Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in reverse

Hello all
    I have been trying to keep my 87 Capri going, I have owned it for almost 24 years. I have a newer outdrive but I do not think it is the problem. I got stuck in reverse the other day. I removed the outdrive when I got home. I wish I knew the correct names for the parts I am about to describe, but here we go. The black plastic piece that is attached to the shift cable, somehow allowed the internal shift lever that engages it ,to pass by it, thus trapping the lever behind it. This is what I saw upon removing the outdrive unit. Has anyone else ever had this issuue? This is the 3.0 OMC setup. My cable is new, from the outdrive to the engine, and my control box is in good shape also. Any help, (including the correct names of the parts described, would be helpful. Thanks,Tim

Can you post some pictures of the shift mechanism?
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

That would be the shift cable guide and the lever arm, #42 & #98

The guide must be broken, otherwise the roller on the lever arm would still be captured in the slot.

Did if fail while in use in the water ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	MTk4MDE-8ba6cdac.png Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	619514
      " WET EVER "
      1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
      mmsi 338108404
      mmsi 338124956
      "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

The one I worked on had # 98 flopping around because #4 was broken.
        #4 is part of the shift cable and does not move. It rigid and acts as a guide

Comment

The guide is free to float within the confines of the housing and also on the threads of the cable, there is no locking effect between it and cable.
          " WET EVER "
          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
          mmsi 338108404
          mmsi 338124956
          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

The shift lever jumped over the guide. It got stuck between it and the back of the housing.

Comment

• Centerline2
              Centerline2 commented
              Editing a comment
              the lever shaft can get bent, which can allow that to happen... other than the plastic piece being broken or worn off, there is little chance of it happening otherwise... maybe if the cable slipped its clamp screw it could happen, but if its in proper alignment and tight, something else had to have failed...

I’m thinking for the lever to get bent maybe the shift cable was getting stiff; or the shift mechanism in the lower unit was getting stiff.
            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
            X