Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpx
    replied
    that "slowdown" is load on the generator, - what other said no waterflow in exhaust and temp sensor trips. Would help if you post a vid with the time that it stops though.

Leave a comment:

• Bacon
    replied
    I'm going with fuel starvation issue that goes something like this. As the generator runs it sucks fuel in excess of what can pass through a remote fuel filter. The fuel line gradually gets sucked flat somewhere along the line and it dies. The drop in rpm that occurs reduces fuel draw and the line recovers somewhat and the generator speeds back up. RPM fluctuates while the line gradually finds its best state of collapse and then dead. Just a very wild guess.

Leave a comment:

• NotSure
    commented on 's reply
    Mine did. Was very small and right in front of the fuel pump.

• bruce griffith
    replied
    Once I had a failure of the little "pulse type" fuel pump on my Kohler 5E generator. After finding the carburetor fuel bowl to be empty. Happily, an inexpensive and easy fix.

Leave a comment:

• Sea_Cat_2855
    replied
    Originally posted by percs View Post
    The impellor...maybe.

It sounds like a fuel filter externally or on the gen itself (my onan has both, one is a screen on the fuel pump) may be dirty/blocked.

When at rest enough fuel works it's way in and when the unit is on it uses that up and is starving for fuel.
    Does 5E have a fuel filter? I didn't find the information.

Leave a comment:

• percs
    replied
    The impellor...maybe.

It sounds like a fuel filter externally or on the gen itself (my onan has both, one is a screen on the fuel pump) may be dirty/blocked.

When at rest enough fuel works it's way in and when the unit is on it uses that up and is starving for fuel.

Leave a comment:

• bruce griffith
    replied
    Is the generator pumping seawater through the exhaust? I have had several impeller failures in the past. Just recently I had a spun impeller that had all of its fins but spun on the shaft.

Leave a comment:

• smitty477
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea_Cat_2855 View Post
    Here is video of this generator running. @44 sec you could hear that the speed is lowering for few seconds, the generator is doing that time to time, untill at one moment shuts off. Maybe those unexpected slowdowns tell anything about the sensors, or maybe it is about the auto chocking circuit?

https://youtu.be/kpy-PyGGSnE
    Typically you start gensets start with no load on them - at 44 seconds is that genset seeing a load maybe from a heater or stove or reverse cycle AC unit?
    Or .... is that happening with the genset main breaker(s) set to 'off' so that there can never be any loads on the genset?

Leave a comment:

• Sea_Cat_2855
    replied
    Here is video of this generator running. @44 sec you could hear that the speed is lowering for few seconds, the generator is doing that time to time, untill at one moment shuts off. Maybe those unexpected slowdowns tell anything about the sensors, or maybe it is about the auto chocking circuit?

https://youtu.be/kpy-PyGGSnE

Leave a comment:

• smitty477
    commented on 's reply
    That would be one of the most common reasons.
    Almost as common as not opening the sea valve to the water pump.
    Gensets are typically fixed speeds and have a lot of water coming out under normal running conditions - if you do not have plenty of water at the exhaust outlet then it's a good place to start.

• Sea_Cat_2855
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty477 View Post
    Generator shuts down after 1-2 minutes and will repeat that again after sitting for 20-30 minutes, most likely issues and/or sensors:
    - overheat (temp sensor)
    - water flow at exhaust (temp sensor)
    If it was doing this after 10-15 seconds, then it would more likely be an oil sensor or fuel related.
    None of the older gensets have output related shutdowns (vlts / frequency) that I am aware of.
    Some one told me it can be such simple as the impeller worn off in the cooling pump. It is 1999 generator, 5E.

Leave a comment:

• smitty477
    replied
    Generator shuts down after 1-2 minutes and will repeat that again after sitting for 20-30 minutes, most likely issues and/or sensors:
    - overheat (temp sensor)
    - water flow at exhaust (temp sensor)
    If it was doing this after 10-15 seconds, then it would more likely be an oil sensor or fuel related.
    None of the older gensets have output related shutdowns (vlts / frequency) that I am aware of.

Leave a comment:

• Sea_Cat_2855
    commented on 's reply
    MonteVista, but the voltage/frequency issue would be not hard to identify if I measure the output in AC circuit. Will do.

• MonteVista
    replied
    I think that may be because the Generator senses its output voltage is too low or too high. Too low output may occur if there is a short in the coils and may be costly to repair. I hope that isn't the case for you. Frequency is also a reason for shutdown if output frequency is too low/high, again may be indicative of coil issues. I am not certain but would think that engine related issues (oil pressure, etc) would shut down the generator sooner. So, your problem is more likely to be electrical and/or controller related.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• NotSure
    replied
    Depends on which Koler. My old 5E got pissy if there was an air bubble in the coolant tank. If that is your issue there is a bleed screw on the opposite top side from the fill cap. Remove the fill cap, remove the bleed screw, fill the coolant till it comes out of the bleed screw, and then reassemble. If not that easy fix then the Kohler manual usually has a troubleshooting guide in it that can help with many issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X