No announcement yet.

Bayliner 38 with worn out Mitsubishis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, there are a couple of guys at Dagmars that break up boats and may have a set of mits that are at least cores. You might be able to work a deal with them about r&r. They both work in the shop doing maintenance on the machines so it would be side work.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

If the engines are using that much oil, it has to either smoke or leave an oily sheen on the water, or at the least have an oily exhaust/turbo outlet....

one thing that comes to mind is.... are the engines setting fairly level on their mountings, or are they tilted up for a better prop shaft angle???? usually a tilted engine will need to have the dipstick re-calibrated, because it may always show "low oil" on the indicator (when in fact, the oil level is correct) which causes one to add more oil to the engine to bring the level up to the full mark on the stick.... this is bad for the engine as it could cause low end damage... and all the excess oil WILL get blown out the exhaust and it can cause oil leaks from the engine, as it runs....

if the rings were worn so bad that its letting that much oil by them, I would think you would have cold starting issues as well....

"Low compression would result in lower power"
      yes, but probably not noticeable unless you were operating at WOT...

"If the rings were good I would consider doing top overhauls"
      im not sure what you mean by this, as the rings ARE top end parts... if they are good, there is no need for a top end overhaul....

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

rings were good I would consider doing top overhauls"
        im not sure what you mean by this, as the rings ARE top end parts... if they are good, there is no need for a top end overhaul....

I don’t know if there’s a technical definition but I think most associate rings as part of the bottom end with the heads and valve train the top end. I assumed the OP meant a valve job when he stated top end. I’ve been wrong before though!
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
          rings were good I would consider doing top overhauls"

I don’t know if there’s a technical definition but I think most associate rings as part of the bottom end with the heads and valve train the top end. I assumed the OP meant a valve job when he stated top end. I’ve been wrong before though!
          Anything below the head gasket is the bottom end including piston rings. Above the head gasket is the top end so yes this implies a valve job.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post

Anything below the head gasket is the bottom end including piston rings. Above the head gasket is the top end so yes this implies a valve job.
            The confusion comes from the way engines are designed. On an engine with removable cylinders (most motorcycle and small airplane engines, for example) a top end overhaul is generally understood to include the cylinders, pistons, and rings.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

The confusion comes from the way engines are designed. On an engine with removable cylinders (most motorcycle and small airplane engines, for example) a top end overhaul is generally understood to include the cylinders, pistons, and rings.
              Agree with what you said but that is limited to those type of engine which are air cooled and since we are talking boats here that doesn’t apply.
              1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Norton, I agree with your assessment. Since the Mits don’t have removable cylinders I just assumed the rings were part of the bottom end.
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post

Agree with what you said but that is limited to those type of engine which are air cooled and since we are talking boats here that doesn’t apply.
                  Not necessarily, there are a number of water cooler engines with removable cylinders.
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Pcpete
                    Pcpete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Our EH700’s for one

as wrong as I may be, I have always considered anything that comes out the top, is the "top end" and everything that comes out the bottom, is the "bottem end" .... there are others in my area who call it the same as I do... and im sure, as far as mechanics go, im just a youngster compared to some of the old salts who have been at years longer, but ive been doing it professionally for about 40yrs, and STILL dont know it all, and maybe even learned something new today..... I do appreciate the knowledge ;-)

NU LIBERTE'
                  Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                  5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                  N2K equipped throughout..
                  2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                  2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                  '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                  Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I get lost in nomenclature all the time. To me, any dinglewuppie that’s hooked up to that crooked rotating thingy is da bottom end. If it hold the up and down it must be a block. If it’s screwed onto the top of the block, it’s gotta be the top. Simple.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                    MMSI 367770440
                    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

When I re-powered my 38xx I purchased a pair of GM 350 crate engines.
                      I bought a crank mounted sea water pump and marine exhaust manifolds and marine electronic ignitions,
                      You can buy a lot of gasoline for the price difference of gas vs new diesels.
                      I also have gasoline fume sensors and a huge automatic Halon system that came with the boat.
                      I usually travel on one engine since I commercially fish from my 3870 and have 12 120 qt coolers full of ice on board going out and full of rockfish and ice coming back to the dock.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Pat
                        have you had any issues running on one eng. I keep hearing the the transmission will overheat?
                        Thanks Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X