Wondering about my windlass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering about my windlass

This is the bow of my 1991 Ciera Sunbridge 2855. Wondering if anyone recognized the brand of this windlass since I can find no identifying marks on it. Anyone?

Hi Jim
    I did a little research,could not find a match...What's the problem?? If it's just the motor a good automotive electric shop starters,generators,alternator shop could probably repair the motor. Maybe send an e-mail with a pic. to some of the Windlass mfg.?....Good luck someone else might recognize it.....Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

That is an old windlass, and is extremely large for a 28 footer. It is also mounted too far forward, in my opinion.
      Ideally, we want the rode to be dropped into the AFT 1/3 of the rode locker.

Hard to say if you can find a new motor, or even have this one repaired.
      Honestly, I'd rather see you spend your money on a good Vertical Windlass.

The Vertical Windlass gypsy offers 180* of rode contact, whereas the Horizontal Windlass gypsy offers only 90* of rode contact.
      Contrary to what you may hear.... the Vertical unit's motor being under the bow deck is not an issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Windlass types and install.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.3 KB ID:	569000

Here's a Lewmar V-700 for $565.

https://www.boatid.com/lewmar/lewmar...EaAlKfEALw_wcB

Here's a Maxwell RC6 for $794.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/maxw...ARIsAHbLPhF2iF AotwJKwatGqwxu5dbh4bUlHDKfIjcxia5CMPl0pfFm7S1vAAka AsuaEALw_wcB

FYI:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass worm drive vs spur gears.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	569002
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thank you Brad and Rick. I appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
        X