Hino 135 HP Coolant Circulation Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hino 135 HP Coolant Circulation Pump

My port engine coolant pump was leaking a small amount of antifreeze through the weeping holes behind the pulley so I replaced it with a new pump which was about $200. My main concern was that someone mention to me that when this happens (leaking through the weeping holes) it's to prevent antifreeze from leaking into the motor. But after this exercise I see that's clearly not possible, unlike the raw water pump setup. After disassembling the pump I found the seal almost totally disintegrated even though it was only leaking intermittently. After that, I decided to replace the seal which cost $20 and a new impeller which I already had from the PO. My new pump had a cast impeller whereas the spare I had was hard rubber or poly or something. The new mechanical seal was very similar to the one I recently replaced in my Johnson raw water pump, but in this case it was much easier to replace. You might notice that I used a bit of RTV on the seal base. The shop manual called for a little liquid sealer.

All in all I think I have a good spare.

Attached are a few pic for anyone interested. I'm sure this stuff is trivial to seasoned boaters unlike me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	609252 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	609253 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	609254 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1588.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	609255 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1590.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	609256
    1987 3270 135-Hino
    Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Great job! It’s not trivial at all! Just grabbing some wrenches and going for it is more than many owners would do.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
    X