Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engines stalling - Bayliner 3058 Motoryacht - 30'

Hi there gang.

This is my first time posting there. I just bought a Bayliner 3058 Motoryacht - 30'. Its great but I'm having a problem. The engines keep stalling when at idle...but only when in gear. (I could be crazy here...) I let them warm up and they are just fine when in neutral ...but as soon as i put it in gear it goes....this is usually when I am docking in my hard to get to slip. It's hard to notice because the sound of the other engine is still going....but then as soon as I cant steer I usually know that it has gone....Could this just be the idle is adjusted wrong.....or something like bad spark plugs? I also heard the term AIC or something used a couple times.......any help would be appreciated. Nice to meet you all too. =)
    1991 - Bayliner 3058 Motoryacht - 30'

What engines do you have gas/diesel? size? AIC or do you mean IAC which is used on fuel injected gas engines?
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

It has 2 x 5 liter mercruisers....both run on gas.....it was IAC's that my buddy was talking about but, the boat has carbs I thought....so would that rule out IAC's?? Your advice is much appreciated...

Comment

Shift interrupters or shift assist may have been what your buddy was referring to.
        The outdrives are Alpha gen 2’s correct?
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by BaylinerCAN View Post
          It has 2 x 5 liter mercruisers....both run on gas.....it was IAC's that my buddy was talking about but, the boat has carbs I thought....so would that rule out IAC's?? Your advice is much appreciated...
          Correct no IAC.

Are these I/Os (non-Bravo) or inboards? Does the engine stall when shifting into gear or shifting out of gear? The latter and if I/O would as Dave suggested.
          Not clear to me is it both engines or just one that dies? What is their idle rpm in and out of gear? I'm assuming this just started, correct?

Mike

Comment

Not sure if they are Alpha Gen 2's or not...

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post

Correct no IAC.

Are these I/Os (non-Bravo) or inboards? Does the engine stall when shifting into gear or shifting out of gear? The latter and if I/O would as Dave suggested.
            Not clear to me is it both engines or just one that dies? What is their idle rpm in and out of gear? I'm assuming this just started, correct?
            I/O's yes.....I am really not sure when it actually dies because I can never it because the other engine is still running...I think it just died once it has been in gear (but I could be wrong, I'll look into this)

I think it is just the port-side engine as of now. When idling it stays totally steady at about 700 rpm. But once in gear it dips and isn't steady....

I just bought the boat so not sure how long this has been going on. Probably for awhile. =)

Thanks again guys.

Comment

In gear the idle should be 550 rpm. If its not idling smoothly could be a carb or fuel issue. Is this engine on a separate fuel tank from the other? The shift interrupt switch used on Alpha I/Os temporary shorts the ignition to reduce load on the dog clutch in the drive to reduce wear when shifting out of gear. When the lower shift cable get old in increases in drag causing the interrupt switch to be closed too long killing the engine.

Mike

Comment

When you shift, how do you operate the lever? Mercruiser has a system that causes a momentary cutoff of power to the coil to create a moment of slack in the gear system, kind of like depressing a clutch on a car, to allow the gears to move into place. The appropriate way to shift is to snap the shifter into or out of gear. It’s counterintuitive, you want to be gentle, and you can be, but just be quick.
                If you have Alphas, the next item I’d look at is the shift interrupter. It’s located in the assembly where the cables from the helm and drive are connected, probably mounted to the starboard exhaust manifold. There’s an an arrowhead shaped piece that has a notch and micro switch lever in the notch. When the shifter is activated the arrowhead develops a load on the spring and at a certain point, it lets loose momentarily closing the micro switch and grounding the ignition, the arrowhead then springs back to its neutral position opening the micro switch and shutting off the ground. That’s a long sentence that you will probably read a few times and go “huh?”
                If you have Bravos, I’m no help on that shift system. I went from alphas to inboards.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                MMSI 367770440
                1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Pcpete haha..."That’s a long sentence that you will probably read a few times and go “huh?"......haha you know me very well already =)

It sounds as if I shift correctly.

I will try and find a video or something about this....thanks for the great info

**** sidenote - How do you guys edit your signatures? I cant find the option anyways...

Comment

• pgiconch
                    pgiconch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Go to your "my profile" upper right of any page. Then click on the Edit button, then on the Account tab. Scroll down a ways and you should see "conversation detail options". In that section click on the "edit post signature" line and it will open a box in which you can put all the information you want to post with each of your responses.

3058 with sbc’s had A drives from factory.
                  To clarify: the shift assist system momentarily stumbles the ignition creating a sudden drop in rpm to allow the drive to come out of gear, it’ll go into gear regardless if there’s a shift assist or not.
                  OP: this is a new to you boat so I’d suggest looking at the engines overall health first. Look at the plugs, cap/rotor and ensure the carburetor is working as it should. If those things check out then I’d suggest doing some testing while tied to the dock running only the suspect engine shifting in and out of gear. This may include temporarily disconnecting the shift assist in an effort to eliminate that system as the cause of your issue.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                  (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                  The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                    3058 with sbc’s had A drives from factory.
                    To clarify: the shift assist system momentarily stumbles the ignition creating a sudden drop in rpm to allow the drive to come out of gear, it’ll go into gear regardless if there’s a shift assist or not.
                    OP: this is a new to you boat so I’d suggest looking at the engines overall health first. Look at the plugs, cap/rotor and ensure the carburetor is working as it should. If those things check out then I’d suggest doing some testing while tied to the dock running only the suspect engine shifting in and out of gear. This may include temporarily disconnecting the shift assist in an effort to eliminate that system as the cause of your issue.
                    Excellent suggestion. Didn't even think of shifting into drive or reverse with the boat docked.. but it should be fine to try. Will report back. Thank you. =)

Comment

+1 for dockside testing. Just ensure you tie off well and only one engine at a time.
                      1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
                      "Sea Flights"
                      5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition and raw water cooling
                      A​​​​​​lpha I Gen II Sterndrive/1.45:1 gears
                      M15.25 X 15P Black Max prop
                      MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
                      Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Plus another. One engine at a time, only at an idle, lots of fenders, extra lines to cleats. Don’t ask.
                        Btw, I have some leftover spares for alphas from my previous boat. PM me if you are interested. To message any of us, click on the persons profile and there will be a box for sending a private message.
                        P/C Pete
                        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                        MMSI 367770440
                        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Is it possible you might be shifting into gear too slow to get past the assist...?
                          1988 3888
                          Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                          Onan 8KW

Comment

Good morning all!

I have not had a chance yet to do the tests that you guys suggested ...but thought that I might add a few things that my buddy reminded me of so that I am not sending us all on a wild goose-chase.

1 - Engines stake 10-15 seconds to start when cold and...

2 - They have a hard time restarting once they die, or are unable to start at all and need to sit for a while.

These are just side details but might ad to the diagnosis. =)

Have a wonderful day. I will report back soon.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X