Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Electronics and I need opinions please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I had pricing in the ball park. I hadn't looked at Lowrance yet but now I will.
    Wayne,

Washington State, Salish Sea, Everett

1993 2859, 5.7L, Bravo 2, Seahawk II MMSI 338384974
    1988 Trophy 2160, 4.3L, VP Duoprop MMSI 338120888
    1988 1750 Bass & Ski, Force 125

Comment

So it would seem my $4K all in price was very unrealistic. If I just look at Doppler Radar and at least Chirp sonar with transducer, and a 12" MFD, Lowrance is around $5200., Garmin $5700.00, Furuno $6000.00.

This is really a steep learning curve right now. I'm still trying to sort it all out. Thanks for the input and more is welcome!
      Wayne,

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
        Shipsngiggles commented
        Editing a comment
        I know man, I am in the same exact boat as you are. You sit down and you start looking at what is available out there, and you're quickly realizing that it comes down to usability, scalability, and quality.

Couple of things to think about...

Lowrance is a good brand, although they have some QC issues at times. With Lowrance you get access to Simrad and B&G family of products which expands your usability and allows you to pick and choose different brands. I had a Lowrance fishfinder/Chartplotter for 9 years, it was temperamental but effective. Used it quite often for fishing, crabbing and general navigation.

Garmin is a decent brand, they have some cool options but they are not modifiable... meaning, the features are what the features are, and they don't really play good with other manufacturers. Meaning, if you start with Garmin, you keep going with Garmin. The only benefit of Garmin is that they recently purchased Navionics, so you can hope for map integration in the near future, but if that is what you want then you might as well go with Raymarine who has a much greater product library and an established foothold in the marine electronics world. If I had a choice between Garmin and Furuno, for the extra $300 I'd go with Furuno.

Furuno, I think that I have said plenty about Furuno. I like the brand and I think it's worth the money. If you look around you might be able to find really good deals on electronics. Like I said, I saw their 12.1" MFD for just under $2K. Search the Furuno Refurb and Outlet store as well, you might find really good deals there. Currently the 12" display and the radar are being sold as a package for $4,390 on several sites. I'd also look for possibly a used radar and transducer. MFD I'd buy new but Radar and Transducer I feel like taking a gamble on a used unit might be worth it.

I'll be honest, the 3D scan feature I never used because it didn't really work well. It was great in theory but overall, I used the fish-finder feature more. The 3D scan works well in a clearly defined bottoms, but if you have seaweed, or brackish water, it doesn't work really well. For example, going to the mouth of the Puyallup river and fishing there, 3D scan would be useless because of the different water temps and density between fresh and salt water... and if you go a bit more towards Point Defiance, you have huge kelp beds that will prevent you from seeing clearly where the bottom is. I always opted for the fish-finder with a map screen because 3D scan was a meh thing.

Sorry for a long post. I've just been thinking about this myself and I know exactly where you are.

All my electronics were Raymarine, top & bottom helm. I can put Chartplotter, digital depth, and Radar all displayed together , in pairs, or by themselves.I used E120 at upper and E80 at lower. Good luck!
      1999 4087 with twin Cummins 270HP
      Custom Hardtop over Flybridge

Comment

• Seahawk II
        Seahawk II commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Here’s an idea....

I run a boat parts store as part of my business endevors.

The price everyone sells electronics for are based on the “minimum advertised price”

I can sell for below that price but I cannot advertise to sell below that price.

If you email us at [email protected] with the specific part numbers you are considering, along with the best pricing you can find, we will do our best to save you real money.

We are authorized dealers for all major brands and all gear is brand new current models with full manufacturers warranties.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

• Seahawk II
        Seahawk II commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, will do!

• Shipsngiggles
        Shipsngiggles commented
        Editing a comment
        And KSANDERS comes to the rescue

"I know man, I am in the same exact boat as you are. You sit down and you start looking at what is available out there, and you're quickly realizing that it comes down to usability, scalability, and quality.

Couple of things to think about...

Lowrance is a good brand, although they have some QC issues at times. With Lowrance you get access to Simrad and B&G family of products which expands your usability and allows you to pick and choose different brands. I had a Lowrance fishfinder/Chartplotter for 9 years, it was temperamental but effective. Used it quite often for fishing, crabbing and general navigation.

Garmin is a decent brand, they have some cool options but they are not modifiable... meaning, the features are what the features are, and they don't really play good with other manufacturers. Meaning, if you start with Garmin, you keep going with Garmin. The only benefit of Garmin is that they recently purchased Navionics, so you can hope for map integration in the near future, but if that is what you want then you might as well go with Raymarine who has a much greater product library and an established foothold in the marine electronics world. If I had a choice between Garmin and Furuno, for the extra $300 I'd go with Furuno.

