No announcement yet.

Is bayliner really that bad?-gctid351577

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome to the zoo......bays are a compromise....do you want to pay for the snob appeal of say a searay??...or just buy a nice looking boat and enjoy it.....practical...easy to use.......

:arr arr

Comment

If you really want to get them fired up, ask them about the Grady White transoms that fall off......the same guys that bash bayliners, somehow feel that because they paid a lot more, it's different that its a know issue that older gradys have dry rot issues, it's that the surveyor "have it out for grady". Do a google search, it makes for fascinating reading.

Comment

Ok I have bought 4 new Bayliners. from this I have learned that the people who bad mouth them the most are the people who are trying to compete against them. I have twice said "any thing but a Bayliner" only to buy another one. Look at the other boats Brunswick make (Don't compare with their bowling balls) The only bad thing I can say about then is if you stick your hand in a place that you can't see Band Aids will probably be required. When I bought my current boat it was between a Tolly and a Bayliner. The lay out in the bayliner was great and the Tolly was so so. the price difference was 100K! we bought the Bayliner

Comment

It all depends on what, where, and how you are cruising. Our 4550 is not a blue water cruiser meant to cross oceans- give me a defever 49, kadey krogen 54, or a nordhavn 46 for that please. But, for what it is designed to do, i.e. coastal cruising, it's hard to beat it for the price. Is the fit and finish as nice as our Monk trawler? probably not but that is ok. Structurally they are good boats and hold up well.

Funny though, I am very active on another boating forum geared towards trawlers and am a moderator there. I was shocked at the response some of them gave when I announced we bought the bayliner 4550. Most all educated cruising boaters recongize the quality design, good layout, and great value of the 45/47 but man- they about had a cow when I mentioned bayliner. Same statements of "they are junk." Oh well. If it's junk I am pretty happy with it. Reality is that same vintage taiwanese trawlers that are so esteemed by many as great ICW cruisers have more known issues than the larger bayliners...leaking fuel tanks, rotten teak decks, leaking windows, substandard wiring, etc. The biggest hang up against the larger bayliners is the name itself on the side of the boat.
          ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Comment

Woodsong wrote:
            It all depends on what, where, and how you are cruising. Our 4550 is not a blue water cruiser meant to cross oceans- give me a defever 49, kadey krogen 54, or a nordhavn 46 for that please. But, for what it is designed to do, i.e. coastal cruising, it's hard to beat it for the price. Is the fit and finish as nice as our Monk trawler? probably not but that is ok. Structurally they are good boats and hold up well.

Funny though, I am very active on another boating forum geared towards trawlers and am a moderator there. I was shocked at the response some of them gave when I announced we bought the bayliner 4550. Most all educated cruising boaters recongize the quality design, good layout, and great value of the 45/47 but man- they about had a cow when I mentioned bayliner. Same statements of "they are junk." Oh well. If it's junk I am pretty happy with it. Reality is that same vintage taiwanese trawlers that are so esteemed by many as great ICW cruisers have more known issues than the larger bayliners...leaking fuel tanks, rotten teak decks, leaking windows, substandard wiring, etc. The biggest hang up against the larger bayliners is the name itself on the side of the boat.
            Yep, Woodsong That one got me more fired up than usual.:livid:

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

We love our 4087, loads of space, solid boat. It blows around when docking in strong winds and doesn't like rough short chop.

When we get together with our yacht club friends, they can't believe the space we have along with the fit and finish. These are guys with GB's (who definitely have their share of problems), Ocean's, Tiara's, Rivera's etc Its major issue for me is lack of space around the engines, but my mechanic is a contortionist!

Like others have said, don't knock it till you've tried it. I know many many years ago, think it was 70's to about mid 80's, Bay's did have some quality issues, but think around the mid 80's they got a good handle on it-but maybe never advertised what they had done to improve things.

Great boat, love it-you don't like it-I don't care!

Machog
              1996 4087 Lazy Days
              2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
              2011 Porsche Cayman
              2010 Lexus IS 250C
              2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                Yep, Woodsong That one got me more fired up than usual.:livid:
                For a minute there I thought they may boot both of us Kevin!!!
                ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Comment

billsguns wrote:
                  Ok I have bought 4 new Bayliners. from this I have learned that the people who bad mouth them the most are the people who are trying to compete against them.
                  That's it right there "trying to compete against them"

Bayliner is the most popular boat on the planet and for a reason. It may go against them due to the volume of boats as mentioned, however I think its more true that competitors keep the story going.

And the rest of us keep defending or helping buyers get past those idiotic stories. Bayliner doesn't seem to do anything about fixing it "the belief" or they just fix it by making a boat that the 90% of us can afford to purchase.

