Changing Helms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Helms

Feel really silly asking this but I have not had the process explained to me and I have never sailed a boat with a Flybridge and two helm stations so I have no idea how this works. Bayliner 3288. So question is.? I start the engines (twin 150 Hinos) and head out of the Marina. Once out of the Marina I want to steer from the Flybridge. Do I turn off the lower helm completely and then go up on the Flybridge and put the keys in and do the Start Up process again or do I leave the ignition on and engines running and just turn the keys on up at the Flybridge?

Originally posted by Coxy View Post
    Feel really silly asking this but I have not had the process explained to me and I have never sailed a boat with a Flybridge and two helm stations so I have no idea how this works.
    The only silly questions are the ones that don't get asked, and then end up getting the owner in trouble!
    You will love having the F/B. Weather permitting, you will be up there most of the time!

Bayliner 3288. So question is.? I start the engines (twin 150 Hinos) and head out of the Marina. Once out of the Marina I want to steer from the Flybridge.
    or do I leave the ignition on and engines running and just turn the keys on up at the Flybridge?
    Why not pilot the boat from the upper station while leaving the Marina?
    Better visibility and better control.

Do I turn off the lower helm completely and then go up on the Flybridge and put the keys in and do the Start Up process again
    You should have a total of 4 keys..... 2 for the lower station, and 2 for the upper station.
    While on board, leave all 4 keys in the key switches!

With most of the F/B boats, the helms are wired in parallel, of which means that if you turn the key switches ON at the lower station, the upper station instruments become powered also..... and, visa-versa.

Now, with the Hino's, and not knowing the age of your boat, I can't answer the question as to how the Hino fuel supply is controlled for start-up and shut-down.
    Are they shut down via pull cables (doubtful)?
    Are they shut down via solenoid valves?
    If so, are the solenoid valves powered to operate the engine, or are they powered to shut-down the engine?
    This can make a difference regarding shut-down from the upper station while the lower station key switches are ON... or visa-versa.
    The Hino boys will need to help you with this!

But again, why not bring her out of the Marina from the upper station????

Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

That is not a silly question at all.

But... The answer is easy. Just move between the helm stations.

No changes needed.

The only caviat that I know of is that the key switch that was used to start the engines must also be operated to stop them.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
        The only caviat that I know of is that the key switch that was used to start the engines must also be operated to stop them.
        There ya go, and from a member with Hino experience!

Kevin, I have a question for you.
        If he fired his engines up from the lower station, and then went up to the F/B and turned both key switches ON, then went back to the lower station (or had his mate do this for him) and turned those key switches to OFF, would he then be able to later shut-down from the F/B?
        I would think so!

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Great question
          I always start & stop engines from lower helm, just closer, easier to hear, engine fire system controls at hand (and long term habit too)

​​​​​​- docking/undocking with lots of decent line handlers, I prefer being up top maneuvering - can simply see better.
          - solo, or with unsure line handlers, I’ll stay below, just for faster access to dock

moving between the two helms when away from dock….just ensure area is clear of other boats/debris, boat course is stable….if I have crew, get them to watch helm while I shift positions - otherwise just move swiftly from helm to helm. Gearshifts & steering always work from either position, so nothing needed there - electronics usually need to be activated up top….I carry my iPad/plotter up with me, turn on radio, depth sounder once I get there.

enjoy your command bridge - the ride is great up there.

Norm
          1985 Bayliner 3270
          110 Hino/Hurth 360A
          previous = built own Roberts V495, circumnavigated
          previous = Apollo 27
          previous = Folkes 39, sailed to Hawaii
          + few more before that..

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
            There ya go, and from a member with Hino experience!

Kevin, I have a question for you.
            If he fired his engines up from the lower station, and then went up to the F/B and turned both key switches ON, then went back to the lower station (or had his mate do this for him) and turned those key switches to OFF, would he then be able to later shut-down from the F/B?
            I would think so!

I have never done it, but yes thast is a reasonable assumption.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
            https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

So here's my .02..Shut down sequence on Hino is different than Cummins. I was taught (and maybe this is wrong) on Hinos you kill the engine (kill switch engages fuel shut off solenod) then you turn the key off. IIRC it had something to do with potentially hurting the alternators by turning the key off with the engine still running. It's what I do, maybe someone with intimate knowledge of the correct sequence can chime in.
              BTW, to the OP. I start everything from the lower helm, then go to flybridge and drive almost exclusively from there...when l arrive, I go down and then kill the engines so my start and stop is always from the lower helm.
              Brad & Michelle
              Jet & Maverick
              1993 3688 "the Kraken"
              Hino W06 250HP
              14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
              Moored at Shelter Bay
              LaConner, WA

Comment

Regarding damaging the alternator, my errors in sequence haven’t done it yet. I believe it’s because the exciter wire goes dead with the ignition key off. If the alternator were to be self excited, then there would probably be damage. Which helm I’m operating the engines from (starting and stopping) is largely dependent on what we are doing. My preference is to have the key on at the helm being used. If I’m starting from the lower, I don’t change the keyed on location.
                And it’s not a silly question at all. The best thing is to set a routine and stick to it. If there’s an engine emergency requiring immediate shutdown, you can do it from either helm. The low oil pressure alarm will go nuts, but the engine will shut down.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

On my 38 I always started from the lower but would operate from the upper. shutdown buttons would work if needed while under way.

i would start, cast lines, and head up the ladder to depart. Same thing in reverse, dock, crew gets lines, shutdown from lower station.

About the only time I didn't use upper was while single handed around the marina to go get fuel.
                  1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                  1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                  Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

If your levers are cable, this should be pretty easy to test at the dock. On my '92 you could turn the upper key on, and the lower key off, but if their was an active key, the boat would stay running.. If you have upgraded to Glendinning controls, there is a process. And if you don't follow it, they will go into alarm, which makes you essentially re-initialize the controls. Great out in the middle of a bay, but not so great if you are in tight quarters.
                    Tally and Vicki
                    "Wickus" Meridian 341
                    MMSI 338014939

Comment

Hey I would just like to say a HUGE thankyou to all those that replied. What a great bunch of people on this Forum. Awesome advice and I am now well informed and confident that I won't harm my engines.
                      Cheers
                      Coxy

Comment

Ksanders asked: If he fired his engines up from the lower station, and then went up to the F/B and turned both key switches ON, then went back to the lower station (or had his mate do this for him) and turned those key switches to OFF, would he then be able to later shut-down from the F/B?
                        I would think so!

This is how we used our 4087. I wanted the upper ignition switches to be able to shut the engines down if needed quickly, without going to the lower station. It also works in the reverse sequence, I.E start at the upper, turn the lower on, shut the upper off. The ignition switches operate in parallel, upper and lower.

Comment

Superior Diver, that was me who asked that.
                          Kevin was simply quoting me.
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                          X