Volvo MS4A gear box replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo MS4A gear box replacement

Hello everyone, I am currently repowering a friends 24' boat. it has a Volvo MS4A gear box. Could anyone recommend a dimension compatible gear box with an 8 degree down angle that will handle the increased torque & H.P. (300 plus)?

John, I realize that you are asking about a viable replacement for the MS4 I/B transmission.
    However, the MS4 will handle the horse power, especially in a small 24' boat.

My suggestion would be to explain to the boat owner that this is a great transmission.
    Perhaps convince him to have it gone through if he has any concerns.

The most likely bearings to replace will be the main drive gear bearings..... 31307 and the 30207. The procedure will be the same as with the V/P I/Os.

These use the very same tried and proven Volvo Penta cone clutch gear engagement system as with the 270/280/290/SP/C/C-1 etc.
    No clutch pack nor oil pump to deal with.

When finished, you won't need to modify anything as you may with another brand I/B transmission.
    The owner will not be disappointed in it's performance...... especially with the V/P smooth cone-clutch gear engagement.

By the way, John found me on another boating forum via a different topic.
    I convinced John to join the BOC where people are much more friendly and are much more helpful.

For those of us who may not be familiar with the MS4, here are a few images.
    They are set up to use the Borg Warner bolt pattern mounting and all steel Borg Warner drive coupler.

Do not foo foo it's appearance...... these are extremely well designed and are very strong.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
    X