X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigels
    replied
    Mocoondo wrote:
    Bayliners reputation is well deserved. It is not because all Bayliners are bad, but rather, because many Bayliners have proven to be bad. The main problem is quality control. Bayliner can build a great boat one year and the next model year of the same boat is trash. With Bayliners, you just have to pick and choose. I'm happy with mine, but I lucked out and bought a good year. I've been on some Bayliners that had edges finished with a sawzall. Other things just make me shake my head ... carpeting in the engine compartment ... carpeting around the toilet ... exposed wood in wet areas ... wood screws used to attach upholstery, etc.

The bottom line is that it is OK to own a Bayliner ... you just have to pick and choose.
    As dpoelstra points out $65000 difference! Its a no brainer, buy the Trophy, spend a couple of $K fixing screws and carpet so the GF doesn't get splinters, (if you are so inclined) and spend $63000 on a Merc...oops sorry 3 Hyundai Elantras!

Leave a comment:

• Nigels
    replied
    dpoelstra wrote:
    I was just at the Fred Hall show here in Long Beach, and climbed abourd a 24 footish (sorry, not sure) Trophy. nice boat, set up pretyt nice, brand new for about $55k. Then I climbed aboard a same size Roballo (sp?). Nice boat, set up nice, had a nicer (but same size) cabin. Aside from a cabin that was noticably nicer (mostly upholstery), there was not a lot of difference. In fact, the towers were almost identical, and were very nice on both. The Roballo was on a show special for $120,000!!! More than twice the price!!! The difference was not even Mercedes vs Honda! It was more like Honda vs. Acura. More than twice the price!!!

Amazing...
    Exactly my point!

Leave a comment:

• Mocoondo
    replied
    Bayliners reputation is well deserved. It is not because all Bayliners are bad, but rather, because many Bayliners have proven to be bad. The main problem is quality control. Bayliner can build a great boat one year and the next model year of the same boat is trash. With Bayliners, you just have to pick and choose. I'm happy with mine, but I lucked out and bought a good year. I've been on some Bayliners that had edges finished with a sawzall. Other things just make me shake my head ... carpeting in the engine compartment ... carpeting around the toilet ... exposed wood in wet areas ... wood screws used to attach upholstery, etc.

The bottom line is that it is OK to own a Bayliner ... you just have to pick and choose.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was just at the Fred Hall show here in Long Beach, and climbed abourd a 24 footish (sorry, not sure) Trophy. nice boat, set up pretyt nice, brand new for about $55k. Then I climbed aboard a same size Roballo (sp?). Nice boat, set up nice, had a nicer (but same size) cabin. Aside from a cabin that was noticably nicer (mostly upholstery), there was not a lot of difference. In fact, the towers were almost identical, and were very nice on both. The Roballo was on a show special for $120,000!!! More than twice the price!!! The difference was not even Mercedes vs Honda! It was more like Honda vs. Acura. More than twice the price!!!

Amazing...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yes, your Bayliner is THAT bad....let me help you. Sign over your title and gimme the keys....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    While these threads are somewhat amusing......the shear volume of these every year makes these (eye roll).....What was this about again?

Leave a comment:

• Nigels
    replied
    I'll bet if an in depth costs analysis was done on two similar boats, a Trophy and a Grady White for example, listing every manufacturing item and its cost, that went into each boat, that there would not be that much difference.

The difference in selling price though is obviously huge and not in proportion to costs. Bayliners benefit by economies of scale, large production runs reduce costs and hence selling prices, conversley smaller runs will have increased costs. The increased cost and subsequent inflated selling price do not make the more expensive product better. Only perceived better, by some.

Take cars for example, I have had Mercedes and BMW's and yet Hondas, Toyotas, Fords and Hyundais at about half the cost are IMO the better cars. Over here in Europe, if you pass a breakdown truck 5to1 it will be a Merc or a BMW! Why pay 2 to three times as much for a car just for its perceived value? Status is one factor.

Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• boatworkfl
    replied
    I always liked the 42' Tollycraft.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, if you are gonna GO THERE, look at what they did to Harley Davidson . . .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    biohazard wrote:
    just to put this into perspective.

Searay and Bayliner are built int he same factories. Owned by the same bowling pin company.
    Don't forget bowling balls

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As a Tollycraft guy, I had the opportunity to meet mr. Tollefson before he died. He told a group of us about negotiating with the originator of Bayliner, Mr. Orin Edson? or something like that? about a merger of the two companies

Tolly decided not to pursue the merger because he felt that Bayliner had too much debt.

He laughed and said, when he sold Bayliner he got something like $65 million. . .

There was no mention of the quality of the Bayliner boats. . .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My surveyor buddy just completed a insurance survey on a 33' SeaRay that had so much rot in the transom that the owner would have to complete replace all the core before getting insurance. He has also done many Bayliners. He said Bayliners have fewer problems and seldom fail surveys.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You know, they say that 93% of Sea Rays ever made are still out on the water.

The rest made it back to the marina.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh no, the word is out. These Bayliners suck so bad. I should know I am on my third one. They are horrible, and I am totally ignorant, they are not sea worthy and are made of sub-par materials that disolve in water. The fit and finish is awful and they are all outfitted with motors left over from the old Yugo factory. They are barely capable of floatation. I, and thousands of other owners are complete morons, in spite of boating my entire life, having owned other boats such as Thompson, Wellcraft and Chaparral. I was so ignorant about boats and boat construction that I was fooled by the Bayliner scam.

The more of this that I can get out there the better, I will likely be in the market again in a couple of years due to "2 foot itis" and may be looking for one of those inferior BL's again.

After all, when I called the surveyor in Daytona beach while buying my 288, in spite of being in the business for 15+ years, I guess he didn't know what he was talking about when HE suggested that I skip a survey on a 5 year old Bayliner because, in his words "they have their act together in regards to making hulls, they are good quality and I see very few issues in these boats. You have a Mercruiser engine with BII outdrive, anything that I might find wrong with it can be fixed for less than my survey fee. Save your money, buy the boat, and use what you would have paid me to fix whatever turns up." I am sure he is in on the scam, or just didn't want to make any money that day since the boat market is so strong. He is undoubtedly part of the conspiracy to sell defective, substandard, unsafe, poorly constructed, poorly finished, inferior, low quality boats.

No sarcasm here, right, none.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    just to put this into perspective.

Searay and Bayliner are built int he same factories. Owned by the same bowling pin company.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X