Mercruiser Cummins 4.2 Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercruiser Cummins 4.2 Diesel

From the UK. New to boating, purchased a 2004 Discovery 288 with a Mercruiser Cummins Diesel, boats done 240 hrs, first trip out was going fine ran at full throttle and then idled and then full throttle etc, then after another period of high throttle the revs started to lower and then the engine cut out, checked everything I could think of, lanyard kill switch etc, but couldn't see anything wrong, engine temperature was OK etc. Started back up and ran for a while and then the same thing, running rough and cut out. did this many times before we were able us to get back to the mooring.
    Felt like it was being starved of fuel so I wonder if the fuel is bad (Diesel Bug) or fuel filter blocked, any ideas?

Also a newbie to the Mercruiser Cummins Diesel so don't now where to look for fuel filter etc, can anybody point me in the right direction?

Does sound like a fuel issue. Find the filter, replace it as a first measure. How old is the fuel in the tank? And what ambient temperature was it when the problem occurred? If summer diesel is used with cold temps, it can 'jelly' and cause this kind of issue. Adding an injector cleaner like Seafoam can help it. Best of luck!
    Jeff Prime
    "Optimystic Prime"
    2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Parkeseee
      Parkeseee commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks Jeff for the advice, being new to boating the response is helpful

• Parkeseee
      Parkeseee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jeff, also meant to respond to your questions, we have only just purchased the boat form a lady who's husband passed away, I don't think she's really taken the boat on the water for some time so the diesel could be quite old. There is three quarters of a tank of diesel in there.
      The ambient temperature was around 12 degrees C, around 54 F. Have you used Seafoam yourself?

Fuel filters is the cheapest and best thing to start with. A fuel filter will do this. You run and it sucks up the crud in the filter and shuts down. After the pressure is off when stopped, it settles in the filter. Run it and repeat.
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

• Parkeseee
      Parkeseee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice I will indeed try to find and replace the filter
Working...
X