3.0 WITERIZING PULL THERMOSTAT HOSE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.0 WITERIZING PULL THERMOSTAT HOSE?

hEY JUST LOOKING AT MY shop manual and it says pull thermostat hose of in the winterize chapter . I don't remember doing that . Is that the upper side or lower side and it gets reconnected right afterwards?

Normally you remove the block drain plugs, poke em, and then disconnect the bottom end of the big hose that connects the thermostat housing and the front circulating pump. That will take care of draining the engine. Then you have to drain the exhaust manifolds and disconnect and drain the raw water intake hose. An inline engine will have one block drain plug and one manifold drain plug, a V6 or V8 will have one plug on each side of the block and one on each exhaust manifold.

You need to post up what engine you have for more specific information.
    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

What year is this engine? Does it have the quick drain hoses?
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

2005 it has quick connects

Comment

If this is what Merc calls a "single point drain system, do a Google search; "issues with Mercruiser's single point drain system".
          Read the negative aspects of it, and you'll probably convince yourself that you'll want to remove that system.

Also, if you are tempted to use one of the Camco, Star-Brite or WestMarine winterizing kits, please read my Amazon write-up.
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...at_pdctrvw_srp

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Get a nice set of picks and poke those holes good. Make sure water comes out of each one, if not find out why!

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

I think you have the system with the two blue hoses that get unhooked and dropped into the bilge to drain the block. If so that's what I had in my 2003 Searay. I was instructed to drop those two blue hoses into the and to remove the hose from the water pump. This is the large hose that goes from the Thermostat housing for the the water pump.
              2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
              Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
              Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
              Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
              1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

However, if the hose attached to where the drain plug goes does not drain water, that is a problem! You would then have to remove the hose at the block and rod out the opening in the block to make sure it drains.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Listen to Rick and others. The problem with a quick drain is if one is clogged with sand and no water comes out, how do you know that. Personally I want to see each drain actually have water come out. Thus poking the drain to get any sand flowing. My friend lost two engines not doing this. He powered loaded at the end of the season and got sand in the blocks. His fall lay up was perfect. The spring, not so good. He didn't probe the drain to be sure water came out.
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned
                  Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                  X