Converting engine bay to have removable sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting engine bay to have removable sections

I have a 2006 205 with a 4.3 MPI. I need to remove the starter as it is spinning but not engaging with flywheel. I have done it before with great difficulty but this time the bolts are rusted as salt water made its way onto them. Anyway it is impossible to remove them the way things are. I was thinking of cutting out a section of the engine compartment/rear seat area so I can get in there and work. Will make up stainless plates so I can bolt it all back together. Yes I tried ever sort of catalyzing penetrating oil etc...Thoughts?

Doesn’t look molded in, have you considered unscrewing and removing the entire piece?
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30346.jpg Views:	3 Size:	177.5 KB ID:	589923Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30347.jpg Views:	3 Size:	189.9 KB ID:	589924

Click image for larger version

Name:	88 FW engine bulkheads.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	589925 Agreed that looks like a separate piece that should come off. If not there should be a special place in hell for the designers. I have seen boats like that at the boat show and I have to laugh, who would buy such a mechanical atrocity? If boat makers still want to sell I/O's they have to quit making their customer's lives so difficult. My old boat has wood panels I can remove to access just one side, or both. I redesigned the whole thing years back after I got sick and tired of moving that heavy one piece bench seat. Just did the starter on mine, put in an ARCO PMGR starter. They really spin nice!
      the old piece of upholstery is a part of the original rear seat, I kept it to lean on to keep from getting myself beat up doing these jobs! great for oil filter changes and starter changes...
      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I wish....that piece is part of the entire top of the boat all the way to the bow. Planned obsolescence at its finest. Designed so at some point the labour involved for a repair is more than the value of the boat promoting new boat sales. Only other option in my case is to remove the engine. Imagine the labour bill from a dealer for that.

Comment

That’s crazy! But yes I have seen many newer boats designed like that. I might ask someone at a fiberglass shop the best way to do that. I’ve owned this boat 18 years and in that time was able to do a top end overhaul with the engine still in the boat (new cyl heads etc), changed the exhaust 3 times (necessary in salt water use) the starter 3 times, and the blower twice. I was able to do all of that without trouble due to re designing the back of the boat; replacing the big full width bench seat with 2 smaller 36” wide benches and redesigning the wood partitions to make them easy to remove.
          Before you do the cutting you just want to make sure you don’t lose structural rigidity...
          Here's how they should be designed:

Name:	installed reman cyl heads.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	589975 with all the seats & partitions out for a top engine overhaul...

Name:	re-assembling the old 4.3.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	589976 all back together: Click image for larger version

Name:	4.3 with new exhaust system.png
Views:	100
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	589977Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimini Top.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	589978
          two smaller benches that are easy to remove compared to that back breaking full width bench it came with....

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Originally posted by 88fourwinns View Post
            ................. If not, there should be a special place in hell for the designers.
            Amen to that!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

thinking it over some more, if you are going to keep that boat for more than a year or so I'd take it to a 'glass shop and see if they will make the cuts and reinforcements for you so that it is strong and looks good. Its not easy to do that yourself. Where there's a will there's a way. Here in Long Island I know a shop that could do a nice job on that, and it will make your life 100% easier than struggling with that horrible design that Bayliner should be really ashamed of. When I fixed mine up it was easy because it was just wood, hinges, screws and wing nuts.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

You could likely cut those areas fairly clean with a Fein tool then glass in some backer blocking behind the joints and screw it back together from the inside. You could doctor up the edge of the cuts with gel coat to make it look good.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Or use a piece of fender welting to make the seam
                  look finished. Fiberglass is pretty forgiving but needs backing and support so it doesn’t flex too much...

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I agree the design sucks but if I was looking at the boat to buy and someone had done that I would probably walk unless I was basically stealing it.

Technically what you are wanting to do is not very complicated.
                    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Got it done. Turned out pretty good actually. Made up some 1/4" aluminum splice plates, threaded holes and used 1/4" flat head stainless machine screws. Weird part was the price of a new starter, I checked at a few automotive parts stores over $350.00, new sierra marine one locally $130.00 Canadian. Usually if something has "marine" in the name the price doubles.

Comment

That looks very good! Now would it have been that difficult for them to build it that way? It could have been designed for the whole piece that the jumpseats and engine hatch are mounted to come out, same way. Instead you'd have some fool "authorized service center" telling you that the engine has to be pulled to change a starter!

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

First rule of boats is NOTHIN REALLY FITS. Second rule, don’t be afraid to get creative . It’s pretty easy to outdue any manufacturer when it comes to things like this. All it takes is some careful thought and a lot of patience.

Comment

Working...
                          X