Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpha One Gen One Replacement Options....-gctid354023

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Alpha One Gen One Replacement Options....-gctid354023

    It's getting close to that time......when we drain bank accounts!

    My Cobalt is getting wet this year. Outdrive options are a new SEI clone at $1400 (incl shipping) or a decent used at $300-600. A bit of a gamble in option 2. Upside is it leaves me w/cash for a new cockpit cover versus a patch job on the old one.

    Looking at 3-5 years until my next boat....if I don't get 12 foot-itis early. :greedy_dollars:

    Waddya think? If I go SEI, I have to consider ordering in a month or so.

    #2
    I assume you need a complete unit.

    You can not beat the SEI warranty.

    What is wrong with yours that the $300-$600 would not fix vs. purchasing a used one?
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

    Comment


      #3
      itsabowtime2 wrote:
      I assume you need a complete unit.

      You can not beat the SEI warranty.

      What is wrong with yours that the $300-$600 would not fix vs. purchasing a used one?
      Upper drive shaft seals failed sometime in the 2009 season (my first w/the boat) and besides the repair cost ($300-400) it's badly pitted, lower has a crack, and there's the possibilty of other internal damage from the seal failure. Not worth the repair and unknowns. I could wind up in the "might as well..." area quickly and expensively.

      Comment


        #4
        Ted, if you are really keeping this a few years, I agree, go with SEI. Warranties are good, and I know you like to run your boat.

        But, that said....if you find the world's cleanest Alpha One in the area (and its very possible), I wouldn't hesitate. Its a Merc and everyone up here can wrench on one.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

        Comment


          #5
          Matt, I may have found just that. An FOTFer (local boating forum member to the BOC) was selling one last Fall. I thought it sold, but he PMd me. Still available. He repowered an 89 Celebrity with/a 383 and bumped up to a Gen 2.

          Gonna check that puppy out ASAP.

          Comment


            #6
            I actually prefer the construction of the gen 1 over the gen 2.
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

            1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

            '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

            Manalapan N.J

            Comment


              #7
              tbear wrote:
              Matt, I may have found just that. An FOTFer (local boating forum member to the BOC) was selling one last Fall. I thought it sold, but he PMd me. Still available. He repowered an 89 Celebrity with/a 383 and bumped up to a Gen 2.

              Gonna check that puppy out ASAP.
              Hell yes, I would too. Also, don't forget BK Boats. I bet they might have a few, or know where you can get one.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

              Comment


                #8
                Download_Complete wrote:
                Hell yes, I would too. Also, don't forget BK Boats. I bet they might have a few, or know where you can get one.
                Even they wouldn't reccommend a salvaged outdrive unless they new it's history.

                Update is I bought the used drive. Great shape. Held pressure perfectly. The owner changed the water pump since it sat since the end of 2010 after a repower. Just pristine. Skeggard from an old chip. He even filled it w/new lube in front of me. His boat it always on a lift, so very pretty.

                Nice doo hickey he used too. Used an old 2 gallon metal garden sprayer pump, hose and fittings. Put the lube in it and pumped it. Let the pressure do the rest. With a bypass valve, used the same pump to pressurize the drive.

                Looking forward to boating after a year absence.

                Even fixing the tow vehicle next month.

                Comment


                  #9
                  tbear wrote:
                  It's getting close to that time......when we drain bank accounts!

                  My Cobalt is getting wet this year. Outdrive options are a new SEI clone at $1400 (incl shipping) or a decent used at $300-600. A bit of a gamble in option 2. Upside is it leaves me w/cash for a new cockpit cover versus a patch job on the old one.

                  Looking at 3-5 years until my next boat....if I don't get 12 foot-itis early. :greedy_dollars:

                  Waddya think? If I go SEI, I have to consider ordering in a month or so.
                  I went with SEI and am a very happy boater.:arr

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X