1997 alpha 1 gen 2 maintenance-gctid352944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 alpha 1 gen 2 maintenance-gctid352944

this will be my fourth season coming up with my 97 2655. Ive done the gear oil every year and last year the exhaust bellow (super fun). I have plans to change the impeller this year . I dont have any overheating or temp issues whatsoever but i believe it is the smart thing to do. I have to pull the drive to change the impeller , so while im there i was going to do the entire bellows job. Is there more i can do while i have the drive off to be completley thorough? Gimball bearing? U joint? Im willing to spend the money while taking on this project.

Hi

Put a new shift cable in, do you run on salt or fresh water?

Regards.

Comment

fresh water , Lake Mi. Is the cable difficult to do? My cable appears to be newer. I was running some wire last year and was noticing its condition.

Comment

guys, just did a search on this and someone asked this exact question years ago. I have all my answers . so thank you and , nevermind.

Comment

Rather off topic, but did he tell you that you didn't have to pull the entire leg to change the impeller? Just split the lower end off (which you'll have to do anyway, and if you are removing the leg, will make it much more managable, weight wise).
          Bob Hawes.
          Kelowna, B.C.
          1998 Trophy 2052 WA
          4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Just make sure that you see everything, check everything and do it thoroughly. Keep comprehensive notes so that you know what was inspected "last time".

Check that damned plastic spigot that carries raw water from the outdrive through the transom and to the engine. They are well-hidden and dry out and crack and cause a lot of heart-ache. They often get crushed when the rubber hose is done up too tight.

Actually, just about anything can be beyond its serviceable date in there. The only way to be sure is to eyeball it properly and if it looks in the least bit dodgy change it.

Also, make sure that everything you don't want to corrode is plastered with marine grease (MARINE GREASE).

Best of luck.

Terry
            Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
            1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
            MMSI 235061726

Comment

Will do. thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
              X