Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty477
    commented on 's reply
    Yes - that is where it gathers if you have those leaks.

• MarkBa
    replied
    Thanks Smitty477 but there is no oil on the outside of the engine other than at the rubber cap at the top of the flywheel housing and the single motor mount bracket bolt that I removed that penetrates the housing. No oil underneath or anywhere else on the engine.

Leave a comment:

• smitty477
    replied
    It is more likely coming from the valve cover gasket or from the tach sender area.
    Clean the area up and then secure some paper towels adjacent to the valve cover and the tach sender area and see which gets 'wet'.

Leave a comment:

• MarkBa
    started a topic EH700 Crankcase oil in flywheel housing

EH700 Crankcase oil in flywheel housing

I recently removed the right rear motor mount bracket doing some maintenance on the motor mount. I removed all four of the bolts and three appeared normal except for the long one which had a considerable amount of what appeared to be crankcase oil on it. Can't tell for sure but it appears the tip of this bolt may extend into the flywheel housing. I also found a small puddle of oil next to the rubber cap at the top of the housing.

Does this mean the main crankshaft seal is leaking since I wouldn't expect any oil to be in the flywheel housing? There is no oil underneath the engine which I would expect if the housing had a port at the bottom (it may not). If the main shaft seal was leaking and the housing does not have a port, I would expect oil leaking into the housing would be flung all over the inside of the housing by the flywheel which would explain oil on the bolt and at the port at the top.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Working...
X