Lewmar Ocean Windlass Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lewmar Ocean Windlass Base

Checking to see if anyone knows where I might be able to get the gray base for an old Lewmar Ocean Windlass. The part number was 65000530. But when I called a few places they said "Good luck". The Stripper broke and I can't extract the bolt that sheared off. The Windlass works fine so I didn't want to buy a new windlass and have to make new holes in the boat. I was told the newer ones have a different bolt pattern to secure it to the boat.

I can't seem to find it by p/n 65000530!
    Is this a Horizontal or Vertical Windlass?
    Have you been able to contact Lewmar directly?

Another option would be to disassemble the unit, and take the part into a machine shop who owns and operates a EDM.
    EDM = electric discharge machining.
    electric discharge machining - Google Search

A good technician will be able to extract the broken bolt fragment!
    If they can't save the female threads, they can always machine it, and fit it with a thread insert.

Upon re-assembly, use a thread sealant to prevent future corrosion.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It's a Lewmar Concept one vertical windlass. I went out tonight to disassemble the unit. I got the motor separated from the base. I had to quit because of darkness. I live about an hour away from the marina
      and have to work in the morning. I will have to figure out how to get the base off the boat. It has been glued to the deck for 15 years. Not a lot of room to try and cut around the base to free it up. Any suggestions? I don't want to take a chisel to it and damage the boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	631887 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395 (1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	631888

Comment

Originally posted by djh1363 View Post
        It's a Lewmar Concept one vertical windlass. I went out tonight to disassemble the unit. I got the motor separated from the base. I had to quit because of darkness. I live about an hour away from the marina
        and have to work in the morning. I will have to figure out how to get the base off the boat. It has been glued to the deck for 15 years. Not a lot of room to try and cut around the base to free it up. Any suggestions? I don't want to take a chisel to it and damage the boat.
        The PO may have used something like 3M 5200 when he set the unit.
        If so, that product is very difficult to release.

Perhaps try pulling the unit from the bow deck while trying to slip a 1" wide putty knife in/under the perimeter of the unit.
        Maybe carefully apply heat-gun heat to the aluminum portion as you pull on it.
        Slow and steady may do the trick.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post

The PO may have used something like 3M 5200 when he set the unit.
          If so, that product is very difficult to release.
          There was a guy on here a few years back that used 5200 to seal his AQ280 transom shield to his boat.
          " WET EVER "
          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
          mmsi 338108404
          mmsi 338124956
          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Try contacting Lewmar directly, even though a search says a certain number is unavailable Lewmar often has a new superseded part number that will work. They helped me when the chain stripper broke on my windlass. The original one was plastic and showed no longer available, but a new number was available and was made of metal.
            2003 245 5.0L Alph 1 Gen II
            Libertyville IL.

Comment

As far as removing the base you might make up a wire saw. A piece of piano like wire with two wood handles. It will saw through stuff like 5200. Just take it slow. Jim
              Jim
              1975 2865 Carver Santa Cruz
              Twin 215hp 302 Ford Waukesha
              Twin Straight Shaft Drive
              Tow Vehicle 2002 Ford F250 Superduty
              7.3L Powerstroke
              Boise, Id

Comment

Originally posted by djh1363 View Post
                and have to work in the morning. I will have to figure out how to get the base off the boat. It has been glued to the deck for 15 years. Not a lot of room to try and cut around the base to free it up. Any suggestions? I don't want to take a chisel to it and damage the boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	631887 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395 (1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	631888
                I’ve had luck using a heat gun to soften 5200. It takes a little time but it works.

Comment

Thanks 2850Bounty took your advice got it removed with heat gun, putty knife, and small chisel to lift the base up and get the heat to the 3M 5200. I have a friend who knew a machinist to remove the bolt using EDM and an extractor. He said it took them 10 minutes and they didn't charge me! I already have the new metal stripper and plan on re-installing this weekend. Really appreciate your advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X