No announcement yet.

attempting to start up vp 260b in a ciera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That amount of rust is unusual unless there had been water in the oil for a while, unless the rust happened because of a pinhole leak in a cooling hose spraying salt water right on that valve cover. I'd try to unstick the engine but also get a heat lamp and carefully warm up the oil pan to approx. 125* or so, just hot enough to pump what is in the pan, out. If its mixed with a lot of water it may not work unless you get it hotter so be careful. If you can unstick the engine, getting what is in the pan out of it, will help if there are rust flakes etc floating around in there or sitting on the bottom.
    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Weird thing is the oil isn't milky at all

Comment

Originally posted by Balen51
        Weird thing is the oil isn't milky at all
        By volume, water is heavier than oil.
        If the water entered the engine after it was shut down for the last time, the water will eventually make its way underneath the oil.
        If that is the case, that would explain why your oil appears to look clean by a dip stick reading!

Milky looking oil occurs when the water is mixed with the oil (as in the engine has been run), and the oil becomes hydrogenated and shows up as being "milky".

You will need to drain some out via the oil pan's drain plug, in order to see if there is any water underneath the oil.
        I would do that first before freeing it up and trying to start the engine.

Once you get it running, it may still turn a bit milky colored.
        As long as it remains mildly hydrogenated, you will be ok.
        Run it and warm it up.

An oil and filter change after that should take care of it.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Ricks gives great advice above. When/if you get this engine fired up you’ll want to keep a close eye on the engine and exhaust system (manifolds &elbows) temperatures, I’d recommend using an IR temp gun for that. Also watch the oil pressure and look at the oil itself. If this is a raw water cooled engine I’d also recommend a cooling system pressure test before you go any further. You don’t want to spend time and money trying to revive it only to find out she’s rusted through at the water jacket somewhere.
          🙁
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

To do the oil change dont you have to suck the oil out the dipstick tube, if it doesnt easily turn over I wont any money into it. Theres boats that run just like the one I have for 500 to a 1000 they just dont have a trailer I'll just have to give away the boat and keep the trailer

Comment

Is there an equal amount of rust under each valve cover, or just under the one that had the pin hole in it? If its only under the one with the pin hole, then that would make sense that you didn't see water in the oil. Sometimes though you if the engine has sat a long time you won't see the milkyness on the dipstick till you run it.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I just got both valve covers on and got the harmonic balancer adapter in and I'm going to get it on and try to turn over by hand. I pulled the hoses off of the Tabasco pump and only good clear water came out no rust so that's a good sign

Comment

Bad news I learned the motor is seized up pretty bad put the crank adaptor on and tried to move it an inch wouldn't move and broke the crank adaptor

Comment

Sorry to hear that but I’m not surprised. You could try soaking the cylinders with marvel mystery oil for a week or so to see if that breaks through the corrosion. Most likely water got into the cylinders from leaky exhaust.

BTY you applied way to much force if you broke the tool.
                    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Its was cheap Chinese it split in half lol. It's been soaking with pb blaster and mmo for three weeks I figured it might be locked up too so no luck, besides the trailer is tandem axle I should be able to get some money out of it thanks to everyone who helped

Comment

I am not suggesting that this would work, but it may be worth trying:

In a 5.7L SBC engine (4" bore), there is roughly 16 sq in of piston deck surface area per cylinder.

With a cylinder on the upwards compression stroke (both valves closed), or at the beginning of a power stroke (both valves closed), 125 psi air pressure (on that cylinder) will provide a downward force of approximately 2,000 lb. on that one piston!

(16 X's 125 = roughly 2,000)

Ideally, you'd want to be half way into either the Compression stroke or the Power stroke in order to give you the best leverage advantage.

You would need to adapt a cylinder pressure gauge "spark plug port fitting" as to accommodate the air hose!

The guy with the jack-hammer would be optional.... but I'd have him standing by!

Click image for larger version  Name:	freeing an engine up with air pressure.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.3 KB ID:	557274
                        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

If you spray penetrating oil in the spark plug holes let it soak in and it still won’t break free; the only other thing you can do is vremove the cyl heads and spray penetrating oil all around the pistons; you can’t really do this with the heads in place. That might free it but is a bit of work to get there...

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

If the air pressure trick does not work, I guess he could give the ole Coffman cartridges a try, like they used in the original Flight of the Phoenix movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwYzAF9bZLI.
                            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Think the drive is seized and not the engine, remove the drive maybe, remove the plugs .

I was going to say remove the engine and set it on a stand crate whatever .
                              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_Alen View Post
                                Think the drive is seized and not the engine, .........................
                                If the drive was the cause of this, he would still be able to rock the crankshaft back and forth a tad bit due to the cushion springs within the Borg Warner drive coupler.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                                X