As for Graddy White, you still hear of their issues with current models as well as high end brands not owned by Brunswick that are having catastrophic hull failures and those boats sinking as a result.

Our 2755 is 23 years old and still shines like new and is a solid boat. The past two owners looked after the boat and it shows inside and outside. The only thing I had to do was restore the gelcoat. Mechanical items wear and need replacing on older boats and is expected.

So, hopefully you can recognize the value and I doubt it will take you long once you explore brands and the cost difference between them.

Comment

Woodsong wrote:
                    For a minute there I thought they may boot both of us Kevin!!!
                    And you're a moderator there!

I have to tell you that little twists me up faster than someone that has no direct knowledge of something coming off like they're an expert.

Working in the commercial or megayacht industry does not qualify someone as an expert on mid size motoryachts.

Now, if someone ever posts that they are a marine surveyor, and have surveyed X number of this model boat and found XXX as a common construction problem... Then They are qualified as an expert in my opinion.

I am very glad the thread we're pondering ended, because I was prepared to post that persons resume, and show that they have zero direct knowledge of Bayliner boats, AND that they do not actually own a boat.

But I'm older now, and held my tounge, and preserved the persons honor... I feel better for that. But 10 years ago...

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Alexirocz28 wrote:
                      Yes infortunally I bought the boat with out a surveying I just fell in love with it....
                      The #1 reason people buy bad boats...they let emotion dictate their purchase. Oh well, you're in good company!

Here are some of the answers to your concerns:

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...r Bashing FAQ.
                      Mike P
                      The Bahamas
                      Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

First off seriously would everybody just shut up?!!? If we start educating people about this we'll end up paying more!

Two things I need are stupid people who don't like Bayliners and people that like to buy new Bayliners so I can buy used ones.

We call them BayHole's on my other forum which is 'moderated' my a Hattaras owner so you knows how that goes

Just last night I dug up an old post on thehulltruth.com where a newbie asked about Bayliner on his very first post (as I did) never to be heard from again (i hung in there). They weren't as harsh on him as they were me a few years earlier - I think Strat helped the cause over there a bit. I stirred the pot just a bit about scaring off the guy so it was about the people bashing a newbie and the people started bashing the boat again; after six months. Sad really but it's so easy I couldn't resist. Good news is he was directed here so maybe he didn't succumb..

I was reading some other threads on here this morning about the sea ray club and I've never had any issues there to speak of. I just act like a duck and let it roll. If people are that small no matter what I say will change their mind and usually the most vocal are the smallest (or have the smallest weenie). Even my best friend of (now) 20+ years told me they were crap as I was showing him my 2550 just bought. And no he has never owned a boat. Really and truly when people bash me/our boat it really confirms the fact that I am smarter and am more rational than they are. Good news is most of the folks I hang with are just as 'smart' as me.

I'm on BayHole #4 ÔÇô only issues I've had were the infamous L-Drive and Cobra sterndrive, neither one a boat problem. Dam I wish the L drive had been workable; I LOVED the concept.

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
                          The #1 reason people buy bad boats...they let emotion dictate their purchase. Oh well, you're in good company!

Here are some of the answers to your concerns:

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...r Bashing FAQ.
                          Great list Mike,

I was a little disapointed it didn't have more sarcasm, but still a great Q&A.

Comment

well ,,first off the hulls from the 70 s era were all hand laid up and THICK , the mid eighties started chopper gun lay up and were thin .. my hull is a 1976 2550 saratoga i bought it because it had good bones. the boat was so rotten it stunk ,check out my pics . thank fully my bro. inlaw is a glass wizard he brought it back better than new . no more rot ...

Comment

so ... i am a "relative" newbie and in the last 3 years i have owned 3 boats. the first was a bayliner 185, the second a trophy 2052, and i now have a chaparral 204. ok - go ahead, but you can't give me any more grief than the admiral has! fortunately, i made out just fine on the sale and purchase of each boat so all is well there. but, i am focusing in on exactly what kind of boat i want for the long term.

I really like the chap but am looking at a discovery 246/266 for the future for 2-3 day/overnight cruises on the Puget Sound. i have asked several questions about them on this website and have received great feedback (thanks guys!).

i guess my question is whether there is any place where the construction specs for sea ray, chap, bayliner, and ?? have been discussed in real terms. What is the actual hull thickness for the boats? Stinger support? Etc. I figure as long as the hull and decks are solid I can deal with plastic vs. stainless cup holders. I really like the layout of the 246 a lot and my guess is that the essential construction is every bit as good as the others. In fact, i also look at the sea ray site and there is often criticism from owners about the "poor" quality of construction; same for the chap website.

Comment

just to put this into perspective.

Searay and Bayliner are built int he same factories. Owned by the same bowling pin company.

Comment

Working...
                                X