X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilligan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotSure View Post
    I had a 34X (the express cruiser version so slightly lighter 16,500 and older) with the 7.4L 454s. It was an amazingly spacious boat but was slow and a gas hog. I had both motors rebuilt by a marine performance shop to both boost the HP and increase reliability. The most important thing I did was have the motors balanced.

My current boat has Cummins 6BTAs in it and they are truly simple to work on and the parts are reasonable. I get about 1.2 MPG at 22 to 24 MPH and am exceptionally happy. If you are going to do a lot of cruising go diesel. If you are going to sit in a marina then it really does not matter.
    Thanks for the insight. I put around 200 hours a year on mine with a combo of short and long cruising - from a mile or two, to 80 round trip. I guess diesel is the preference then if I can get one in my price range.

Leave a comment:

• NotSure
    replied
    I had a 34X (the express cruiser version so slightly lighter 16,500 and older) with the 7.4L 454s. It was an amazingly spacious boat but was slow and a gas hog. I had both motors rebuilt by a marine performance shop to both boost the HP and increase reliability. The most important thing I did was have the motors balanced.

My current boat has Cummins 6BTAs in it and they are truly simple to work on and the parts are reasonable. I get about 1.2 MPG at 22 to 24 MPH and am exceptionally happy. If you are going to do a lot of cruising go diesel. If you are going to sit in a marina then it really does not matter.

Leave a comment:

• PickleRick
    replied
    If only Cummins had the hp to weight ratio of the yanmar.

Leave a comment:

• Gilligan
    replied
    Cheaper parts are good. I’m tired of how proud Volvo is if their parts.

Leave a comment:

• PickleRick
    replied
    Wasn't the Silverton also equiped with 315 hp Cummins? Cheaper parts than yanmar. In the USA anyways

Leave a comment:

• Gilligan
    replied
    Great points and great advice... as always, THANK YOU!

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    replied
    Google is your friend - there are fuel curves for most engines out there. They are often generated at the engine level, hull & prop can have influence but if prop is letting engine get rated RPM it is good enough for comparison sake.

There are differing thoughts on GPH and MPG, both have use. In the case here it is about comparing engines and independent of traveled distance (GPH makes sense). If I am planning a multi-stop trip, MPG is going to help in planning my refuel points. Really MPG can get all screwed up depending on what currents and sea state are. So you have to leave a pretty healthy margin in the tank in case you encounter on of those days that you are bucking the tides and conditions don't let you run at your optimal speed.

As far as the formulas go - most modern engines are pretty effective at converting the potential energy in the fuel to crankshaft HP throughout the RPM band. There will be differences but those will be in the margins of error that you have to err to the safe side of to not find yourself out of fuel and adrift. Diesel has more potential/gallon so on that regard it will always look better than Gasoline. Pick any HP you want - it doesn't have to be peak, the GPH resulting is going to be pretty close.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
    Mike, GPH is meaningless without knowing the distance traveled.
    True fuel economy will be measured in MPG!
    I agree with Rick. We seldom operate our engines at peak HP and the fuel/power graph is not linear so you can’t just scale down from the calculations you did.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Mike, GPH is meaningless without knowing the distance traveled.
    True fuel economy will be measured in MPG!

Leave a comment:

• Gilligan
    replied
    I found a great article on calculating fuel burn. Here Is the formula and a link to the entire article.

https://www.boatingmag.com/calculati...l-consumption/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 7.40.12 AM.png
Views:	121
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	648287
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gilligan
    replied
    Great points, thank you!

KWB - what do you suspect diesels will burn at full throttle or at cruise?

as to usage?… mostly we go hull speed for local fishing, swimming and BBQ - usually well under 3 miles each way.

We do also enjoy a few weekends on the hook up to 40 miles each way and then I choose speed. Currently I get 1MPG 80 miles round trip now is $480. If we stay 3 nights I feel it’s worth it and considering that a hotel bill.

please keep’em coming - this is great!

Leave a comment:

• talman
    replied
    At hull speed, they are all the same.
    The cost of any engine due to catastrophic event is huge on every engine. That is why we over maintain our engines.

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    replied
    Depends how you will use the boat - low hours, low distance the 5.7 will be fine. Lots of hours, lots of miles - you want the Diesels. Not too many hours but need for speed - 8.1's are your pick. With the 8.1's (375hp) - expect about 31GPH per side at WOT. or in other terms a bit more that $360/hr. Which is about the same cost as a good therapist - which is why we buy boats anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    Diesel or 8.1 with 385HP. The higher HP one is more of a performance engine.

Leave a comment:

• Gilligan
    replied
    Price differences are insane!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X