2 Questions...Should be Easy-gctid352056

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Questions...Should be Easy-gctid352056

1. My trim tabs dont work. Havent since I owned the boat (9 months). Dug into it today. Fixed a wiring issue, now thats all good. Got power to the switch. The switch is sending power back to the actuator. All power seems to be working like it should. The fluid was low, so I added to the full mark. Neither tab will move. At all. Suggestions? At least she rides fairly level and I don't need tabs to get up on plane. I hate stuff not working though.

2. Alternator Belts won't stay tight. I changed them, got them good and tight, but they are now loose again, after about only about 6 hours of running. Again, suggestions on keeping them tight? I looses all bolts to tighten, and then tighten all bolts to keep them there. When they get loose, they squeel when the alternator is under load.

These are not major ordeals, but have me a little baffled, and I know you guys have experienced everything known to boating.

Thanks!

More info is needed!

But,

2 thoughts on the belt tension:

First is that my belts always do that just before they break. Are these new belts? There is a deflection measurement you can do for 'optimal tightness'. The second thought is do you have rough pulleys (are you gerinding off belt material)? I did, and once replaced, they belts lasted again.

On the tabs, there are generally 2 elec. parts:

1) Motor

2) Directional solenoid(s) or (actuator)

The motor should run if either direction is pushed on either tab (Most are 'reversible' to push and pull fluid from a given side). The actuator(s) connect the motor/pump to either side. Keep in mind you need a good gound at these devices as well as the hot. Measure across the motor, AT the motor to see if you get 12V there; likewise with the actuator(s), then report back.

Chay

Comment

belts are all new. Nothing unusual with the pullies.

There is power to the motor, but the motor did not engage when the switches are pushed.

I am thinking ground. I will check that next.

Comment

I only have input on the belts at this time..

+1

-on brand new belts sometimes require a re-adjust shortly after first installed

-and rough pulleys rust/pitting grinding belt material away, you can usually see this as black rubber powder deposits close to pullies/brackets or in the bidge

Comment

In regard to your tabs - there probably is air in the lines. I've found in the past when I've had to work on my tabs - hose and reservoir replacement - I've had to work them up and down manually while someone activates the switch to get them moving. Once the air starts to bubble out, the pump can provide the required pressure.

They may also just be locked up from non-use. Same technique should get them moving.

Comment

OK, I readjusted the belts, so we will see how it goes. If they keep loosening, I may replace the pullies. I would not have thought of that.

I found the ground had been cut by the PO to power another lame device that I had since thrown away. The motor works fine, all switches work. BUT...Only one tab moves. The port tab does not move, even though the motor sounds like it does on the starboard tab. Would this be air in the line for the port tab? Can you bleed them? Could it be a bad cylinder?

At least there is progress, and that makes me happy.

Man! I love my boat!!!

Comment

Get you alternators checked. Any auto zone will do it for free. They might be freezing up for a split second at a time then turning freezing up again.
              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Hi

There are some very good videos on youtube on how to fault find on the bennett trim tabs.

If only one actuator is working an easy fault find is to swap the port and stardboard hydraulic lines from the unit. If the other then works then it is probably one of the solenoid valves which are replacable, they show how to test on Youtube.

Regards

Comment

Dan, I'd have to agree that the pulley condition will influence the belt life.

Maybe take another good close look at the V groves.

If belts are being chewed up or living a short life, something is damaging them such as a rusty V grove or they are out of alignment, or there is an excessive load on them, etc.

No need to replace them.

See if you can find a way to spin them and file/sand any roughness from the V groves.

Repaint and reinstall.

Use good quality v-belts.

As for the Trim Tab issue, here's a serach result for Bennett's trouble shooting guides.

Whether Bennett or Insta-Tab, the testing procedure is very similar and may help you trouble-shoot and learn why the actuators (hydraulic cylinders) are not moving.

There may be a trim tab switch harness connection that is corroded. Find this harness, follow it forward, and inspect this harness connection.

Also, the helm switch simultaneously operates the fluid pump motor in either direction (pressure out/pulling fluid in) while operating one or both of the two "actuator" solenoid valves.

If the fluid pump motor is working in either direction, yet not either of the "actuators", then it's likely that a solenoid valve is the problem.

These valves must open when the pump operates.

Do some testing at the helm switch and pump to see where/if you have (or do not have) power when the helm switch is activated.

Perhaps also power your test device independantly and check for a good Negative connection at the pump.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

You do not say whether you have Insta-Tabs or Bennetts, but it makes little difference.

dpoelstra wrote:
                    I found the ground had been cut by the PO to power another lame device that I had since thrown away. The motor works fine, all switches work. BUT... Only one tab moves.

1..... The port tab does not move, even though the motor sounds like it does on the starboard tab.

2.... Would this be air in the line for the port tab?

3.... Can you bleed them?

4.... Could it be a bad cylinder?

5.... At least there is progress, and that makes me happy.

Man! I love my boat!!!
                    1..... If I'm following you, when you operate the Port tab switch, you are hearing the motor operate, but no actuator function.

This would clearly suggest a solenoid valve issue.

Keep in mind that the solenoid valves don't know if their opening for pressure (tab planes DOWN) or for suction (tab planes UP).

All they know is that one of them must open each time the pump operates in either direction.

2 & 3 .... Not likely. These systems will purge any air simply by cycling them several times.

4.... Again, not likely unless the actuator was stuck.

With a 12 volt power source, see if you can get this solenoid to function. Test both so you can hear what a good solenoid sounds like.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Can I just swap the selenoid valves to see if the problem switches to the other side?

Comment

One of the biggest culprits for belt destruction is bad alternator bearings. Sometimes you can't hear it with the naked ear, but a stethescope will give you better info. Bad bearings sometimes begin to seize for a fraction of a second; and that's all it takes to damage the belt. Remove the alternator and see if you can find black dust in the pulley grooves. A new set of bearings might solve the problem.

Comment

dpoelstra wrote:
                          Can I just swap the selenoid valves to see if the problem switches to the other side?
                          Which TT system do you have?

Your pump obviously works..... so it's more likely that a solenoid valve is gone.

If you will excite the good solenoid, see if you can hear the vavle operating and listen to what it sounds like.

Now excite the suspect solenoid, and see if you can hear a similar sound.

If not...... replace it.

You could swap them, but I think this will save you that step.

If Bennett, shoot an email to Tom [email protected].

http://"http://www.bennetttrimtabs.c...39;s web site.

You'll know Bennett by their distinct actuator design and plane hinge arrangement.

If Insta-Tab (formerly Boat Leveler) you'd need to contact them or a dealer.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Bennett is/was a sponder on tht and helped me out a few times and only rave reviews from others on the site i would follow bounty's advice and contact them.

Comment

Yes, they are Bennett. The problem I have is with the twin engines, everything is tough for a big guy like me to get to.

I will investigate the selenoids.

Also, when I had the belts off of the I checked out the alternator bearings, and they seem good. I think it is just the new belt settling in, but I will see after the next few runs.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                              X