stren drive what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stren drive what is it?

I am down to taking off the stern drive. They look awful. 270 270t 270d what does the letter stand for? Are all 270 units the same? Starting to remove them this week. I am sure there is an id tag somewhere but just what as much infor as I get because I think these units are toast!! This one got me!

Catbaby

Originally posted by catbaby View Post
    I am down to taking off the stern drive. They look awful. 270 270t 270d what does the letter stand for?
    The 270 is a single prop AQ series drive, and was available in 3 final reductions.

The 270T is a similar version but with a single hydraulic trim unit....
    and you DO NOT want a T drive!

I'm not understanding you regarding the 270D.
    If the D follows the serial number, it would indicate the reduction, of which will be 2.15:1 for the 4 cylinder engines.

Are all 270 units the same?
    Yes and No!
    All 270 transmissions are of the same reduction and can be interchanged (proper shimming must be performed).
    Not all lower units are the same reduction.... but they too can be interchanged (proper shimming must be performed)

The final gear reductions will be determined by the lower gear unit, and will be different for each engine .
    B = V-8 1.61:1
    C = 6 cylinder 1.89:1
    D = 4 cylinder 2.15:1

There is also an early version of the 270 that uses some 250 specs.

Starting to remove them this week. I am sure there is an id tag somewhere but just what as much infor as I get because I think these units are toast!! This one got me!
    Remove the transmission ONLY first.
    Then remove the rest of the drive.

Do the reverse of that when going back together.

Drive the suspension fork hinge pins out with nothing harder than an Italian bread stick..... such as aluminum or brass.
    Use a propane torch to heat the aluminum pin bosses before you attempt to drive them out.

Catbaby
    By the way, a few pictures of the drive would be very helpful.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Many thanks Can I buy you a cold beer!! I will get pics asap. It hot here really hot may slow me down a litte.
      Thxs again.
      Catabary

Comment

i think it is a 270T I know pictures would be great but need to learn how to get them loaded. The drive has a motor drive in the stern plate. It is the same set up I have seen on ebay.
        Why is this such a bad thing? Educate me. Looks like it would be a costly convert....maybe not...
        Thanks
        Catbaby

Comment

Upload your pics by clicking on the “Upload Attachments” tab.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	79460887-DD33-463B-9380-897D875D30B0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	464.3 KB ID:	594342
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

The T drive was Volvo Penta's attempt at a hydraulic trim/tilt stern drive, and was a failed attempt at that.

This was produced during the time when Merc wanted the rights to the Volvo Penta's patented Cone Clutch design, and Volvo Penta wanted to use Merc's hydraulic trim/tilt cylinder concept.

The suspension fork has 2 arms that extend forward of the hinge pins.
            The goofy looking vertical hydraulic cylinder arrangement attaches to the suspension fork arms.

Note that the actual trim was done with a single plunger style hydraulic unit (lower right hand corner).

Click image for larger version

Name:	AQ series T drive.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	594348

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

So Rick you say if was a failed attempt is that because it wasn’t reliable? If so what was the weak part the trim plunger?
              1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
                So Rick you say if was a failed attempt is that because it wasn’t reliable? If so what was the weak part the trim plunger?
                Honestly, I've only worked on a few of them.
                They lived a short production life.
                Apparently they had issues with the hydraulics and some of the rubber components.
                Parts now days are all but impossible to find.

Due to Brunswick purchasing Mercury Marine, our Bayliner boats never got to see the C and later drives (still within the AQ series), when the design became greatly improved.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                  Nauti_Mike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks

good information. I have twin outdrives...so can the 270t be converted to a better system? I need to keep in mine that it's x2 for everything I do.. the cruse of twin motors!🤑🤑
                Thanks
                Catbaby

Comment

Originally posted by catbaby View Post
                  good information. I have twin outdrives...so can the 270t be converted to a better system?

Well, the drive itself (transmission, Intermediate housing and lower gear unit) could be re-mounted onto a less problematic suspension fork and transom shield.

The first worthwhile hydraulic trim drive would be the 290.
                  Better yet would be a pair of C or C1 drives with an even better hydraulic system.

I need to keep in mind that it's x2 for everything I do.. the cruse of twin motors! 🤑🤑
                  Did you mean "the curse of twin engines!" ?
                  If so, I'd not foo-foo twin engines..... twin engines can be a real plus!

And yes..... Xs 2 regarding the cost when replacing parts.
                  But keep in mind that the issues you may have with the T drives will also be Xs 2.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                  X