No announcement yet.

Looking For Replacement Starter For Ford 351W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my Sierra 18-5920 today and it does fit on pre-92 OMC 5.8 /351 Ford bell housing, aka flywheel cover. It came with a schematic as to how to wire it.
    What a difference it made! Instead of turning a 1/4 of a turn before giving up with 8V, I was able make multiple start attempts with voltage dropping to just under 12V.

Thanks guys for trying to convince me to get a new model starter. I now have an unused old model starter laying around, and another one that was mounted on the engine before it came out for rebuild.

Now I need to figure out why there is no fuel reaching the carb, and a suspect is the fuel/ water sepatator. I had nasty fuel come out of the tank, that has been replaced by clean fuel. Carb has been rebuilt. Engine tries to run on starter fluid, but no fuel seems to get to the carb.
    1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
    5.8L OMC Cobra
    2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Let's see...... who was it who kept telling everyone that the HTGR/PMGR starter motors were the way the go? πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰

Good for you..... I'm sure that you will continue to like it.
      Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

Take it to an automotive electrical shop. They can test and rebuild it cheaper than a new one.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Originally posted by captharv View Post
          Take it to an automotive electrical shop. They can test and rebuild it cheaper than a new one.
          Harv, if the old starter motor was a non-gear reduction type, he’d be throwing good money after bad.
          Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

The old starter was brand new too, a non-gear reduction model, came in the box with the rest of the boat. The difference is night and day.
            When I first installed the original starter I did not know about the PMGR starters. Then when I did hear and searched everything was for '92 and newer. From what I can see is that in 92 with the switch to Mercruiser or Volvo Penta the external solenoid disappeared. For anything before 92 you need to modify the cabling as there will be 2 solenoids: the original 4-pole one, and the new one on the starter.

It is now also clear why many of Rick's schematics have a battery cable straight on the starter, and not via a separate solenoid. It depends on style of starter.... and age / manufacturer of the engine/drive system.
            1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
            5.8L OMC Cobra
            2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
            Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Working...
            X