Adding generator and cabin heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding generator and cabin heat

I just bought 1987 2850 Contessa Command Bridge with twin OMCs. I want to add cabin heat since the boat will be used on Minnesota Canadian border. Choices seem bring a portable generator on swim platform in which case has anyone done this and exhausted underwater to quiet? Option two, find marine gen that fits. Where does it go? Then I could use electric heaters. Or three, add a gas powered cabin heater. In which case, has anyone got some install or purchase hints? Seems the generator is easiest sine I get other benefits like adding portable AC for rare need or pizza oven use, etc. Ideas? Oh, I am quite handy.

You can put a red dot heater that is connected to the closed cooling system and is basically a car heater. As to adding a generator, a good permanent installation takes up a significant amount of space. Having a portable on the swim step is okay, but surprisingly loud.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• MnBoater
      MnBoater commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I just ordered a Jeggs heater. It has 28,000 btu vs 16000 from the red dot. I fish on the Canada USA line. It’s cold in April!

• Pcpete
      Pcpete commented
      Editing a comment
      With some creativity you could install the heater with ducting to heat more than just the main cabin area. If there’s an enclosure for the command bridge, heat could be ducted up there, but that’s going require some extra creativity to insulate and cover.

I saw a guy do a very clever job adapting a "parking heater" (google search it) on his boat for winter months. For under couple hundred you can have a miserly diesel furnace "parking heater". Truckers use them.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian
    1997 3788 Twin Cummins 250hp

Comment

Like Pete I’d run cabin heat from the closed cooled system if equipped. Onboard genny can be costly
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Here’s Landins diesel heater install:
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...llation-diesel
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

No way a built in genset is going in a Contessa bilge if it has twins.
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

A Planar 44D diesel forced air would probably the easiest install rather than plumbing long cooling lines. Engine heat only heats when running. As a temporary fix a MR Heater propane heats my 2859 nicely. Its a moist heat though. The Planar is a nice dry heat.
            "REEL WILD"
            2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
            Anchorage, Alaska
            If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Originally posted by MnBoater View Post
              I just bought 1987 2850 Contessa Command Bridge with twin OMCs. I want to add cabin heat since the boat will be used on Minnesota Canadian border.
              Are you wanting heat while under-way and/or with engine operating only.... or, are you also wanting heat while at anchor without engine operation?

Choices seem bring a portable generator on swim platform in which case has anyone done this and exhausted underwater to quiet?
              A portable generator will not be capable of using a wet exhaust system.

Option two, find marine gen that fits. Where does it go?
              As said, it is very doubtful that you'd be able to fit a True Marine Generator into this hull with twin engines.

Then I could use electric heaters.
              Only if the generator was capable of producing enough Watts. (resistance heat is Watt hungry)

Or three, add a gas powered cabin heater. In which case, has anyone got some install or purchase hints? Seems the generator is easiest sine I get other benefits like adding portable AC for rare need or pizza oven use, etc. Ideas? Oh, I am quite handy.
              I would suggest that you consider the diesel heater, and then find a location for a small diesel fuel tank.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

As others have mentioned, a forced air diesel heater, with a dedicated fuel tank may be the best alternative. The space on your boat is limited. A couple of locations that will allow for a high enough exhaust are under the helm seat, or in the mid-berth area. I recommend that you take combustion air from outside, rather than from inside the boat. This is more important on a gasoline-powered boat, since you do not want any gasoline fumes getting into the heater's combustion chamber.

I recommend a Webasto heater from Sure Marine in Seattle. They have awesome customer service and very knowledgeable techs. This help may come in handy as you plan and install the heater.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                X