Bellows Ground And Crakshaft Rotation !-gctid459069

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bellows Ground And Crakshaft Rotation !-gctid459069

My new bellows only came with one ground clip? The book shows one on each end of the bellows (u-joint). 2ND My brothers boat Twin 454's. The backwards rotating motor spun a rod bearing. Crank junk. We have a spare left rotating ( normal direction ) crank from his old starbord enging... Are the cranks the same with eithier rotation ? Do we need marine bearings ? First price was $480 for automotive bearings. We want to do it right. Also this engine only had 20hours on it ( we did not build it !) there was water / rust in one of the exhaust ports on the head. It has a closed cooling system. All manifolds ,risers and elbows new. ????

Sorry for all the questions lately' were do I donate $ to the sight ? Its earning it this year. AGAIN

Thank You

To donate, in the main menu, scroll down to club resources. The first two items are where you donate.

Are you sure his engine turns opposite and its not in the tranny?

In any event its the cam that makes it turn in the opposite direction. You should be able to use the crank from the old engine.

There is a possibility it isn't the same and the oil holes are different.

Check here. http://www.mellingengine.com/Portals...s-standard.pdf

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

MAGPIE wrote:
      My brothers boat Twin 454's. The backwards rotating motor spun a rod bearing. Crank junk. We have a spare left rotating ( normal direction ) crank from his old starbord enging...
      • 1 wrote:
      • Are the cranks the same with eithier rotation ?
      • Do we need marine bearings ?
      • First price was $480 for automotive bearings.
      • there was water / rust in one of the exhaust ports on the head. It has a closed cooling system.
      • All manifolds , risers and elbows new. ????

• 1 wrote:
      • If the year model is the same, I believe so.

Ask an engine re-builder regarding the year model, if that's a concern.

(see ** below)
      • No.
      • $480 is likely for a complete bearing/gasket over-haul kit (minus pistons).
      • Full or Half system?

You may want to test these exhaust components as to avoid a repeat.
      • Is this a statement or a question?

As in "they are new and you're wondering why the rust".... or as in "should they be new"?

**Keep in mind that your front and rear crankshaft seals will be for RH Reverse Rotation.

Your piston wrist pin off-set is also reversed. This is somewhat tricky with the BBC because of the piston profile and valve reliefs with regard to the Exh/Int....Exh/Int....Exh/Int....Exh/Int.... BBC cylinder head design and the valves not being in-line with each other.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Doug & Rick

Raw water goes through part of the riser and out the elbow. I dont think raw water sees the manifold ( NOT Positive) . The engine doesn't see the rawwater. . .. I will make sure he gets the right seals.

As for the tranny making it go reverse rotation' hahaha thats what the surveyer told us , he was wrong ! Long battle but we will get it right.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin, in order to use a Standard LH rotation engine in place your Rev RH engine, and still swing a RH propeller, the transmission would need to be "opposite of engine rotation" capable.

Many transmissions are opposite rotation capable, but not the above!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
          X