Bravo 3 Prop: Hairline Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bravo 3 Prop: Hairline Crack

Today while polishing my Bravo 3 Props, I found a crack in one blade... it's small, about .3 inches long, but appears to be a real thing. Has anyone here dealt with this? I know with my previous boat, which had aluminum propellers, no big deal- heliarc weld it up, grind it smooth, paint it and all better. Not so sure with stainless. It's the front prop.

This crack could have been there since I bought the boat. We rarely run above 1800 RPM (well, at least once a cruise to blow cobwebs out, but then we settle back down to cruising speed: 8-10 MPH).

Is this repairable?
    Jeff Prime
    "Optimystic Prime"
    2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
    Anacortes, WA

Stainless can be welded. Find a good prop shop.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

If you can’t find someone you feel good about in Annies Corset the Prop Shop in Mukilteo is excellent.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        😂Annie’s Corset, Pete you funny guy....
        +1 on the prop shop👍🏼

Well, I called two shops, and both say a Bravo 3 stainless prop is un-fixable. One was the Prop Shop in Mukilteo, btw.

And to further the problem, Mercruiser (or Mercury Marine, or Quicksilver) NO LONGER make 3 and 3 blade Bravo 3 props- they now have a 4 and 3 blade combo. So if I go new, I have to replace BOTH props- about $1,600!

So I'm going to replace the forward prop only, with a used one. They run anywhere from $300 to $500 on ebay. Sheesh.
      Jeff Prime
      "Optimystic Prime"
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Yea they do get a premium for those Bravo props. Even aluminum B2 props start around 480 or so.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Skip's Prop Shop here in Lake Havasu can probably repair it, their number is 928-855-0887. Tell them I sent you. They do repairs from all over, then UPS back to you.
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

• optimist_prime
            optimist_prime commented
            Editing a comment
            Jeff, PM me with your last name. BTW my sister and brother in law live in LHC. I could get them the prop and see if Skip's could fix it.

• Jeffw
            Jeffw commented
            Editing a comment
            Message sent. BTW, I'm almost positive that Solas makes Bravo 3 props, Richard (Skip's son) and I tested them for Solas on my boat a few years back. Every bit as good as the Mercs, and cheaper.

There are two prop shops in Mulkiteo. One is good, one is ok. Call them both.
          Tally and Vicki
          "Wickus" Meridian 341
          MMSI 338014939

Comment

This is the one you want. https://propshopinc.com/

There’s a long history there. Last I talked to the one on South Road, the other owner is happy to transport props, but he takes the to South Road and has them do the work.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

• optimist_prime
              optimist_prime commented
              Editing a comment
              P/CPete, I believe the one I called (425- 745-1700) is on South Road... She was the one who said they can't be welded.

if you're going to replace in anyway, why not take a shot at welding the crack. What can it hurt?

Toni

Yelm, Washington
            1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

So another twist to the story... A prop repair outfit in Plymouth, Minnesota apparently repairs/refurbishes B3 props... here's their web address: http://www.propmd.com/

Anybody have experience with them?

I emailed and got an immediate response to my inquiry of whether the crack is repairable and they requested a pic of it, which I sent this morning. The complete repair and balance job is $90 - $125 on my prop, far better than replacement.
            Jeff Prime
            "Optimystic Prime"
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

So... I sent the cracked prop off to a shop in MN called "PropMD", after sending them a pic of the crack. They turned it around in about 8 days; it cost me $145 plus $15 shipping. Looks pretty good (they balance and polish it in the process). In the meantime I removed all barnacles and painted the outdrive. Looks a lot better than a month ago!
              Jeff Prime
              "Optimystic Prime"
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
              X