Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 2459 fuel tank replacement

hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has access to the photos associated with a very helpful string of discussion on the steps associated with a fuel tank replacement for a 2459 trophy with alaskan bulkhead.

Purchased the boat last year with a tired 5.0 litre omc and a broken coupler. Repowered it with a 5.7 litre v8 omc this past spring. Boat also had new transom mount and volvo penta outdrive done in 2014 so I thought we were all good!

Discovered fuel tank leak in the 94 gallon tank when we were commissioning the engine, which is running beautifully but loves its fuel.

As you might imagine, 170 gallons of fuel is no fun to store above deck for long range trips with three adults on board.

At any rate i'm actively looking into the DIY details and found a very helpful string from 2016 with pics referenced but not showing up.

Ideally I would like to maximize fuel tank size as I live on the shore of great slave lake, the 10th largest lake in the world and the fantastic fishing spots are a good 4-5 hours away from home.

Any help on design specs or photos of similar jobs on this vintage of bayliner would be much appreciated.

Fresh water tanks aren't necessary up here as you can drink the water so am thinking about pulling that to add space for a larger tank. something in the 130 gallon range would be ideal i think put perhaps wishful thinking. the forward bilge area does have considerable space but the old ply wood slats will need to be re-done for sure. Not sure what other skeletons I'll find under there either.

Thanks all,

Andrew

There was a thread here a few years back with a guy doing this job on our year and model. Mines an '89 but same build.

The thread likely went poof when the forum did a rebuild, the pictures are gone for sure.

Regarding removing your water tank to go bigger you will be removing the sealed bulkhead the separates the engine / fuel compartmemt from the passenger and v berth area.

This will defeat safety and violate laws.

You would need to completely surround and seal it on 3 sides to regain the original safety design.
    I don't see that as feasible but stanger things have happened.
    " WET EVER "
    1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
    mmsi 338108404
    mmsi 338124956
    "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

ok thanks good to know. 94 gallons is much better than nothing. Sounds like I will have to live with that. Shame about the pics as it sounded like a carbon copy of mine. I did find the post but no pics to go with it.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Astewartyk View Post
        ok thanks good to know. 94 gallons is much better than nothing. Sounds like I will have to live with that. Shame about the pics as it sounded like a carbon copy of mine. I did find the post but no pics to go with it.

Regards
        Yea it’s a bummer we lost so much stuff when we last “upgraded”. Have you tried a PM to the member who posted the pics? Those 24’s are so popular, I remember a couple of those owners doing custom stuff in the fuel tank area.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
          Those 24’s are so popular, I remember a couple of those owners doing custom stuff in the fuel tank area.
          That's the 2452 you're thinking of, our 2459's are a rare bird in comparison.

" WET EVER "
          mmsi 338108404
          mmsi 338124956

Comment

Did mine a few years back but don't have any pictures. Had to cut the floor out between the doghouse and cabin door, removed the old tank which had many pin holes. New tank built, installed and floor re-glassed. Pretty simple really.
            89 2459 Trophy
            350 Mag Mpi
            Bravo III 24 Pitch
            Vancouver, BC

Comment

Thanks that is somewhat reassuring. Did you minimize the cut on the deck to slightly larger than the dimensions of the old tank or try to preserve the non skid finish by cutting a larger section? Did you reinforce the cut portion with a wood frame of some kind below the deck?

Need to take a run at this soon as winter is fast approaching and heated workshops with high ceilings and good ventilation are hard to come by around here.

regards

Comment

Took the cabin wall off the back of the trophy yesterday. Pulled the fuel tank today. Only unexpected part of taking the wall down is you need to pull the cooler/fridge out in order to access the 3 main screws that anchor the wall to the helm side. Only 4 screws to pull the cooler once you figure it out. Once those are out its fairly straight forward. For the tank I relied on a skil saw and oscillating blade to cut the floor out. Bow side was a little trickier to cut free. Stern bulkhead was more straight forward. Used a few scrap 4x4's a rubber mallet and some lithium grease to lift the tank out with a come along. Definitely tight but worked out. The tank is fairly light and easy to handle once its free. Lots of slime below and glassed in on bow and stern. Will post some photos as I would very much have appreciated some beforehand. Planning to pressure test and soap the tank to see how many holes it has. Have a quote from a shop in Campbell River to build a new one. Add in shipping cost from manitoulin and ut will be $2000.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201012_162252.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	602361 Hole was 35 1|2 wide and 34 long from the engine compartment to the edge of the cabin. Just enough space to get it out

Comment

• builderdude
                    builderdude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nicely done👍🏼

Name:	20201012_163051.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	602363

Comment

Name:	20201012_163047.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	602365

Comment

That looks like a rather small tank... I have a 2159 and my 60 Gallon tank runs under the cockpit floor, the front hitting the bulkhead under the v-birth door. The water tank is a big clear plastic tank (15 gallons?) in the back of the "coffin", secured to the wall by a bracket.
                      If you have nothing under the cockpit floor, you could put an auxillary tank there...

Could you send me some pictures of how your bulkhead is mounted? I want to build one this winter, and seeing how others are mounted would help me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Metrodriver View Post
                        If you have nothing under the cockpit floor, you could put an auxillary tank there...
                        Refer to post #2 as to why NOT to do this.

" WET EVER "
                        mmsi 338108404
                        mmsi 338124956

Comment

• Metrodriver
                          Metrodriver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are saying it is ok to have the tank running under the entire cockpit /wheelhouse of a 2159 , yet on a 2459 this would be dangerous?

To OP
                        Keep the info and pics of your progress coming, someday I likely will find myself in the same boat...which I have.
                        " WET EVER "
                        mmsi 338108404
                        mmsi 338124956

Comment

The tank I pulled is 94 gallons according to the specs on the tag. Going to clean it up and stick to indoor activities at this point. Sub zero Temps from here on out up here. Once I've cleaned up the tank and honed in on trouble spots I'll share more pics. Going to need to research the best way to brace the floor and upgrade the fuel coffin. Definitely a few corrosion spots where the tank contacted the old ply wood slats. Which bulkhead are you interested in? The bow side or the engine side?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X