2003 Trophy 2352 lower unit removal/repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Trophy 2352 lower unit removal/repair

I'm really new to this forum, so if I'm not in the right area or have committed a gross error, I apologize and someone set me straight. I have owned this Trophy for the past 7 years and have had the lower unit removed once (I helped but didn't focus on what we were doing). My friend who as since passed on, replaced the gimbal bearing. He pretty much knew what he was doing, having been a boat mechanic for ump-teen years so I really didn't have to pay much attention. I was the grunt. Now I'm in the spot where the flexible line on the external lower unit reservoir is leaking. This is the line outside, not inside. I need to replace this line and I'm told the lower unit has to come off. (set me straight if this is not true). I thought since I had it off I would replace the impeller. To my knowledge it has not been replaced and I'm a bit nervous about that. Hence my wanting to pull this off and make all the needed repairs at one time.
    I would appreciate one (or more) knowledgeable souls to give me some pointers on where to look for reliable information in the form of YouTube videos, online resources, manuals, etc.. There is a lot of info out there but I'm just not sure what is reliable. I'm very mechanically inclined, having worked in the HVAC industry for over 35 years. I'm good to go working on about anything I research but with something like this, I would rather start off in the right direction right from the git go. So any help I can get, I would be very appreciative.
    My Trophy is a 2003, model 2352. Mercruiser Gen 2 Alpha 1 lower unit. Engine size is a 350 if that matters. If this is not enough info, please advise and I will provide more.
    Thank you in advance.

Jerry, I moved this to the tech section. On the external oil reservoir hose leaking: There is a plastic fitting that runs through the housing that may be the culprit, it’s a fairly common failure and the drive will need to be removed to gain access to that part. I’m not completely dialed in on the A drive but others here are and can give you better input on impeller replacement. There are full kits available, if it’s been a few years you may need to do bellows and bearing as well.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

builder dude, thanks for the move. I appreciate the post. I do know it is the hose leaking because I did isolate it and can see the split. We replaced the gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. last time. I watched a crazy number of YouTube vids and accumulated enough credible info to get the lower unit pulled and into the shop. Drained the fluid and now I just need a little better weather and info to move forward. Thanks for the help. Will appreciate anyone of those others that are more familiar with A drive to send me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
      X