Coffee Maker and power inverters-gctid353928

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee Maker and power inverters-gctid353928

I need a bit of insight from the electrical guru's. I have a GE coffeeMaker that on the bottom that says 120v 60 hz 10.8 A, 1300 watts. The keep warm plate on high is rated at 600W. I am going to be doing a 7 day stint on the boat going up the rideau canal in the spring. I NEED COFFEE in the morning, what rating of inverter would i need to run the coffee maker in the morning before i head out for my day? I have a total of 2 batteries on board, with a switch. 1 starting and one deep cycle, both are napa batteries and not really sure what or how to determine a/h ratings etc. If someone with experience could chime in it would be great. Also would the coffeemaker be 1300W peak or continious? There is a sale on an inverter that is a true sine wave 1000W continous 2000W peak for $120 that ends this weekend, would this setup work?

Thanx

Been there done that i would go with a small propane stove and a perk coffee pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000.../dp/B00005OU9D

I have seen them for sale alot cheaper and on sale.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

If it worked, it would be really hard on your battery. Have you considered a 12v. coffee maker? Here's one:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ee-maker/55675

Otherwise, I'd get an inverter rated at least 1500 watts continuous, and make sure it runs on the house batt only, or even run it with the engine running. Just a thought...
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "GetAway"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

k-townguy wrote:
        I need a bit of insight from the electrical guru's. I have a GE coffeeMaker that on the bottom that says 120v 60 hz 10.8 A, 1300 watts. The keep warm plate on high is rated at 600W. I am going to be doing a 7 day stint on the boat going up the rideau canal in the spring. I NEED COFFEE in the morning, what rating of inverter would i need to run the coffee maker in the morning before i head out for my day? I have a total of 2 batteries on board, with a switch. 1 starting and one deep cycle, both are napa batteries and not really sure what or how to determine a/h ratings etc. If someone with experience could chime in it would be great. Also would the coffeemaker be 1300W peak or continious? There is a sale on an inverter that is a true sine wave 1000W continous 2000W peak for $120 that ends this weekend, would this setup work?

Thanx
        I had a 2000W on my sailboat with only one house battery and it was not enough. If you want to go the inverter route I would add additonal batteries.

Comment

I have 3 deep cycle house batteries and a 1500watt Inverter that surges to 2000watts. It handles my coffee maker but it is not a higher wattage unit. You really have to look around to find one with less watts requirement. My wife likes coffee out of the electric coffee maker so I of course had to comply. We can do an entire weekend on the battery bank but it does take a while to charge back up at the dock. Yes, I do have a starting battery. With only 1 house battery I would think you will burn through the charge real quick. Better add batteries and find a lower power requirment coffee maker.

Jeff

Comment

Stovetop percolator is the way to go unless you want to add a major battery bank....

Comment

Just buy a cheap percolator and use the alcohol stove. Works fine although a little slow.
              Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
                Just buy a cheap percolator and use the alcohol stove. Works fine although a little slow.
                + 1 for the percolator. Some members of our marina have them and use them on the BBQ. Great taste and smell first thing in the morning.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                  Stovetop percolator is the way to go unless you want to add a major battery bank....
                  +1

In order for a 1.3kw electric coffee maker to work, you need an inverter large enough for the load, a HLBB large enough for the task, and a means of charging the HLBB!

Stick with a stove top percolator.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Who knows what an HLBB is (Hella Large Battery Budget?) ... but 1300W is about 11A @ 120 VAC, so figuring an inverter that's 90% efficient you're over 120AH... That percolator sounds better all the time... or maybe something like a Keurig?
                    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Walmart carries a 5 cup coffee machine made by Mr. Coffee at $16. It draws 600 watts. I have an inverter rated 600 continuous and 900 surge and it runs it fine. However, I have 220 AH of golf cart batteries to power it @ 67# each.

Search Amazon.com for Butane stoves. They are very efficient and will do an 8 cup perculator in about 6 minutes. I have seen them for $12-18 with a carrying case. A canister will make 5 pots of coffee. They are about $2 each.

Inverters are a different breed of cat. There is a lot involved to properly install one. And, after using it you have to recharge the battery bank(s). Lets do some numbers here. 1300 watts thru a 90% efficient inverter divided by 12V is 120 amps. If the pot runs for 10 minites, you have used 20 AH. If the battery is not a deep cycle, then you won't start the boat with it after using 20 AH. A 65 amp alternator with the engine running at 2000 RPMs would take about 2 hours to fully bring up that bank.

120 amps is a lot of current. With a cable run between tehe batteries and inverter of 10" (5' each conductor) requires at least a #2 ga wire, and preferred is a 0 ga or 2/0. If the voltage drops between the inverter and battery, the inverter will shut down, automatically. BTW, 2/0 wire ain't cheap.
                      Captharv 2001 2452
                      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Forget the inverter and extra big wire ect ect... and just bit the bullet, and get a Honda 2000 ! Once you have one you'll find all kind of uses for it besides making coffee!:livid:

Comment

Split the difference.

Get the 1000W Honda and the 600W Mr Coffee.

The 1000W Honda is small and easily stored.
                          Jim McNeely
                          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                          Brighton, Michigan USA
                          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Harv makes a great point.

Many don't consider inverter inefficiency, what amperage it takes to make XXX watts for XX time, battery draw-down from inverter use, battery capacity, and/or what they'll do to bring the battery bank back up to snuff, and in farily short order.

If you can't do this, you're probably better off without an iverter on board.... unless it's a teeny/tiny one.

Here's the solution: Iced Coffee Moca in the morning! :kidding

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

k-townguy wrote:

Thanx
                              With the exception of Chief, everyone here has a bigger boat than you.

I would suggest going the small coffee maker route (5 cup) as mentioned, 600W inverter will work, 800 or 1000W is better. I`ve done it with 600W inverter many times in previous years.

Upgrade your house bank to 2 batteries before your trip. Either 2 x 12V Walmart in parallel or 2 x 6V in series. You`ll get about 240Ah depending upon size. You`ll appreciate have the power and not worring about it. If you don`t have room, get the biggest 12V (group 31) you can. Should give you min. 120Ah. If you go the small geny route, 1000W will do fine.

A 120V 5 cup maker takes 53A (7.5Ah) for each pot you make. you won`t have to worry about open flame or the stability of your boat.

The 12V coffee maker is even better idea. It gets the job done and you don`t have to monitor it or worry about a big wave knocking over the pot or camp stove with an open flame, and it`s faster.

For extra flavor, take a grinder and beans. The grinder will cost you another .5Ah

I`m assuming your running your engine daily, which will easily put back the 7.5Ah into your house bank.

Not much to clean either, just throw out the filter (responsibly of course) with the grinds.

Comment

Working...
                              X