Autopilot ❓

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autopilot ❓

Hello All First off I hope all had a Merry Christmas.

Has anybody had or still has a Wheel pilot auto pilot.
    I have a chance to pick one up for my 3058 cable steered cruiser.

Thoughts , opinions, comment s

Thanks in advance!!

Don&Terri
    Bayliner
    3058 Command bridge
    Huntington Harbor Ca

Wheel auto pilots are for sailboats.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian, MMSI 338355743
    1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Yeah... no buddy... sorry. Good luck on the autopilot front but you got yourself the wrong unit!
      Ships n Giggles
      1993 Bayliner 4388
      MMSI# 367412710
      Day Island Yacht Club
      Commodore

Comment

Do you mean the kind that install behind the dash and you replace your helm? I installed auto pilot on my boat with mechanical steering, but I used an Octopus remote drive that is mounted in my engine compartment, It's the same concept as the behind the dash units except it does better with heavy boats. It connects directly to the power steering components.
        I have been extremely happy with this set up, and I use it all the time.
        Dave
        2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
        2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
        2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
        http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

I believe that the more accurate type of Auto-Pilot system is Hydraulic, which of course must be used with Hydraulic steering.

And of course, it would be rather expensive to change out the cable steering (w/ or w/o Power Assist) to Hydraulic.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Terry -Ann,
            I had a 22’ center console Outboard with that type of autopilot. It worked fairly well but is nothing like the newer units that work on hydraulic systems. As long as your steering is not too resistive it should work. It’s just a small motor going thru a gear reduction to actually turn the wheel. If your steering is tight and has too much resistance it will fault out on over torque. It’s actually only good to hold a set course, it can’t be integrated into a GPS unit. ( at least the unit I had could not)
            In view of the cost to change over to hydraulic steering, if you can pick this unit up at a good price I would give it a try.
            Gibraltar, Mi.
            1986- 3870- Hino 175's
            1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
            14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Originally posted by moultdkdj View Post
              Do you mean the kind that install behind the dash and you replace your helm? I installed auto pilot on my boat with mechanical steering, but I used an Octopus remote drive that is mounted in my engine compartment, It's the same concept as the behind the dash units except it does better with heavy boats. It connects directly to the power steering components.
              I have been extremely happy with this set up, and I use it all the time.
              I'm in the same boat (excuse the pun😉). My 1989 2556 has a mechanical rack&pinion steering system and I was told to forget about autopilots unless I spend quite a few $$$. Your post gives me hope it may be possible with my setup after all.

EDIT: I suppose you mean this one
              https://www.marinedeal.com/product_p/44365.htm
              "ΑΛΕΞ"
              1989 Bayliner 2556 Mercruiser 454/Bravo II
              Chalkidiki, Greece

Toyota Land Cruiser 100 V8 470
              Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Comment

A R&P system is considered to be a Feed-Back friendly system, of which should work with an Auto-Pilot system.

And a friendly FYI.... today's cars/trucks may have power steering.
                Our stern drive boats will have Power Assist steering.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Originally posted by Kolyo View Post

I'm in the same boat (excuse the pun😉). My 1989 2556 has a mechanical rack&pinion steering system and I was told to forget about autopilots unless I spend quite a few $$$. Your post gives me hope it may be possible with my setup after all.

EDIT: I suppose you mean this one
                  https://www.marinedeal.com/product_p/44365.htm
                  Yes, except mine was for newer and twins. I paired it with Garmin Reactor 40 Mechanical/Retrofit/Solenoid Core pack. I also upgraded my electronics with a Garmin echo map 94sv, so my autopilot works with my chart plotter. Install was very easy since I also installed a NMEA 2000 backbone, which makes everything basically plug and play, even my Garmin gfs 10 fuel flow sensors.
                  I bought everything from Kevin at Marine Electrical for Less – BOAT PARTS 4 LESS
                  He beat everyone's prices and saved my a lot of money, shipped everything free and super fast.
                  Dave
                  2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
                  2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
                  2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                  http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

• Kolyo
                    Kolyo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great info. Thanks a lot!

Thanks to all. Our boat does have power steering that works very good. Very little resistance. This unit is a new old stock a raymarine sportpilot that mounts behind the helm wheel . Not a tiller steer or a big round deal that connects to the spokes of a destroyer helm wheel. And it has a remote display .
                  Yes I agree with the other post regarding a hydraulic conversion ..not worth it.. I'm going to try it and see how it does ..If not I'll have one for sale...lol
                  Thanks for the replys
                  Don&Terri
                  Bayliner
                  3058 Command bridge
                  Huntington Harbor Ca

Comment

Working...
                  X