1986 3270 electrical issue w AC outlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 3270 electrical issue w AC outlets

Does anyone know where the port side GFI is located on a 1986 3270? Starboard side is in the head. None of my outlets on the port side work after driving through horrible storm for 8 hours straight the other day.
    Last edited by builderdude; 09-12-2022, 09:26 AM.

On my 3288 there is a GFCI outlet in the galley. If it trips then all the downstream port receptacles will be knocked out. Good luck
    1990 3288 twin 150 Hinos
    previous: 1964 28' Owens express cruiser, v8 crusader

Comment

Thank you. As weird as it is the galley plug is not a GFI in mine.

Comment

Should be a GFCI protecting the entire line. A previous owner likely removed it.
        My guess is there’s an issue at the AC breaker panel for that circuit and it was causing the original GFCI to constantly trip hence the non GFCI replacement.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX" '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
        The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        My Misc. Projects
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I have a GFI in the head. It works as well as some of the plugs in the boat. Some just stopped working after a large storm I rode through last weekend. I've attempted to turn all breakers off then back on as well as resetting the only GFI I could find.

Comment

The typical set up as I understand it is one GFCI receptacle protecting all outlets on one circuit (perhaps the port side) and a second GFCI reciprocal protecting additional outlets on a second circuit (perhaps the starboard side).
            What I’m suggesting is the possibility that the OEM port side GFCI receptacle (wherever it was originally installed) was removed because of “nuisance tripping” (they do go bad with age). If a new GFCI receptacle was installed and the “nuisance tripping” continued that would indicate a potential issue anywhere in that circuit including at the AC panel itself.
            Now there’s no GFCI receptacle installed and the circuit is currently dead even after flipping all the breakers. This may suggest a compromised wire for that circuit at the first receptacle or upstream from there inside the AC panel.
            Personally Id open up he first receptacle and test for voltage there. If no voltage is present I’d look at the AC panel for the fault.

If your not comfortable testing AC voltage hire a marine electrician!
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX" '93 2556
            My Misc. Projects

Comment

So I only know enough electric to get me into trouble. My confusion with the above statement is that if the GFI is removed and the plugs just stopped working then it has to be a cut wire or the breaker tripped. I don't think it's a cut line due to it happening after a rain storm and some of the other plugs still work. I'm at a loss of ideas to look for.

Comment

If you were pounding around in a storm, a wire could have come loose.
                Justin
                1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
                AQ225D w/ 280
                MMSI 338355691
                St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

Receptacles in general are often used to make the connection from point A to point B. In other words they pass on the AC voltage to the next receptacle in the circuit. If one of the several connections at the previously mentioned receptacle has come loose or the receptacle itself has failed from a potential overloading situation (like a 2000 watt electric heater being used) the rest of the receptacles down stream will also go dead.
                  If the circuit was overloaded at some point the same failure can happen inside the AC breaker panel.
                  Again, if your not comfortable opening things up and testing for AC voltage find someone who is!
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX" '93 2556
                  My Misc. Projects

Comment

Do you know what type of wire has been used for your plugs ? Is it wire for a house ? If you can’t tell, at the plug, remove the two screws holding it and pull the plug back to see the wire. Is it solid copper or stranded wire (several small wires made into one). Solid copper = bad. Could easily break in a rough ride condition.
                    I would follow Dave’s advise, to test the circuit breaker, just have someone swap the wires from port to starboard in the fuse panel.
                    1982 3270
                    Volvo BB 140 A's
                    Killbear Marina, Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Even with a GCFI there should be a master fuse / circuitbreaker (at least in a house, I assume the same for a boat). GCFI's do go bad, quite often. I have replaced 4 (out of 5) at my house in 12 years. The larger the load, the quicker they fail. Fuses and circuit breakers go bad too. The glass-tube fuses will fail where the wire is welded to the metal caps.
                      Vibration is horrible for wiring connections. Wires break at soldering or crimp joints, they chafe at clamps or other (sharp, or harder material) items.
                      1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
                      5.8L OMC Cobra
                      2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
                      Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X