Non-return Valve addition to AQ280 out drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-return Valve addition to AQ280 out drive

I thought I saw a recent (recent being the last couple of months) post from 2850Bounty or Pcpete about adding the 290 non-return plate to the 280 out drive. I did a search for the two part numbers (852643 and 852644) but it only brought up old threads/posts. I saw a dead link to a picture posted by Rick and would be interested in seeing that picture or some other info on how to perform this addition. Snow is still on the ground here in MI but spring is coming. A couple more projects won't hurt and will keep me busy on Saturdays until we can spend those Saturdays on the water.
    Justin
    1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
    AQ225D w/ 280
    MMSI 338355691
    St. Joseph, Michigan

that would very likely be my image..... I’ll find that for you in the morning.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

• C-ya
      C-ya commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks much.

Originally posted by C-ya View Post
    I thought I saw a recent (recent being the last couple of months) post from 2850Bounty or Pcpete about adding the 290 non-return plate to the 280 out drive. I did a search for the two part numbers (852643 and 852644) but it only brought up old threads/posts. I saw a dead link to a picture posted by Rick and would be interested in seeing that picture or some other info on how to perform this addition. Snow is still on the ground here in MI but spring is coming. A couple more projects won't hurt and will keep me busy on Saturdays until we can spend those Saturdays on the water.

OK.... only a limited amount of the 280 production models were equipped with a back-flow prevention flapper.
    These parts were never available over the counter.

In order to install a 290 back-flow prevention flapper onto a 280, the 280 housing will need to be slightly modified.
    As seen in my image below, the 280 housing has a raised bump in the center of the exhaust outlet area.
    The unique molded 280 flapper fits around this bump!
    That "bump" will need to be cut/filed/ground away and made flat in order for the 290 flapper to fit correctly.

The 290 flapper is also split in the center.
    Due to the shape of the 280 exhaust outlet, the 290 flapper will need to have a small amount of material cut away in the center so that it closes properly.
    (see red lines)

You will lay out and clamp the parts in place, and will then mark the housing for the 6 SS pop rivet holes.
    Make sure that the 290 flapper can flex as it should.

If your exhaust bellows is equipped with a back-flow prevention flapper, I would suggest removing it!
    (that flapper is far too restrictive for the larger engines)

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo Penta 280 to 290 flapper retro-fit.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	560044

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thank you! That is what I remembered seeing but couldn't find for some reason.
      Justin
      1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
      AQ225D w/ 280
      MMSI 338355691
      St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

The BOC was an invaluable source of help for me when I bought my Bayliner, as well as my Trophy. I thought I would give something back. (please delete if this is not allowed). After being unable to find an exhaust flap for a VP 280 outdrive, I ended up making one. I made a few extras and posted them on ebay. Also, I made some exhaust flaps for the VP 270. I'm no pro, I'm retired and just needed a part that I couldn't find. Here is the 280 flap as well as for the 270. Here is a link, if that helps. https://www.ebay.com/sch/uniqueboatp...p2047675.l2562 Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by uniqueboatparts View Post
          The BOC was an invaluable source of help for me when I bought my Bayliner, as well as my Trophy. I thought I would give something back. (please delete if this is not allowed). After being unable to find an exhaust flap for a VP 280 outdrive, I ended up making one. I made a few extras and posted them on ebay. Also, I made some exhaust flaps for the VP 270. I'm no pro, I'm retired and just needed a part that I couldn't find. Here is the 280 flap as well as for the 270. Here is a link, if that helps. https://www.ebay.com/sch/uniqueboatp...p2047675.l2562 Let me know if you have any questions.

The back flow prevention flapper for the V/P 280 drive was a production model option only.
          In other words, the parts were available on production boats only, and were never sold over the counter.
          It is unique in that it incorporates the correct form to seal against the "bump" on the 280 exhaust outlet.

Apparently this is an A-market part. Not a bad idea since it allows the owner to remove the internal bellows flapper in lieu of the one shown.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Volvo-P...MAAOSwwVBfMJ0z

As shown in post #3, if the 280 exhaust outlet's "bump" is removed, the V/P 290 back flow prevention flapper can be made to work just as well.

By the way, this thread is just over 1 year old.
          It's always best to start a new/fresh thread.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
          X