... with any luck this will be the last time

but i need to order a list of parts... so i guess it is ok

Comment

Coating the tank is done with coal tar epoxy. Any thing containing rubber or acidic components are bad for the tank and can promote corrosion.
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

This is totally unrelated to your fuel tank issue.

Since you are into the project this far, I would stronly suggest that you pull the engine and replace your PDS bearings!

Click on the link beneath my signature.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

thanks rick.... now that you said that i am going to have to.... you got a part number and company you like to use... is it easy to get out and put back in???

Comment

Click on the link beneath my signature.
                    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I did... But I was reading the forum... but did not see anything right off... should have just kept reading and I would have found it.... thanks Rick

Any opinion on the "bedliner" floor plates after pulling everything out, I think i will have to make my own floor panels to go over the subfloor as there is large gaps in the current subfloor and this will give me the ability to change the floor if I don't like it... thanks

also the screws are stanless steel, right? i need to replace a few that i had to drill out since a few were striped

Comment

if you use bedliner (I'll do the same if my carpet is gone) I would recommend Durabak. It contains shredded car tires and the rubber makes it very nice to walk on but still extremely durable. Had it in my offroad truck and family loved it. Available in several colors too to match the rest. However, I wouldn't recommend anything but black and the shades of white (beige aso) as the real colors aren't as UV resistant.

Comment

neo12242 wrote:
                          HAHA.. It was your pictures I studded to get an idea of how this thing was laid out.... too funny

so did you put the foam/aluminum back up or did you find a better product... that stuff was a pain to get off and I think it will be just as bad to get back on.... is it code to have it... any input would be nice.

Thank again all, my project was put on hold i was asked to come back up to the north slope to work for three more weeks... with any luck this will be the last time

but i need to order a list of parts... so i guess it is ok
                          We put it back up and yeah it was a pain. I don't know if is required by code but it does help with sound insulation. Make sure you check that forward bilge area for gas, that was a real surprise when we opened it up.

As far as spraying the tank with bed liner I don't think it has any negative effect on the tank. The original tank sat on rubber strips and that was not where it failed.

Comment

I've always heard spraying bed liner on an oil pan causes more trouble when it starts to trap moisture.

I would be concerned spraying the tank.

Comment

neo12242 wrote:
                              I did... But I was reading the forum... but did not see anything right off... should have just kept reading and I would have found it.... thanks Rick
                              It's there in the Vault thread under [COLOR]"#FF0000" wrote:
                              A READ ME FIRST..... [/COLOR]

These are titled [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
                              "Primary Drive Shaft bearings/seals replacement"[/COLOR] and [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
                              "Why the V-8 two bearing PDS cannot be removed from AFT without removing engine!"[/COLOR]

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu... PDS bearings.

And let this image scare you!

This shows the damage that can result from PDS bearing failure. These guys were lucky, their damage was limited to the flywheel cover only.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X