No announcement yet.

2005 Silverton 34 ENGINE OPTIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only Cummins had the hp to weight ratio of the yanmar.

Comment

I had a 34X (the express cruiser version so slightly lighter 16,500 and older) with the 7.4L 454s. It was an amazingly spacious boat but was slow and a gas hog. I had both motors rebuilt by a marine performance shop to both boost the HP and increase reliability. The most important thing I did was have the motors balanced.

My current boat has Cummins 6BTAs in it and they are truly simple to work on and the parts are reasonable. I get about 1.2 MPG at 22 to 24 MPH and am exceptionally happy. If you are going to do a lot of cruising go diesel. If you are going to sit in a marina then it really does not matter.
      Current: 1998 Bayliner 4085 - Cummins 6BTA 370's
      Past: 2004 Monterey 322 - Volvo 5.7 GXi's
      Past: 1987 Silverton 34X - Crusader 454's

Comment

Originally posted by NotSure View Post
        I had a 34X (the express cruiser version so slightly lighter 16,500 and older) with the 7.4L 454s. It was an amazingly spacious boat but was slow and a gas hog. I had both motors rebuilt by a marine performance shop to both boost the HP and increase reliability. The most important thing I did was have the motors balanced.

My current boat has Cummins 6BTAs in it and they are truly simple to work on and the parts are reasonable. I get about 1.2 MPG at 22 to 24 MPH and am exceptionally happy. If you are going to do a lot of cruising go diesel. If you are going to sit in a marina then it really does not matter.
        Thanks for the insight. I put around 200 hours a year on mine with a combo of short and long cruising - from a mile or two, to 80 round trip. I guess diesel is the preference then if I can get one in my price range.

Comment

Working...
        X