Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to replace water tank sensor - any chance I can get a float for existing sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to replace water tank sensor - any chance I can get a float for existing sensor?

I have a feeling there is simply no way out of having to buy a new tank level sensor like this:

https://www.amazon.com/KUS-USA-Water...14940295&psc=1

However, on the odd chance, is there any way I can simply acquire the piece that makes this arm float on the existing sensor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220122_161130.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	638952
    Current Boat: 1990 Bayliner 4387
    Previous Boat: 2017 Ranger 25SC
    Previous Boat: 2005 Bayliner 265
    Previous Boat: 2006 Bayliner 192

Replacement fuel level sender floats are available at various vehicle restoration vendors.

When the float on our 4087 became water logged, my quick fix during a trip was to place a small plastic bottle, (eye drops bottle) on the end of the rod. That quick fix lasted 8 years, we sold the boat.

Comment

That is a Rochester sender, ours became waterlogged and also needed replacement.
      https://rochestergauges.com/product/8700/
      As the original was cork, I used a wine bottle cork with a hole drilled through it. A drop of epoxy holds it in place.

James
      1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
      Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
      Lowrance Electronics!
      Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
      Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
      AGLCA #8340
      MTOA# 7469

Comment

If the sensor used the normal marine 240-30-ohm version, almost any 240-ohm sender will work. My 2452 has sender for fuel. It uses a float ring with a magnet inside. The magnet selects an internal switch which has the appropriate resistance for the liquid height in the tank. Bullet proof as it gets. Mine is 20 yrs old and has had no problems.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Another option that is ridiculously expensive compared to a wine cork or plastic bottle is wema/kus tank level sensor. You can find exact replacements for the one you have. By exact I mean same bolt pattern. Nice thing about the wema is that it is linear measurement. I replaced my freshwater and fuel senders with these. All 3 tanks on my 3788 are rectilinear so 3/4 is 3/4, 1/2 is 1/2, 1/4 is 1/4 tank. Not that we really need a super level of accuracy here though. I did try the wine cork fix but neglected to put the epoxy on and it fell right off. Had I done the epoxy I would probably still have that Rochester sensor.
          Tony Bacon,
          Washougal, WA
          Caspian, MMSI 338355743
          1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

I'm just about to install gobius 4. I really like the idea to avoid any moving parts in the tank. Maybe that's something for you to consider as well?

Comment

Hi Robert
              I bet our last boat still has a "Champagne" cork in the water tank. That being said the proper fix is a KUS/WEMA
              Brad & Sharon
              Lady Jake
              1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
              Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

After careful deliberation (i.e. the wife said so), I decided to buy this and not the cork😄

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Current Boat: 1990 Bayliner 4387
                Previous Boat: 2017 Ranger 25SC
                Previous Boat: 2005 Bayliner 265
                Previous Boat: 2006 Bayliner 192

Comment

Robert, probably a good call, to buy a bottle of wine with a cork in it is almost as much as the sender 🤔

James
                  1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                  Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                  Lowrance Electronics!
                  Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                  Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                  AGLCA #8340
                  MTOA# 7469

Comment

Working...
                  X