X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Struggling with the same thing on my smaller 2556. Don’t think I could bring myself to mount a drum winch on deck either.
    🥴

Leave a comment:

• tekreck
    replied
    My new-to-me 2007 246 Discovery is at the boat yard right now having a windlass installed. I got lucky - it was ordered from the factory with the windlass pre-wire option. I will be single-handing most of the time and windlass is essential.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post

Some drum winches require us to be at the bow as to level-wind the rode onto the drum.
    We are also limited to the size/diameter of the drum regarding the amount of rode that it will handle.
    Whereas with a Windlass, they allow us to remain at the helm.
    The rode locker size will be the only limiting factor regarding the length of rode.

Granted, not all boats allow for the proper installation of a Windlass!
    If your bow deck is not suitable, or if a Bow Pulpit cannot be added, you may not want to attempt installing one!

But if it is suitable.......... layout..... layout......more layout..... and even more layout, before cutting that hole!

I personally have no issues going forward to anchor, because I always boat with my wife. The issue i had with a drum winch was visibly from the lower helm. I would pilot the boat from below in cold or rainy weather and a drum winch would block a lot of the forward view. I've seen fully recessed and partially receded drum winches; that my work on this boat.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by fritzman View Post
    My 2cents set up on my 2859, yes at times I need to help it in to the locker, but it works, the boat holds 600 ft. of rode and 30 ft. chain. Battery is a Optima sealed batt. locater in the forward comp under the bunk, from there to the Windless the cable run is short. For charging Leeds to the battery form the charging system and when pugged in the 110V a 3 bank smart charger.
    That's a great setup, but the early 2850/2858 configuration is different.

Leave a comment:

• C-ya
    replied
    Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Struggling with the same thing on my smaller 2556. Don’t think I could bring myself to mount a drum winch on deck either.
    🥴
    Reading this and other threads for my 2150 and trying to come up with a plan. I think I may fabricate a wooden platform pulpit with slots for a bumper-mount winch (ATV sized should work) with the drum and cable removed and a capstan installed. I won't need a super heavy anchor, but pulling 200-300' of rode will get old if we anchor a lot. ATV winches are cheap ($100) and building a pulpit shouldn't cost too much. With a battery carried up with the winch when you are retrieving, the deck doesn't stay cluttered. Hand lower the anchor, tie it off to a cleat on the added pulpit, done.

Leave a comment:

• fritzman
    replied
    My 2cents set up on my 2859, yes at times I need to help it in to the locker, but it works, the boat holds 600 ft. of rode and 30 ft. chain. Battery is a Optima sealed batt. locater in the forward comp under the bunk, from there to the Windless the cable run is short. For charging Leeds to the battery form the charging system and when pugged in the 110V a 3 bank smart charger.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
    As I mentioned before, I struggled with this issue on the same model boat. I even made a few cardboard and foam mock-ups. In the end I chose not to install a windlass because I did not want to intrude in the V-berth space. I realized that the best solution for the boat would be a drum winch: https://www.invertersupply.com/index...yABEgJI7vD_BwE, https://www.amazon.com/1500W-Stainle.../dp/B07MX9GDD4

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19019.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	557288

🥴

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    As I mentioned before, I struggled with this issue on the same model boat. I even made a few cardboard and foam mock-ups. In the end I chose not to install a windlass because I did not want to intrude in the V-berth space. I realized that the best solution for the boat would be a drum winch: https://www.invertersupply.com/index...yABEgJI7vD_BwE, https://www.amazon.com/1500W-Stainle.../dp/B07MX9GDD4

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19019.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	557288

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    If I didn't already have a windlass, there is no way in hell Id install one over a drum winch.
    Some drum winches require us to be at the bow as to level-wind the rode onto the drum.
    We are also limited to the size/diameter of the drum regarding the amount of rode that it will handle.
    Whereas with a Windlass, they allow us to remain at the helm.
    The rode locker size will be the only limiting factor regarding the length of rode.

Granted, not all boats allow for the proper installation of a Windlass!
    If your bow deck is not suitable, or if a Bow Pulpit cannot be added, you may not want to attempt installing one!

But if it is suitable.......... layout..... layout......more layout..... and even more layout, before cutting that hole!

Leave a comment:

• aknurse
    replied
    If I didnt already have a windlass there is no way in hell Id install one over a drum winch.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    It is very easy to make a mistake when laying out for a windlass.
    Do a search here on the BOC...... we have discussed this many many many times.

I just did a quick image search using my own name.
    Here are few tips.

A Vertical Windlass does not necessarily require more space in the rode locker.
    Also, look at the rode-to-gypsy contact between the two.

Image result for windlass installation by 2850 bounty"

Make certain that your "drop zone" is in the correct location.

Image result for windlass installation by 2850 bounty"

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by MnBoater View Post
    I looked through everything I could find on installing windlass on my boat. It’s 1987 2850 contessa command bridge. Deepest anchoring will be 40 feet. I’m thinking best bang for buck is Lewmar 700. Opinions? Photos of installs? I found photos that won’t download of one completed install. Honestly folks, I searched a lot and didn’t learn much except I wish I had Rick on speed dial! Thanks in advance.
    Glad you started a dedicated thread on this. I tried to do it for you the other day but I must have hit the terminate button by mistake.....

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    I used to have an 89, 2858 and considered installing a windlass a number of times. The problem with the boat is that the anchor locker is too shallow and the rode will just bunch up. A solution is to use the space under he V-berth as a locker. You will need to fabricate a conduit to take the chain below. I've seen a large diameter PVC pipe used that was encased in teak for looks. The new locker should have a grated floor and a small bilge pump. The main reason I did not do this is because of the space it would take from the front of the V-berth and the need to trim and reupholster the cushions.

An alternative to using large cables, as Pete mentioned, is to install a dedicated battery up front. A group-31 should suffice, provided you have a free-fall windlass and are not powering down as well as up. To do this you will need to vent the battery compartment. You will also need a way of charging the battery. A dedicated charger, plus a battery combiner that allows charging from the alternator will work.

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    No matter what windless you install, you are going to need big cables from the batteries. On my boat there’s a windless switch at the lower helm that stays off unless I’m using the winch. From there, the cables go to the foot switches on the foredeck, so you’ll need to do some careful planning for the routing.

Leave a comment:

• MnBoater
    started a topic 1987 2858 adding electric windlass.

1987 2858 adding electric windlass.

I looked through everything I could find on installing windlass on my boat. It’s 1987 2850 contessa command bridge. Deepest anchoring will be 40 feet. I’m thinking best bang for buck is Lewmar 700. Opinions? Photos of installs? I found photos that won’t download of one completed install. Honestly folks, I searched a lot and didn’t learn much except I wish I had Rick on speed dial! Thanks in advance.
Working...
X