89 OMC Cobra drive maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 OMC Cobra drive maintenance

I am wondering which seals / gaskets I should replace on my outdrive, an 89 OMC Cobra mated to a 5.8L engine. Is there a need to seperate the two halves? I bought gaskets sets for both halves. The maintenance manual does not specify in the maintenance section, but in the drive section it tells you hw to take the whole thing appart down to the last bolt and nut. Don't think I am willing to go that far.
    I have attached images of both cases feel free to circle what I should replace.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Metrodriver View Post
    I am wondering which seals / gaskets I should replace on my outdrive, an 89 OMC Cobra mated to a 5.8L engine. Is there a need to seperate the two halves? I bought gaskets sets for both halves. The maintenance manual does not specify in the maintenance section, but in the drive section it tells you hw to take the whole thing appart down to the last bolt and nut. Don't think I am willing to go that far.
    I have attached images of both cases ...........

feel free to circle what I should replace.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OMC Cobra to SX joke for Metrodriver.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	605365

Ok.... OK.... I'm just pulling your leg!

One of the more educated OMC guys will be along soon, and will answer your questions.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

nice one Rick! BTW I can adjust a Cobra so it does not clunk, and the ESA will work just perfect so much so that you don't even realize its working but....
      to answer the question...
      The reason to split the upper & lower gear housings is if other repairs are needed, such as replacing the water tube grommets (these can be damaged by overheats and result in lowered raw water flow), or if the gasket for the shift rod cover leaks and you have water in the gear oil. You replace the 3 orings shown in the diagram above (left side one) they fit on the bearing housing. Also for boats kept in the water if marine growth is a big problem you may have to do this just to clean out the water intake passage (that's common to all outdrives in salt water though). On mine I had this issue (barnacles growing on the water intake screen despite painting with anti fouling) so I eventually removed the screen and left it out, I can clean out that area with a stiff wire and have no more overheating issues. Every 3 years or so put a new impeller kit in. That's about all I ever had to do to my Cobra 18 years of salt water use.
      Trying to get one apart, if used in salt water can be a challenge, so I have a trick for that too.....I put a piece of all thread through the hole for the trim rams rod in the tail end of the upper gear housing. Then put 2 1/2" bolts and nuts in the lower drive mounting holes. Now take 3 scissors jacks and carefully jack under the 2 bolts and each side of the all thread. The upper gear housing will gradually come up off of those 3 o rings. Nice and easy this way just take your time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobra with bolts and all thread to remove upper.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	552.5 KB
ID:	605381

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I JUST FOUND THIS ON YOU TUBE OMC Cobra upper oil seals replaced on the boat

https://youtu.be/7ffhZjvodJI Please see http://www.sterndrive.info/id207.html for OMC Cobra water pump adaptor parts and tech help. Video includes the following

Comment

I drained the oil overnight, and there is some water in it. I was watching the above mentioned video and one cause can be too much pressure on the muffs when flushing, coming through the impeller shaft seal. Or the shift rod, or the water tube or... to be discovered first week of December. Work is caling again.

Comment

Working...
          X