Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure

5.0 Mercruiser on 2006 Bayliner. Just bought it and I am noticing oil pressure running at about 75 psi @ 3600 rpm which seems high to me. Has anyone had experience with this motor that can tell me if this is normal? Sailed it for 5 hours to move it to its new home, and it did not change much during the journey. Thanks

That does seem high. Could be a sending unit or gauge issue. I’d confirm the accuracy of the helm gauge using a mechanical test gauge.
    what do you see at idle rpm?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

As Dave said you can install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to compare but you can also disconnect the wire from it and connect an ohmmeter and compare reading to those in the Mercruiser manual.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I recently had the gauge go bad. Turn on the power, and 80 psi on an engine that hadn't ran yet. New pressure sender, no change. Did the testing according to Faria, yes, it indicated (guess their test is to prove the gauge is working). Took the gauge out of the boat, hooked it up on the sender on the kitchen table and still 80 psi. Ordered new gauge, and then it worked as it should.

Comment

My boat was showing pretty high on one engine, too. I put a new sender on both engines and the indication dropped to a more reasonable number, and they both match now. The senders (and the gauges, for that matter) don't last forever...
          Brad
          Lake Union, Seattle
          1987 Bayliner 4550 "Ark Angel"
          Hino EH700T / MG-502 / Cummins Onan 7kw

Comment

Working...
          X