Furuno, I think that I have said plenty about Furuno. I like the brand and I think it's worth the money. If you look around you might be able to find really good deals on electronics. Like I said, I saw their 12.1" MFD for just under $2K. Search the Furuno Refurb and Outlet store as well, you might find really good deals there. Currently the 12" display and the radar are being sold as a package for $4,390 on several sites. I'd also look for possibly a used radar and transducer. MFD I'd buy new but Radar and Transducer I feel like taking a gamble on a used unit might be worth it.

I'll be honest, the 3D scan feature I never used because it didn't really work well. It was great in theory but overall, I used the fish-finder feature more. The 3D scan works well in a clearly defined bottoms, but if you have seaweed, or brackish water, it doesn't work really well. For example, going to the mouth of the Puyallup river and fishing there, 3D scan would be useless because of the different water temps and density between fresh and salt water... and if you go a bit more towards Point Defiance, you have huge kelp beds that will prevent you from seeing clearly where the bottom is. I always opted for the fish-finder with a map screen because 3D scan was a meh thing.

Sorry for a long post. I've just been thinking about this myself and I know exactly where you are."

No problem, I really do want to hear opinions. I'm getting down to either Lowrance or Furuno. As I said earlier, I know Furuno and really do like their product. You start looking at the packages for Lowrance, I see bundles for "Live" and "Carbon", which at first I thought they were describing the color of the unit, LOL. Okay so which is better, or a newer platform? Off you go into google land to research and 30 minutes later you find "live" is newer but not necessarily better according to new product reviews. Now, with all the stuff I've read just trying to figure that out, I'm now confused over which transducer is best, 3 in 1 or all seeing??? Overload.....LOL Seriously though, It's clearing up.
      Wayne,

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
        Shipsngiggles commented
        Editing a comment
        I know the feeling. I started down the rabbit hole. I was even about 30 seconds away from purchasing a Halo20+ unit and then decided that Furuno was just a better option for my boat. I will be a Furuno boat... especially because it also adds to the value of the boat when people are buying it, at least from what I heard.

I will say this based on experience of a few friends, do it all at once. You will risk some incompatibility somewhere even with the same brand if you decide you want to add some other feature in a year or two.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Okay, I decided to stay Furuno.

Kevin, I have sent an e-mail to you with specific part numbers but not best pricing I could find.
        Wayne,

Comment

Going to start with the TZT12F touch 3, DRS4D 24" Doppler radome and the BBWX4 Sirius/Sat weather. I need to get the radar installed before 3rd week of April for Halibut. I will add to it as time goes on but I'm thinking sonar will be next. I already have a Furuno GP1670F pulling sonar/plotter duty.

The decision to go with a 12" vice 9" MFD was easy once I did a cardboard mockup of the 12" unit and placed it on the dash. There are no navigation visibility issues mounted on the dash in front of me on my 2859.

I do see Furuno radar packages for $4390.00 but those are "touch 2" all glass MFD which originally came out in 2015 I believe. The fact that Furuno ditched that design after 5 years tells me something.
          Wayne,

Comment

Originally posted by Seahawks II View Post
            Going to start with the TZT12F touch 3, DRS4D 24" Doppler radome and the BBWX4 Sirius/Sat weather. I need to get the radar installed before 3rd week of April for Halibut. I will add to it as time goes on but I'm thinking sonar will be next. I already have a Furuno GP1670F pulling sonar/plotter duty.

The decision to go with a 12" vice 9" MFD was easy once I did a cardboard mockup of the 12" unit and placed it on the dash. There are no navigation visibility issues mounted on the dash in front of me on my 2859.

I do see Furuno radar packages for $4390.00 but those are "touch 2" all glass MFD which originally came out in 2015 I believe. The fact that Furuno ditched that design after 5 years tells me something.
            Yes, big difference in price from the TZ2 to the TZ3 displays.

My opinion, since manufacturers update technology frequently is to but the latest technology you can and keep it for a a long time.
            A new Nav system is a huge investment. I think you'll be happy with the Furuno gear!

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
            https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

• Seahawk II
              Seahawk II commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly, although Furuno will support Touch2 for some time it is 5 year old technology.
              The reason I say ditching the design tells me something is Furuno put manual controls back on the face of the touch 3 MFD is because there were lots of complaints about losing function in rough seas, cold weather, etc.

The best advice I’ve heard with electronics is wait as long as you can. It gets better every year.
            Glen Sherwood
            1987 3270 twin 305’s
            Coupeville, WA

Comment

• Seahawk II
              Seahawk II commented
              Editing a comment
              I am Halibut fishing 3rd week of April so I think I followed your advice to the letter. LOL

Thanks Kevin, and if I may; in post #19, Big Lake Supply was offered by it's owner as a source to purchase my electronics. I found the lowest listed prices online, submitted them, and in every case Big Lake Supply did indeed beat the price by a lot. Highly recommended.
            Wayne,

Comment

Working...
            X