Outdrive limit switch-gctid350823

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdrive limit switch-gctid350823

Am finishing up new engine installation in 1992 TROPHY 2359 with ALPHA, gen 2 outdrive. I am installing a new limit switch for the outdrive and going through the installation set up per manual. The limit switch does not cut of the pump no matter what the position of the switch. I tried both shorting the leads from the switch and disconnecting the leads from the switch and nothing seems to stop the pump. Does anyond have a suggestion as to what could be wrong? Does anyone know how this switch is supposed to limt the travel of the outdrive?

mertaugh wrote:
    Am finishing up new engine installation in 1992 TROPHY 2359 with ALPHA, gen 2 outdrive. I am installing a new limit switch for the outdrive and going through the installation set up per manual. The limit switch does not cut of the pump no matter what the position of the switch. I tried both shorting the leads from the switch and disconnecting the leads from the switch and nothing seems to stop the pump. Does anyond have a suggestion as to what could be wrong? Does anyone know how this switch is supposed to limt the travel of the outdrive?
    Try this link - http://www.mercstuff.com/trimb.htm

Comment

On a related note, if I cut the wires to the trim senders (they were severly corroded) do I need to complete a circuit somewhere or leave it as it is. When I push up on the trim button nothing happens. I get movement pressing down or using the trailer position button.

Jason

Comment

jmcnair101 wrote:
        On a related note, if I cut the wires to the trim senders (they were severly corroded) do I need to complete a circuit somewhere or leave it as it is. When I push up on the trim button nothing happens. I get movement pressing down or using the trailer position button.

Jason
        It is not a good plan to leave hot wires open to the air or water. At a minimum you should insulate and seal the wires.

Sounds like your trim limit circuit is not working as you cannot trim up without using the trailer switch.

Don't know what outdrive you have, but I replaced my Bravo II limit switch and trim sensor myself, not that big of a job. The wires were corroded and the sender and limit switch looked pretty ratty. I have heard of others who have done some wire repair on their units and were satisfied, but mine were pretty shot so I replaced the whole thing.

Comment

jmcnair101 wrote:

Jason
          I had a broken wire somewhere between the wire joiner, located behind the engine and the transom, and the sender itself.

It means removing the leg to replace the wiring.

I just disconnected the sender wires and put a jumper wire between the 2 wires going back to the up/down switch.

This allows you to use the normal up/down buttons but the pump will not cut out on the upward movement.

Not a big deal, because I always set it to how the boat reacted, not what the trim gauge said.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X