Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: 2850 Command Bridge Owners ((39)83 -(39) 86)-gctid350975

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    ATTN: 2850 Command Bridge Owners ((39)83 -(39) 86)-gctid350975

    I'll be really looking at these boats soon enough with intent to purchase. Can you guys give me some advice on things to look for in particular during a survey that I should be worried about?

    Also, can you give me your performance numbers with either the duo or single prop (speeds, economy, how heavy you load the boat)?

    I'm going to REALLY miss that AFT cabin in the sunbridge... can the dinette really sleep 2 people or is it tight?

    #2
    I have a 1986, and love it

    Normal me, my son, my nephew, and ex-brother-in-law, will live on it for 3 week at a time....

    "Can the dinette really sleep 2 people or is it tight", IMO it can... if you are really tall, it would be a problem... my nephew, my dad, and ex-brother-in-law have all have slept on it (not all at the same time), and there all around 5'6" to 5'10"...

    I and my son (which is now 5 years old) always sleep in the bow, as I cannot stand the harbor lights. Me and the admiral "slept" in the bow as well and it can get a little tight but once you find the right way to sleep it is fine...

    Also on mine the couch makes in to a bunk bed... which is nice

    As far as the Drive gear.. I still have the old 350 Chevy that came in it (GAS). with the 280 single prop out drive... but of everything I have read over the years the DUO are better on fuel... but I have no problem running all day on half a tank(50 or so gallions) and we normal have a 2 hour run out of Homer, AK to where we like to Fish and then searching for the fish....in Seward, AK we troll a lot there and I can again troll for about 10 hours on half a tank (I only have the one 350 Chevy engine on my boat).

    So as far as how heavy we are....we normal have 3 adults and 1little one (my now 5 year old). And we all way close to 700 to 750 lb together and I would say some were around 300 to 400 lb of gear and food.

    Now I have had 6 full grown "Slope" workers on there at once and just in body's we had to be over 1500 lb plus 300 to 400 lb of gear and food.... the fuel bill was a little higher that day....

    During a survey look at all the normal stuff IMO all boats are about them same and you always look at the same stuff...

    I will see if I can get up on the boat and pull the dinette out and take a few pics for you

    also check Garball's here, he did a nice job re working his http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...um.php?u=45044

    Happy hunting

    Comment


      #3
      Gilligan wrote:
      I'm going to REALLY miss that AFT cabin in the sunbridge
      Just my two cents, but once you go flybridge, you never go back. I never got used to the cramped mid cabins in the sun bridges. And short of going longer or wider, the only way to add square footage is to go UP.

      Comment


        #4
        Optimus wrote:
        Just my two cents, but once you go flybridge, you never go back. I never got used to the cramped mid cabins in the sun bridges. And short of going longer or wider, the only way to add square footage is to go UP.
        The mid cabin in a Contessa is a Queen size bunk with separate door and dressing area. It is far from cramped.
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        2655
        2755
        2850
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

        Comment


          #5
          dmcb wrote:
          The mid cabin in a Contessa is a Queen size bunk with separate door and dressing area. It is far from cramped.
          I guess that's a matter of opinion then.

          Comment


            #6
            Optimus wrote:
            I guess that's a matter of opinion then.
            Queen size is Queen size. Stand up dressing room is just that. The bed is the same size as my 38xx MY That is fact.

            You obviously have not owned a Contessa.

            But it is a matter of opinion. Just don't paint all Sunbridge mid cabins with the same brush. They are not all the same.

            I have owned a 2655, 2755, and a Contessa. The Contessa is nothing like the others.

            Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            2655
            2755
            2850
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

            Comment


              #7
              dmcb wrote:
              Queen size is Queen size. Stand up dressing room is just that. The bed is the same size as my 38xx MY That is fact.

              You obviously have not owned a Contessa.

              But it is a matter of opinion. Just don't paint all Sunbridge mid cabins with the same brush. They are not all the same.

              I have owned a 2655, 2755, and a Contessa. The Contessa is nothing like the others.

              Doug
              I don't recall saying anything about mattress dimensions, nor do I think it is the sole/significant factor in determining overall spaciousness (which itself is a subjective concept). Mattress dimensions pretty much have nothing to do with my reasoning, so I'm not sure why you even bring that up. Queen size is queen size--what does that justify? I guess I should have liked my 2655 mid cabin more because it also had a queen?

