X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll... who runs with a thermostat and who does not !-gctid463470

1-Runs with a t-stat.

2-Does not run with a t-stat.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

You forgot the "I have no clue button."

I have what was there and what the mechanic does.

Comment

Definitely... engines are most efficient at the correct operating temperature, too cold = bad! Why wouldn't you use one?

Comment

Why would you run with out T-Stat? They are cheap and easy to replace.

Comment

With
          Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I have one with and one without the one with gets the worse fuel economy. In the spring and the fall when the lake is down in the 60's the engine temp never gets over 125 while running at hull speed.

Ken
            Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
            DT the village idiot strikes again.
            300SD all options.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
              Definitely... engines are most efficient at the correct operating temperature, too cold = bad! Why wouldn't you use one?
              +1

If you are getting better economy out of one without there is something wrong with the one with.
              1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
              1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I will repeat what has already been said however all engines do have an optimal temperature operating range. No engine without a thermostat can keep it constant hence the thermostat. Normally running no thermo causes the engine to run cooler which causes premature wear and less than optimal fuel consumption. Most importantly, the thermostat stays closed on startup allowing the engine to get to its proper operating temp quickly whereas no thermostat will take quite a while if it ever gets there, not good.
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Iproff wrote:
                  I have one with and one without the one with gets the worse fuel economy. In the spring and the fall when the lake is down in the 60's the engine temp never gets over 125 while running at hull speed.

Ken
                  Identical engines don't get identical fuel economies... Most likely it would be something else and highly doubtful it is the thermostat causing lower fuel economy on that one engine verses the one w/o...
                  Doug ;}
                  MMSI: 338068776
                  "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone remember*Greg's thread*"Can you run without a thermostat?"

This one helps explain why we should be using a thermostat, and what happens when we don't use one.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?64383-Can-you-run-without-a-thermostat&highlight=running+thermostat*

As for me other than emergency I can't see why any one would run with out one.
                    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                    twin 454's
                    MV Mar-Y-Sol
                    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                    Twin chevy 350's inboard
                    Ben- Jamin
                    spokane Washington

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
                      Identical engines don't get identical fuel economies... Most likely it would be something else and highly doubtful it is the thermostat causing lower fuel economy on that one engine verses the one w/o...
                      Never said it did just pointing out the facts. The one without the thermostat also had the carb over hauled and the fuel economy never changed. I will find out this summer why the difference in fuel economy.

Ken
                      Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
                      DT the village idiot strikes again.
                      300SD all options.

Comment

I've never met anybody who removed their thermostats. Do people really still do that? Insane.

Comment

Iproff wrote:
                          I have one with and one without [COLOR]#ff0000 wrote:
                          the one with gets the worse fuel economy[/COLOR]. In the spring and the fall when the lake is down in the 60's the engine temp never gets over 125 while running at hull speed.

Ken
                          Iproff wrote:
                          [COLOR]#ff0000 wrote:
                          Never said it did[/COLOR] just pointing out the facts. [COLOR]#ff0000 wrote:
                          The one without the thermostat also had the carb over hauled[/COLOR] and the fuel economy never changed. I will find out this summer why the difference in fuel economy.

Ken
                          IF... The condition of the carb will affect fuel economy.

AND... A properly overhauled carb will perform better than one that needs an overhaul.

THEN... An engine with the overhauled carb will most likely deliver better fuel economy than then engine with a carb in inferior condition.

I don't think you need to wait until the summer to find out why there is a difference in fuel economy. The mind-bending mystery has been solved!

Lastly, an engine that runs at its proper operating temperature or slightly over will deliver better fuel economy than one that does not get up to operating temperature. In the absence of a thermostat and in cooler temperatures, you will get inferior fuel economy purely on the notion that the engine without the thermostat does not reach its proper operating temperature.

Comment

dktool wrote:

Back to the pole :
                            Now Dean, did I detect a Freudian slip? I'm not really convinced you're thinking of thermostats... :rofl3

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                              Now Dean, did I detect a Freudian slip? I'm not really convinced you're thinking of thermostats... :rofl3
                              :hand10
                              " WET EVER "
                              1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                              mmsi 338108404
                              mmsi 338124956
                              "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Working...
                              X