No announcement yet.

Is bayliner really that bad?-gctid351577

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit I was one of those who did an eye roll upon hearing "Bayliner". This without ever having owned one, or even been on one. Only due to what others had said. After owning a Sea Ray Sundancer 250 for a few years, we decided we wanted more room to cruise. A friend suggested I look at Bayliners, specifically the 38's, as the price/boat ratio was great. After the obligatory eye-roll, I enlisted his aid to go look at some boats to prove it to me that what he said was true. After looking at a number of boats (Bayliners & others), I came away amazed at the way Bayliner was able to utilize the space they had, particularly in the 38. Thus began our search for what eventually became our current boat, a 1986 3870. We found one with a very sound hull, no real electronics (helped the price, and I was able to outfit it the way I wanted) and had been well cared for, for a price that wouldn't get you into a new 20 footer today. It has its bad points, using Mitsubishi engines that have been aftermarket turbo'd being the largest. However, (knock on wood) they have been cared for, and we don't usually run them in the range that uses much of the turbo, keeping it at hull speed most of the time. It is a great boat for PNW cruising, and I have a completely new view on Bayliner boats. Right now we are loving it, and can't wait for (hopefully this year) summer.

Comment

I grew up boating my entire life (first boating license at 13) and 47 years later, love my BL. My dad was one of the skeptics and did the eye roll when I bought a new 96 2452. He came out to help me install downriggers, etc. He was amazed at how thick the hull and gunwales were and came away with a different attitude. He's initial attitude was based on the 70's BL when they were made as cheap as possible and as dad said, "you could read the Sunday paper through the hull on a sunny day". Ownership changed and the new improved BL came out. Its a great boat and worth the price. Many upgrade our boats beyond what a SeaRay provides off the showroom floor. We all have the same 3rd party stuff like engines and electronics. We don't have cored hulls like some other boat manufactures have. Our hull is solid and has a great gel coat finish like other boats... Lots of boat for little cost when compared to other boat lines...
      Doug ;}
      MMSI: 338068776
      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Honestly if you take a look at new bayliners, I think they are easily in par with searay and other brands that were considered "higher end". Their fit and finish is VERY nice.

Comment

What works in Bayliner's favor, actually works against them in reputation.

Bayliner made a production boat much less expensive for the masses, and got more people on the water, that we all agree on. The big problem was the owners. They did not have a big investment, so their care was not as high as it would be for a much more expensive boat. Many of these new boaters that Bayliner introduced to boating were novices, and like the mechanic that laughed at the thought of a boat getting wet, they were either too stupid or too ignorant (is there a difference?) to know better, and let these things rot and bake in the sun.

We have all seen example of nice 25 year old Bayliners that were well cared for in superb condition, and we have all seen the 5 year old Bayliners that are trashed. That is not Bayliners fault!

Personally, I can't see owning a mid sized cruiser in anything but a Bayliner, well, maybe a Sea Ray, but I am definately partial to Bayliners due to their great designs and the price. Even if I were to look at a Sea Ray, and the salesman started bashing Baylienrs (I did have that happen at a show), there is no way I would buy from soemone that ignorant or dishonest.

This is my 4th Bayliner since the early 90s, and even when I was a teenager on my Dad's 1979 Bayliner Saratoga, I always said the worst thing about a Bayliner is that it says "Bayliner" on the side, and that only because stupid people look down their crooked nose at them. In my younger years I actually pulled the name off of one of my Bayliners, and got compliments on the boat from then on.

Now I care less about ignorant people, so I am a proud Bayliner owner. It should say that I am a smart buyer who won't waste a ton of money on a nameplate. Heck, even Bayliner recognized the "Name" problem when they changed the Bayliner Motoryachts name to Meridian! Those are beautiful, and great boats.

Don't get me fired up!

Comment

Thanks guys

I am usually very cold blood when comes business... This boat was the first time I bought something that I didn't bargain and flipped upside down I just fell in love with it. Can't put in words how the lines in this boat are amazing in my eyes. It's just perfect I would not change nothing at all. Well maybe the 100 years old carpet and upholstery but nothing else. The Capri since I got it was something missing or not quiet there.

For the fellow that asked about my wife reading my observation about the Inlaws defenally not letting her reading the forum the boat is darn dirty and I don't have a dog house lol

Well I am heading to wall mart to buy a dehumidifier to leave inside the boat and take all the extra humidity out it's very damp inside problably a water leak somewhere or just me being crazy lol

Comment

I've been around and owned boats since I was a little boy. I'm on my second Bayliner - a 1998 3685 Avanti. My boat pryor to this one was a 1987 2750 Ciera. I've crawled through a lot of boats in my life, sail and power, and I can't find anything shoddy about Bay construction and neither have any of the surveyors I've hired over the years.

Any boat - any boat - can get rot. As far as I know, Bayliner never used any construction techniques that were sub par or below accepted industry standards. Quite a few manufacturers have learned hard lessons about fiberglass boat construction over the years, not just Bayliner. Sea Ray has had very notable construction problems over the years but it seems those are ignored while Bayliner gets the flak. Now they're both built by the same company so go figure. It's all about price point.

