Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4kW Onan Marine Generator-gctid353757

I came across a 4kW Onan Marine Generator

I wonder if that genny would be too big for me and for my boat....

I have a 1K gas genny that I thought about but diesel can be installed inside for good right and gas has to be outside as far as my research goes....

How heavy that thing is?

Is a good generator?

Any suggestions?

tks once again guys

there any "weight limit" for my 2655 to have a generator?

can the generator be mounted fixed on the engine bay and be running 100% the time there?

can a gas generator also be running in the engine bay?

what are the proper proceedures to install a generator below deck?

tks

Comment

Hi, I just bought a 4K Kohler for my 1996 2655. I will let you know how the install goes. It will be a few weeks till the work is started. It weighs about 200lbs and is 28L x18T x17D. There is plenty of room in my boat. The last owner removed the hot water heater so tons of space. A lot of people just use the small portable honda generator, but I have been using that for a few years now, tired of the hassle. Once the genset is installed, which is a lot of work, it will be nice. I will make sure to post lots of pictures.

Erich

Comment

Diesel or Gas units may be run in the bilge full time as they are marine units built for that purpose. Going diesel on a gas boat would also require you to install a diesel reservoir and keep that topped off which will also add to the already heavier Diesel unit. Personally on a single screw 2655 I would worry about weight and only opt for this smaller unit designed for applications like yours. The price is rather shocking but they are specifically designed for smaller boats and weigh only 165lbs. http://www.norwall.com/products/West...Generator.html I tried locating this very same unit for Midnight Sun years back when I wanted to install a genny. Lucked out at a boat dealership that had one removed from a demo boat as the new owner refused to have one in the boat. 5kw Kohler for $3600 delivered with 1.3hrs on the clock. Personally I would keep an eye out for a low hr used unit, way to expensive new IMHO. Here is an example of used on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Westerbrake-...#ht_500wt_1413

Or maybe give this guy a call as he seems to carry several units with warranty. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER-MARIN...#ht_500wt_1413
        Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I have to agree with Hans.

I'll add to this that even the lighter weight Westerbeke 3.0kW will affect hull attitude some, especially on boats approx 28' and under.

A while back you enquired about a kicker motor for your 21' Capri boat, if I recall.

If this is added to the 2655, this too will effect hull attitude, even more so because of the cantilever affect.

If memory serves me, you just picked up this 2655 in February... correct?

IMO, you should really get to know the boat, find out what your demands will be, and then determine if you actually need a 165 lb O/B Generator on a 2655 foot boat that may also have a kicker on the rear and perhaps someday an inflatable on Davits!

O/B Gen (165 lb), Kicker on rear (XX lbs), Future Inflatable on Davits (XXX lb) and you can see where we're headed here.

Stern heavy single prop boats of this size do not like to plane!

Some of the older Onans are difficult to find parts for, so I'd familiarize myself with the year/model number before I bought it.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

On our old 1998 2655 we had a Kohler 4kw. On the installation, the holding tank was moved back as far as possible and the genset was placed in front of it. The trick is getting it in there without pulling the engine. You can do it with lots of skinned knuckles and sweat... Be sure to put a coffer pan under it.

Putting it forward of the tank helped with weight/ balance issue. We were running a 5.7 with BIII so we never really had any trim issues. (Although we would have to send Shamu and Shamette brother-and-sister-in-law to the V-Berth when they were aboard to get the bow down on on the step.....)

Ran everything we had from AC to hot water heater to microwave.

Comment

I agree with most the post on here. The older Onans were great gensets but being older its gonna need some TLC If you do not need 4kw of power you may be better of with a new portable money wise.

The expense of the install could bring you close to the price of a new honda. 2kw for example. Most importantly make sure you install it right if you do. Goodluck!

Comment

Yes I just got the 2655 that boat gave me wings to come with ideas and options that my little capri could not accomplish, and I had such a great time doing the capri project me and my wife thought the bigger boat would be better and more fun so we got the 2655.....was the biggest bond we had so far. Was the first thing we choose together. Everything else I already had myself, house, car, furniture, bike, truck etc.....so the boat was a great thing for both of us and we had a terrific time building together....

the entire reason I thought about this marine genny was the price 1k the guys has that for 4 years and according to the owner doesnt have many hours on it..... and if I go there and pulled out of his boat myself 800 bucks....he has a 30ft PLUS boat....I thought would be a good add cheaper than the inverter and a bunch of batteries etc etc etc...........and 4K would be enough to do anything pretty much...microwave, charge bateries, tv, etc....

But the boat gonna be a little funny according what I understand because of the weight of the boat....

So it's better run my 1K gas portable generator? There any way to install that in the engine bay (that thing is veeeeeery light) or will be a risk of explosion/fire because it's not a marine generator.....????

Comment

Alexirocz28 wrote:
                  So it's better run my 1K gas portable generator? There any way to install that in the engine bay (that thing is veeeeeery light) or will be a risk of explosion/fire because it's not a marine generator.....????
                  No, you can't run it down there.

Most on this site won't want you to store it there either, but you didn't ask that.........
                  2007 Discovery 246
                  300mpi BIII
                  Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Alexirocz28 wrote:

1.... the entire reason I thought about this marine genny was the price 1k the guys has that for 4 years and according to the owner doesnt have many hours on it..... and if I go there and pulled out of his boat myself 800 bucks....he has a 30ft PLUS boat....I thought would be a good add cheaper than the inverter and a bunch of batteries etc etc etc...........and 4K would be enough to do anything pretty much...microwave, charge bateries, tv, etc....

2.... But the boat gonna be a little funny according what I understand because of the weight of the boat....

3... So it's better run my 1K gas portable generator?

4... There any way to install that in the engine bay (that thing is veeeeeery light) or will be a risk of explosion/fire because it's not a marine generator.....????
                    1.. I would ask why a perfectly good 4kw Marine Generator is selling for $1k.

2.. It could affect hull attitude and most likely will.

3.... Not necessarily better, but perhaps more practical. (I assume that you mean the Honda EU1000)

To the best of my knowledge, only one BOC member has been given permission from God to safely store a portable generator in his engine bay.

He was not given permission to operate it while in there!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

As mentioned older Onan diesel generators are very difficult to get parts for. That small they are twins or singles and shake like the devil and as diesels are very noisy. I don't think the Onan would be a good choice for a small boat..

Comment

Working...
                      X