Need New Gauges - Tach, RPM, Voltage, Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need New Gauges - Tach, RPM, Voltage, Oil Pressure

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've missed it!

I want to replace my command bridge gauges... they still work (the tach is a bit hit and miss, have to whack it all the time to get it to stabilize), but they are full of moisture and look like [email protected] I have a fully functional NMEA network, a Raymarine MFD and a multifunction gauge from Simrad which I use mainly for fuel flow currently, although it can display pretty much anything coming along the wire. I'm wondering if there's an easy(ish) way to convert my remaining analog gauges to digital via my NMEA network? I'm pretty handy and very techy... so not worried about that side of it. Also, whilst cost is always a factor, again... not too bothered by it.

Any recommendations? My boat is in my signature... thanks!
    Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
    Tsawwassen, BC
    1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge - "Island Passport"
    Mercruiser 7.4L (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
    BRAVO III retrofit
    Home Marina: Tillicum Bay Marina, Sechelt Inlet, BC

I came close to doing this myself, but ended up just replacing the gauges with newer Faria ones (easy to see).

To get the data into your MFD, you’ll need one of these interfaces - https://digitalmarinegauges.com/seag...basic-edition/.

You’re looking at around $1,000 if you do the work yourself and probably double that if you hire someone.

In the end, I decided to keep my MFD only showing chart and heading data instead of switching back and forth.

And new gauges cost less - and were very easy to install.

Edd M. Schillay
    Captain of the "Starship Enterprise" / NCC-1701-C
    2002 Bayliner 3788
    Venice Yacht Club / Venice Island, FL

Our prime directive: Wherever we go, we go boldly.

Comment

• tdcooper99
      tdcooper99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I'll check it out. I've had Faria recommended to me by another buddy as well if I choose to go that route.

If/when I add the ability to view my engine gauges on my MFD this is what I will go with. It's not all that bad price wise at $355 US:
    https://nolandeng.com/product/rs11-c...ata-converter/
    You can get one and use it for 2 engines if you only need the basic sensors. If you start adding exhaust temp, boost pressure you might exceed capacity and need 2.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian, MMSI 338355743
    1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Looks like Airmar is getting into the game with their SmartBoat series. Not sure on pricing though quick search showed $1000.00+ range.

https://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=231

James
      1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
      Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
      Lowrance Electronics!
      Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
      Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
      AGLCA #8340
      MTOA# 7469

Comment

Just a heads-up if you decide to stay analog (inexpensive fix) - my personal experience with Faria (recently replaced upper and lower helm gauges; see my forum submissions) is a 20% fail rate from the manufacturer. Be prepared to return failed gauges via seller/manufacturer warranty (don't throw away the packing boxes). Upon installation of working gauges upper and lower, indications from same input source (oil pressure, voltmeter, etc.) were substantially different (+/- 30%). Quality control at Faria is severely lacking in my opinion, but probably not worse than other sources. Given the deltas between the upper and lower readings, I cue on anomalies, e.g., if upper indicates 40 PSI and lower indicates 50 PSI, I cue on the + or - trends at each station. I don't need actual data to the nano - I just need to know if there's a problem looming.

Comment

Working...
        X