Before you start ripping your boat apart, go hire a surveyor and let him crawl through it. Let a pro do the job and put your mind at ease.

My 3685 is a go anywhere boat. So was my 2750. The 3685 is built as well as any boat I've ever spent any time on. She's also built better than a lot of boats that are considered more high end. I wouldn't hesitate to take that boat into the mouth of hell.

Comment

My 1983 salvaged Bayliner is not a high end yacht, it was not designed for that market, it was designed as a family type yacht, low hp engines because of fuel costs at the time. Bayliner markets for a market nich. If you crawl through a boat or yacht you can look at the fit and finish what you can see and in the hidden areas, yes you can pick it apart, so can you do this with other boats of the same price market. The fit and finish in new Bayliner boats/yachts are much better than in the past, there will be some lesser finished areas in hidden areas; it all comes down to what the buyer wants to pay for, you can buy a $400,000 bayliner of a given length, or you can buy one for 2 to 3 times that much, what works for you and what can you afford. I love my 3870 Bayliner, paid $1200 for the sunken boat salvage, and took years to refit it properly, lived on it for 8 years, and never owed money on it. One of the best family boats on the market, I will miss it when it sells!
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

One of the fastest ways to shut up a basher is to ask him what boat he actually owns.

Generally you'll find that the bashers don't actually own a boat of their own.

If they are a "boat expert" ask them how many they've actually surveyed themselves.

This happened to me recently on another forum.

Stopped the conversation right now.

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                  www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Show them this. http://www.yachtsurvey.com/cored_hull_bottoms.htm

Then ask them to show you one example of this happening to a Bayliner.

Doug
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned
                    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I promised myself I wouldn't add to another of these posts, still...

After a couple of less-than-perfect dockings over the years, I was missing two small pieces of the "Bayliner" lettering along one side. Rather than replace them I pulled off the rest, cleaned and waxed over until there was no trace of the name.

Now, when that side is facing people, I get all kinds of praise about what a nice boat it is, and they ask who made it. I hesitate with the answer until we've talked a while about what a great boat it is. I love the "oh, I didn't know how nice they really are" expression on their faces.

I'm not saying we should all do this, but it's a real eye-opener about reality vs. urban myths.

Comment

So, I currently have a 20' chaparral bow rider. I really like the boat a lot and it handles the puget sound quite well. That said, I am looking at a 246 discovery to extend my boating season. I must say that this bayliner bashing takes its toll on someone new to the line. I am trying really hard not to like the discovery because of all the bashing that goes on out there, but it really looks like a great boat. I have asked the question on this forum and owners of the boat really rave about it. The layout is exactly what I am looking for and my wife really likes the layout as well. As soon as i have enough $$ I will likely join the bayliner clan!

Comment

catalanc wrote:
                          So, I currently have a 20' chaparral bow rider. I really like the boat a lot and it handles the puget sound quite well. That said, I am looking at a 246 discovery to extend my boating season. I must say that this bayliner bashing takes its toll on someone new to the line. I am trying really hard not to like the discovery because of all the bashing that goes on out there, but it really looks like a great boat. I have asked the question on this forum and owners of the boat really rave about it. The layout is exactly what I am looking for and my wife really likes the layout as well. As soon as i have enough $$ I will likely join the bayliner clan!
                          I see its your 5th post and if no one has welcomed you, welcome to BOC.

I have been boating over 50 years and had more boats than I can easily count. I am on my 4th Bayliner. Enough said I think.

Doug
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned
                          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Reality and sensibility are good things to utilize. I'm taking this opportunity to show you what I am talking about with a pic of my boat. You see; my little pocket cruiser is fully equipped for big water offshore fishing at 1/4 price you would pay for other similiar manufactured boats. It is a 1992 and to purchased one similiar at todays prices such as a Sea Sport, Proline, Arima, Whaler, etc,etc you are going to pay $55,000-$85,000. I got the opportunity to get mine a few years back and have been enjoying the $25,000-$60,000 extra money in my pocket ever since. My boat is sound no rot! I maintain it like I do my automobiles as I like reliability.

Do your homework and you will find a very good bayliner boat and put more fun money in your pocket!

Comment

If you look at our 3055 you will see no Bayliner markings on it. Not sure why but it left the factory without the embossed Bayliner on the hull which most of the 1993 3055's had. Anyway, I can not tell you how many people compliment the boat. I really enjoy telling them it is a Bayliner and seeing their jaws drop, especially after they have gushed about how nice a boat it is.
                              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                              1998 3055 Ciera
                              (yes, a 1998)
                              Previous boat: 1993 3055
                              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                              Sea Doo XP
                              Sea Doo GTI SE
                              Life is short. Boats are cool.
                              The family that plays together stays together.
                              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Hey Thanks DMCB,

I appreciate it. Am still a ways off from a purchase, but actually looking forward to it. Will continue to peruse the forum for all sorts of great information.

cec

Comment

Working...
                                X