              I'm not a fan of Bayliner's mid cabins in general, and I'm pretty sure I don't need your approval, much less be compelled to list all the boats I've owned. I believe I started my first post with "my two cents" which pretty much implies my opinion right off the bat. I think their are better ways to lay out the space. Warning Doug, my next paragraph is full of more opinions, so you may want to skip it.

              Mid cabins tend to feel like caves, TO ME, particularly on smaller boats (

              Comment


                #8
                +10 to Doug. That cabin is awesome and my wifes favorite part of the boat... Its what I'm afraid of losing.

                Optimus - your comments are appreciated and helpful, thanks.

                Neo thanks also.- just what I was looking for. I'm only going volvo and am trying to find the duo but you never know. What kind of planing and wot speeds do you get?

                Are the bunks suitable for a 200lb adult?

                Is there good storage for supplies and clothing?

                Are there any common problems you are aware of?

                I don't have a chance to visit any of these since most are almost 4 hours away so please understand the questions and why I'm asking.

                And YES I would love to see as many pics as possible.

                Comment


                  #9
                  My $0.2 is that the bunks are a bit of a waste and the extra couch makes it feel pretty cramped. In my Contessa I removed the starboard couch and installed a standup bar with a flatscreen TV that could be watched from the larger L-sette on port. I found having 4 people sitting on that couch was not an issue but I also lived in the boat for 2 years and did a bit of adapting.

                  I missed the "aft-cabin' on my 2455 but never liked the forward "bed". I comfortably slept on the L-sette in the 2850 and I'm 6'2". Also from what I saw when removing the bunk beds I wouldn't try to put 200 lbs on the top - not saying its impossible but I think it would fail. And the V-berth is fine for sleeping 2 (or 3) ... queen size is correct.

                  Storage is adequate; I kept a 5-HP Nissan in the engine bay along with various tools strapped in. In the cabin there is space under the L-sette (I installed a microwave under there) but it can get a bit damp; further down there is more space under the table but again its a bit moist, at least in Vancouver. There's a small hanging locker in the V-berth with space for a few coats, enough space for cooking utensils, plates etc and food for a few days. There is another locker under the pilot seat inside that I used to hold quite a few shirts on hangers.

                  The bridge is a little cramped so I had to move the pilot's seat but I still managed to often have 4 good friends up there ; ] And there is space for life jackets and safety gear up there.

                  Duo-prop if at all possible. In fact I have a dp lower with 1:95 gears - if anyone needs one pm me. And Mike I can send you pictures if you want to send me an email address.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    John,

                    I saw one boat were the owner took out the bunks and put in custom cabinets - I imagine you would prefer that. I like the bunks for the kids and the seating I think, but can see where it might crowd things up some... arrrggghhh, the decisions!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Gilligan wrote:
                      John,

                      I saw one boat were the owner took out the bunks and put in custom cabinets - I imagine you would prefer that. I like the bunks for the kids and the seating I think, but can see where it might crowd things up some... arrrggghhh, the decisions!
                      Well Mike one thing more.

                      You have small kids. You will not have more if you do away with that door you can close.
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      2655
                      2755
                      2850
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

                      Comment


                        #12
                        [QUOTE]Optimus wrote:
                        I don't recall saying anything about mattress dimensions, nor do I think it is the sole/significant factor in determining overall spaciousness (which itself is a subjective concept). Mattress dimensions pretty much have nothing to do with my reasoning, so I'm not sure why you even bring that up. Queen size is queen size--what does that justify? I guess I should have liked my 2655 mid cabin more because it also had a queen?

                        I'm not a fan of Bayliner's mid cabins in general, and I'm pretty sure I don't need your approval, much less be compelled to list all the boats I've owned. I believe I started my first post with "my two cents" which pretty much implies my opinion right off the bat. I think their are better ways to lay out the space. Warning Doug, my next paragraph is full of more opinions, so you may want to skip it.

                        Mid cabins tend to feel like caves, TO ME, particularly on smaller boats (
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        2655
                        2755
                        2850
                        3870 presently owned
                        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

                        Comment


                          #13
                          dmcb wrote:
                          Well Mike one thing more.

                          You have small kids. You will not have more if you do away with that door you can close.
                          Hahaha... well, no more kids for me, but I like to keep practicing anyway.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            :d
                            ..........
                            Started boating 1955
                            Number of boats owned 32
                            Bayliners
                            2655
                            2755
                            2850
                            3870 presently owned
                            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Practice makes perfect! We love our 2850 Contessa Command Bridge!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X