EH700 Air Cleaner / Air Filter replacement and oil catch can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EH700 Air Cleaner / Air Filter replacement and oil catch can

does anyone have a part number for a KnN or equivalent conical filter replacement for EH700, I'd like to replace the stock ones as they are disgusting and probably never been serviced.
    Also, has anyone done a good oil catch can install possibly with direct routing into the intake instead of just spewing on the side of the air cleaner?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Disregard the question about which filter, I found it listed in the HINO Database as RU-0960 ($55 USD list price), but looking at the specs (flange diameter 2.75'', length 5'', diameter 5.5'' and offset about 1/2 inch) I'm wondering if anyone considered using the RC-4500 ( $65, conical, flange diameter 2.75'', length 5.125'', large diam 5.2'', small diam 3.5'' and offset about 5/8'') and using the built in 7/8'' port (has 2) for the crank recirculation through an oil catch can (this is one close to the dimensions of the RU-0960 but having a port in the base, could not find a straight one that had that feature although I would think you can drill it but probably not as elegant or clean looking)

EDIT: went on the K&N website and here are some filters that could work in order of pricing (all conical/tapered filters, almost if not all with a 3.5'' top/small diameter, 2.75'' flange diameter unless specified below) - I have no idea if these are suitable, I might give the cheapest one a go
    1. RC-8070 - $18 / length 4.3'', diam 5.2'', flange diameter is 2.690'' smaller than RC-0960 at 2.750'' (might work?), 5/16 port
    2. RC-9980 - $40 / length 4.4'', diam 5.2'', 2 ports 1/2'' and 5/8''
    3. RC-5134 - $60 / length 4.7'', diam 5.2'', has a 1/2 inch port
    4. RC-8280 - $60 / length 5.125'', diam 5.2'', 1/2'' port (says top has 1/2'' vent but not shown in the picture)
    5. RC-4500 - $65 / length 5.125'', diam 5.2'', 2 ports 7/8''

Comment

RC-8070 is no longer available so that's a no-go (price was right for experimenting).

Comment

• Sunbird
        Sunbird commented
        Editing a comment
        The RU-1000 has an offset flange connection and allows you to rotate the filter so it’s closer to the PCV pickup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_29616.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	971.7 KB
ID:	612414 Hino CC puke cans can be made from various items , we have always made them from simple PVC pipes and filled with SS 'scrubbies' to collect any residue. These puke cans are placed in the CC hose by cutting the hose and interupting the route from the CC breather to the air filter media. A couple of pics should help....

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	612415
      Northport NY

Comment

I made a pair of catch cans that significantly reduced the oil mist in the engine room. They are probably larger than needed and the sight glass is overlkill.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

When my dry turbos bit the dust Earl Summerville replaced them with 310 Hino turbos and had him get K&N filters,sorry cannot remember size,also had him install a Racor CCV unit the filter captures the oil mist the returns filtered oil back into crank case. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	612424
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

thanks for the info guys.

Brad, Racor ccv? links, p/n, writeup?

Smitty & PCPete: did you guys plugged into a fitting in the airfilter or just vented on top of it like in the stock config. Any info on the stainless scrubby (I wonder if there's a specific one to use that does not have sos or some weird causting stuff on it).

The other thing I wonder is if anyone got a venturi type setup going into the exhaust for the crank vent

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

• Pcpete
              Pcpete commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine is vented along the side of the K&N air filters

• brad4550
              brad4550 commented
              Editing a comment
              Just Google Racor CCV 4500

• smitty477
              smitty477 commented
              Editing a comment
              Just regular non coated SS scrubbies you find anywhere to help the oil mist collect and drip down.
              Vented back to the airfilter as a suction location, very little mist will be drawn back.
              The Hino's will noy generate much oil blowby at all so you are not collecting much oil.
              I am not a fan of routng the CC collection mess back into the lube oil - collect and remove once a year or every other year in our case.
              Never vent back to the exhaust for a number of reasons.

While I've considered replacing the air filters with K&N's, on the naturally aspirated EH700 engine I just don't see the benefit. There's not much to service on the original filter assembly, if you want you can use a standard foam shop vac filter cut to size. I doubt the K&N allows more air flow than the standard filter. The K&N does look cool though
            On the turbo engines I could see the potential benefit at higher rpm's though.

James
            1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
            Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
            Lowrance Electronics!
            Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
            Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
            AGLCA #8340
            MTOA# 7469

Comment

I used the KN RU-0960 on my EH700.

https://www.knfilters.com/ru-0960-un...-on-air-filter
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
                While I've considered replacing the air filters with K&N's, on the naturally aspirated EH700 engine I just don't see the benefit. There's not much to service on the original filter assembly, if you want you can use a standard foam shop vac filter cut to size. I doubt the K&N allows more air flow than the standard filter. The K&N does look cool though
                On the turbo engines I could see the potential benefit at higher rpm's though.

James
                If the orginal cage filter is in good condition there is no reason to replace the frame just the wrap.
                On many original filters that cage becomes corroded and pieces can break off and then travel to the engine - they are on the inside of the warp of course.
                In that case its best to change out to one of the other options unless its worth the time to media blast / prime / then paint the cage with high temp permanent coatings.
                Northport NY

Comment

• MacPhid
                  MacPhid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smitty, that's a good point, salt water environment takes it's toll. Found that out when we did the loop. Back in fresh water now and up on blocks for the winter helps keep these items in good condition.

James
              Working...
              X