Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bravo 3 Stainless Steel Swivel Steering Pin Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bravo 3 Stainless Steel Swivel Steering Pin Life?

So 4 years ago we pulled the engine in our new-to-us 2855 Ciera and had the OEM steering pin replaced. Big job. We had other items preemptively replaced: Water pump, engine coupler, manifold flapper valves, gimbal housing, shift cable, and more. At the time I discussed with the tech that I wanted the STAINLESS steel steering swivel pin, so the leaking issue would be solved, and not recur for many years (or at least run hours).

The problem is back, after approximately 270 hours of run time.

The attached picture shows the pin I imagined they would install- a $250 part made with the corrosion resistance of 304 Stainless Steel.

But it seems they installed another OEM pin- in the parts paperwork there is a "Swivel Pin, Mercury" at a cost of $50.99. I didn't of course catch this in the paperwork after the job was completed- it was buried in the dozens of other parts used in the job. Now it seems to be biting us.

For other reasons, I haven't given this outfit any more of my business. But I wonder:

1) How many hours, average, does the OEM part go?
    2) How many should the $250 Stainless Pin last?
    3) Should I take this issue back to this Marine Repair shop? Of course, I will wait until I have the part in hand (we'll do the JR kit this time and not pull the engine) to insure it's the OEM pin.

Advice or ideas are sought.

Jeff Prime
    "Optimystic Prime"
    2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
    Anacortes, WA

My 1997 has the original swivel shaft at ~600 hours. She spent half her life in the water and the rest in a boatel/lift. For yours to be bad in 4 years the seal must have been leaking since the repair.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I changed mine in the Avanti not long after I got it. The boat now has an additional 1500hrs on it not to mention around 15 years later, no issues.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Some years ago Mike (SomeSailor) described how to drill the pin and install zerk to allow grease pumping to the seal area. With stainless shaft, that might make the seal go forever with regular greasing, but probably the manufacturer has the reason to not add it to standard assembly, YMMV.
        Alex
        1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
        1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

I had replaced mine 2 years ago using Amazon to fulfill the order and ship the part directly to Turkey where my boat is. At the time the price on Amazon was $65. It says part is no longer available now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 13.35.16.png
Views:	167
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	633760

I am sure it can be found in other places. My mechanic said this one is much better than the original that was supplied with the boat.

Good luck
          Retired, computer expert / executive
          Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
          Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
          D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
          [email protected]
          [email protected]

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            I also acquired my stainless square shaft via Amazon or e-bay for that same price👍🏼

If you had them install the missing grease fitting it would have never happened for a longer time

Comment

right click, open in new tab

Comment

The zerk fitting mod has been discussed many times here on BOC as well as drilling the square shaft and installing a zerk at the OEM location (dimpled area). Both of those options may be a bit more difficult if there’s a cover plate installed. I agree that a cushion of grease is a great idea for longevity but even without the ability to add grease to the upper seal area OP’s seal seems to have failed way to soon.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556
              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

My port outdrive started leaking seawater last year. The shop said that they don't do the job where the cover plate is drilled out anymore. A Mercury outdrive kit was installed and it cost about 5K. WE were not thrilled, but new outdrive pistons were included along with a shift cable and a number of new parts. Its a big job. I sure hope my starboard outdrive behaves itself, Griff

Comment

Update. Been off-grid for awhile. Started to set the JR Mod in motion, but Cap Sante Marine advised the labor for the job will run 24 - 30 hours at $120/hr ($2880 - $3600). Plus the pin. Ouch. Got a good recommendation on another Marine Tech, and had him look at it. His take on it is this: it's 4 hours labor for him to pull the engine (at $150/hr so $1200 for both ways) and he says the transom assembly should be replaced, based on its age (22 years). $3500 for the assembly. It includes a new gimbal assembly, helmet, both pins (I need to find out if the upper is stainless), trim senders, bellows, hydraulic hoses and cylinders, and more. But quote for the job: $7000.
                  Jeff Prime
                  "Optimystic Prime"
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

If your boat is equipped with a Mercathode be prepared for that also to be replaced depending upon how much/long water intrusion may have happened.

I feel you!
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by MonteVista View Post
                      If your boat is equipped with a Mercathode be prepared for that also to be replaced depending upon how much/long water intrusion may have happened.

I feel you!
                      I believe the Mercathode outer unit is included with the transom assy.
                      Jeff Prime
                      "Optimystic Prime"
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

I am not certain if the Mercathode outer piece is included with the transom assy. I had water intrusion problem myself and the transom assy was not replaced though parts of it, such as Merchathode and the steering pin were replaced. In any event, all I wanted to do was to say "check so you won't be surprised".
                        [email protected]
                        [email protected]

Comment

• optimist_prime
                          optimist_prime commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Roger that. I'm also finding out if the three year corrosion warranty includes leakage caused by the swivel pin. IMHO Mercury should have addressed this problem LONG ago by using a high quality stainless pin. Maybe they did. But I notice that MANY "durable goods" manufactured these days (like fridges and dishwashers) seem to be "engineered" for a shorter life. Our dishwasher two dishwashers ago lasted 20 years. The next two lasted 4 and six years before breaking.

In the computer world, something that used to work that suddenly stops working after a period of unuse is referred to as "bit rot"!!!
                        [email protected]
                        [email protected]

Comment

The upper shaft was greasable at one point. Mercruiser needed to sell more parts so away with the grease fitting they went. Don’t think they offer a stainless shaft OEM.
                          🤪
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556
                          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                          X