Alpha One Gen One Replacement Options....-gctid354023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha One Gen One Replacement Options....-gctid354023

It's getting close to that time......when we drain bank accounts!

My Cobalt is getting wet this year. Outdrive options are a new SEI clone at $1400 (incl shipping) or a decent used at $300-600. A bit of a gamble in option 2. Upside is it leaves me w/cash for a new cockpit cover versus a patch job on the old one.

Looking at 3-5 years until my next boat....if I don't get 12 foot-itis early. :greedy_dollars:

Waddya think? If I go SEI, I have to consider ordering in a month or so.

I assume you need a complete unit.

You can not beat the SEI warranty.

What is wrong with yours that the $300-$600 would not fix vs. purchasing a used one?
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
      I assume you need a complete unit.

You can not beat the SEI warranty.

What is wrong with yours that the $300-$600 would not fix vs. purchasing a used one?
      Upper drive shaft seals failed sometime in the 2009 season (my first w/the boat) and besides the repair cost ($300-400) it's badly pitted, lower has a crack, and there's the possibilty of other internal damage from the seal failure. Not worth the repair and unknowns. I could wind up in the "might as well..." area quickly and expensively.

Comment

Ted, if you are really keeping this a few years, I agree, go with SEI. Warranties are good, and I know you like to run your boat.

But, that said....if you find the world's cleanest Alpha One in the area (and its very possible), I wouldn't hesitate. Its a Merc and everyone up here can wrench on one.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Matt, I may have found just that. An FOTFer (local boating forum member to the BOC) was selling one last Fall. I thought it sold, but he PMd me. Still available. He repowered an 89 Celebrity with/a 383 and bumped up to a Gen 2.

Gonna check that puppy out ASAP.

Comment

I actually prefer the construction of the gen 1 over the gen 2.
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

tbear wrote:
              Matt, I may have found just that. An FOTFer (local boating forum member to the BOC) was selling one last Fall. I thought it sold, but he PMd me. Still available. He repowered an 89 Celebrity with/a 383 and bumped up to a Gen 2.

Gonna check that puppy out ASAP.
              Hell yes, I would too. Also, don't forget BK Boats. I bet they might have a few, or know where you can get one.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:
                Hell yes, I would too. Also, don't forget BK Boats. I bet they might have a few, or know where you can get one.
                Even they wouldn't reccommend a salvaged outdrive unless they new it's history.

Update is I bought the used drive. Great shape. Held pressure perfectly. The owner changed the water pump since it sat since the end of 2010 after a repower. Just pristine. Skeggard from an old chip. He even filled it w/new lube in front of me. His boat it always on a lift, so very pretty.

Nice doo hickey he used too. Used an old 2 gallon metal garden sprayer pump, hose and fittings. Put the lube in it and pumped it. Let the pressure do the rest. With a bypass valve, used the same pump to pressurize the drive.

Looking forward to boating after a year absence.

Even fixing the tow vehicle next month.

Comment

tbear wrote:
                  It's getting close to that time......when we drain bank accounts!

My Cobalt is getting wet this year. Outdrive options are a new SEI clone at $1400 (incl shipping) or a decent used at $300-600. A bit of a gamble in option 2. Upside is it leaves me w/cash for a new cockpit cover versus a patch job on the old one.

Looking at 3-5 years until my next boat....if I don't get 12 foot-itis early. :greedy_dollars:

Waddya think? If I go SEI, I have to consider ordering in a month or so.
                  I went with SEI and am a very happy boater.:arr

Comment

Working...
                  X